"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Third ebay Phone This Week - Another 302

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 03, 2010, 03:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220596182706

I felt sorry for this phone because nobody seemed to want it, and anyway $10 isn't a bad price for a 302.  The dial face, which appears to be in great condition, is worth more than that.  A bit of cleaning should unstick the dial.

Larry

Dennis Markham

That is a good buy, Larry.  And wouldn't it be great if there's a #4 dial in that phone?  That would make the purchase even more sweet.  With the later 4 prong plug...what are those, 505A's, it may have been refurbished sometime in the mid 1960's.  You don't see too many #4's that late, if any.

LarryInMichigan

I expect that the dial is a #6 because of the shorter, fatter finger stop.  I don't have any #4 dials here, but I have some #5s, and the finger stops on the #5 are longer and thinner.  At any rate, $10 is still cheap.

Larry

Dennis Markham

It is cheap.  That porcelain looks to be in good condition too.  I look forward to seeing photos once you get it in your hands.

Doug Rose

Z plates are pretty rare on a #6, I'm betting on a 5H and its a steal for the just the dial plate at that price. Nice find Larry.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today.  It appears to be all original from 9-52.  The dial is a 6A.  It didn't return, but I sprayed alot of contact cleaner into it, and it seems to turn properly now.  The handset cord is shot, and the feet are in bad shape.  The handset is covered with thick goo, probably from an old sticker.  I plan to post some pictures once it's decent.  I will probably give this phone as a housewarming gift to friends who just bought a house nearby, but I have to make it presentable and working properly.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here are couple of pictures of the phone after a good cleaning and polishing.  The feet had been covered with some sort of felt, but the felt was torn on three of them and worn thin on the fourth, so I put new felt on them.  The handset cord was shot, so I used a cheap dollar store cord which should be sufficient for the intended recipient of the phone who will probably be more interested in utility than authenticity.  At any rate, I do not have any other spare cords at the present.

The phone came out quite well.  The spots in the picture are dust or dirt which I did not notice until after I took the pictures.  The inside was lightly dusty but otherwise quite clean with no rust.  Everything works well.  I hope that my friends enjoy it. 

Larry

Jim Stettler

I have a method of using mod handset cords on old phones. I will share it if their is interest. I used to use mod cords on phones that I sold to the public, This was to keep the phones affordable.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

I just buy a 25' black modular cord for $1, cut it up into several pieces, and put spade connectors on the ends of the wires.  It may not come out museum quality, but it works.  I do the same with line cords.

Larry

Jim Stettler

My method is to use g handsets mods with the spare plastic dremoled off. You can fit them into most early handsets and I was getting better connectivaty with the mods, than the spade ends I was using. The transition on the cord bothered me, but It didn't seem to bother the "public".

I did have a lot of spare mod connectors that I bought cheap at a show.

The mod 554 backboards will retro nicely onto 354's and AE 90's. I was able to use trimline (wall) mod adaptors (round top) on the round top spacesavers. I cut off the excess and painted them black.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010