News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 232: Stromberg Carlson Oilcan Candlestick - Ended 10-19-16

Started by TelePlay, October 13, 2016, 09:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

Listed about 12 hours ago in a 7 day auction with no reserve starting at $85.00 is what appears to be a diamond in the rough SC nickel plated? oilcan candlestick. The seller provided a good array of external photos which show at least one defect, a broken mouthpiece. Within 10 hours of being listed, the phone attracted 2 buyers increasing the the starting price to a still low $102.50. So, once again who best knows what this item will sell for when the auction ends?

NOTE:We will use a $5 gap rule between guesses to prevent crowding. As such, keep your guess at least $5 away from prior guesses for this contest.

The seller listed it as an "ANTIQUE STROMBERG CARLSON CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE NICKLE VTG " with the item condition as "Used" and "Untested, the mouthpiece is cracked and crudely repaired with some old failing tape, there is loss of the nickle/chrome coating, plus light scratches especially on the base, condition can be seen in photos, please see all photos in enlarge mode, ask for more if you need to see other angles...thanks" and with the auction listing description saying "ANTIQUE STROMBERG CARLSON TEL. MFG -- CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE NICKLE VTG -- SOME WONDERFUL DETAIL ON THIS BEAUTIFUL OLD TELEPHONE. -- SEE THE MACHINING ON SOME OF THE SCREWS / NUTS -- PLEASE NOTE THE RECEIVER /EAR PIECE IS MARKED WESTERN ELECTRIC -- IT'S LATEST PATENT DATE IS 1913 -- THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN ADDED LATER TO THE MAIN TELEPHONE? -- *ALSO, THE PHONE IS MORE SILVER LOOKING THAN SOME OF THESE PHOTOS SHOW IT TO BE -- THE MOUTHPIECE IS CRACKED BUT THESE ARE EASY TO FIND REPLACEMENTS -- (AS A COLLECTOR YOU MIGHT ALREADY HAVE ONE LYING AROUND?!) -- SERIAL #'S ON THE BASE AND THE TOP -- I'M NOT A COLLECTOR OF THIS KIND OF ITEM SO MY KNOWLEDGE IS LIMITED BUT FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS, I'LL DO MY BEST IN ANSWERING THEM! -- (please note if this has bids on it Ebay wont allow me to add any text to the description, --  make sure to check for any replies to questions, as this is where I might be able to add extra info if needed!) -- PLEASE SEE PHOTOS IN ENLARGE MODE AS PICTURES ARE PART OF THE DESCRIPTION "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381812118245

It's another chance to move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list,

. . . for as twocvbloke said,   ---> "You gotta be in it to win it !!!" ;D "

If you want to see most of the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$     400.00 - wds  ( 9 )
$     580.00 - tallguy58  ( 8 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $539.00
$     695.00 - andre_janew  ( 6 )
$     700.00 - Fabius  ( 1 )
$     737.00 - Pourme  ( 3 )
$     800.00 - Kenton K  ( 12 )
$     850.00 - Autonut  ( 5 )
$  1,000.00 - HarrySmith  ( 7 )
$  1,100.00 - compubit  ( 10 )
$  1,200.00 - 19and41  ( 4 )
$  1,250.00 - Jim S.  ( 2 )
$  1,350.00 - TelePlay  ( 11 )

Early Morning Auction Status

10-12-16      Listed        $     85.00
10-13-16     2 bids         $   102.50    ( 2 bidders )
10-14-16     4 bids         $   300.00    ( 4 bidders )
10-15-16     4 bids         $   300.00
10-16-16     4 bids         $   300.00
10-17-16     4 bids         $   300.00
10-18-16     4 bids         $   300.00
10-19-16     4 bids         $   300.00
10-19-16     6 bidders, 20 bids $100.00  Ended at 19:37:58 PDT

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Kenton K

TelePlay

The winner of Auction Contest #232 is tallguy58, who with the 8th entry into the contest offered the winning guess of $580.00 giving him his 8th auction contest win. Once again, our congratulations go out to tallguy58 for another win in the CRPF Auction Contests and for moving up one rung in the Contest Standings.

The phone was won by h***r ( 1426 ) whose final bid placed about 2 hours before the auction ended was high enough to withstand the last second sniped placed by two bidders to take the phone home for $539.00. The auction saw 6 bidders placing 20 bids.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 232 contests and the latest additions to the CRPF Hall of Fame

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.