"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CRPF Award for "Worst Picture of an eBay auction item"

Started by AE_Collector, December 06, 2010, 01:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on July 29, 2017, 06:53:56 PM
I has to be seen in context to appreciate while not the worst picture ever posted on eBay, for a seller to post just one image of a phone  like this makes one wonder how serious the seller is about selling the phone?

Or worse yet, they are quite serious about selling, not so serious about packing!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Hard to beat these types of listing pictures as being among the worst.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucent-Technologies-2-Line-882-Personal-Information-Center-Phone/152828827496

Seller's Description:  "Good condition. "

19and41

Now, what says lucent better than that picture, I ask you?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

twocvbloke

I think the seller put the wrong picture up, that one is of a black cat in a coal shed...  ;D

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 15, 2017, 08:20:40 AM
I think the seller put the wrong picture up, that one is of a black cat in a coal shed...  ;D

I've seen Polar Bears in a Snow Storm but not a Black Cat in a Coal Shed before. I think I will save that picture for future reference.

Terry

TelePlay

The eBay handle for that seller is "coffee_maker_graveyard" so that might explain his view of things.

BTW:  after one day, still the same photo.

Also, BTW:  I copied the image and ran it through Photoshop Elements and I have to say, there is something there.

If you click on this image and stare at it long enough you can see it. At first it looks like a Rorschach Test image but if you look closer, and longer, you will see it, a fractal of nothingness.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on December 15, 2017, 01:04:28 PM
If you click on this image and stare at it long enough you can see it. At first it looks like a Rorschach Test image but if you look closer, and longer, you will see it, a fractal of nothingness.

But in the seller's defense, the fractal of nothingness is in good condition.
TWinbrook7

19and41

It was revealing to go to the auction and now see what that posted picture was supposed to be.  If it was a black cat in a coal shed, it was asleep, because no eyes were present in the nebulous blackness.  The enhanced picture looked like an infrared picture of the cats' breath.  :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: 19and41 on December 17, 2017, 09:09:22 AM
It was revealing to go to the auction and now see what that posted picture was supposed to be.  If it was a black cat in a coal shed, it was asleep, because no eyes were present in the nebulous blackness.  The enhanced picture looked like an infrared picture of the cats' breath.  :)

Or maybe a close-up of that elusive eye!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Looks like the seller finally got around to putting up better pictures. Maybe the original was just a too close close up of the handset?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 17, 2017, 09:50:57 AM
Looks like the seller finally got around to putting up better pictures.

That always raises a question of the seller's sanity. The biggest bang you get on a listing is when it is a new listing, when people bid or click watch. With no picture, neither of those happen and adding a good image days later, well, the phone is not seen until a few hours before the end time when buyers check those listing for a good deal.

I know eBay provides both a Preview mode and a Save and Continue Later option to check it and then to save it if it needs something simple, like photos. To list something with the wrong or a bad photo is just not the thing to do. Why waste the time of putting up a listing in a rush only to have sellers ignore it?

AE_Collector

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 17, 2017, 08:31:31 AM
But in the seller's defense, the fractal of nothingness is in good condition.

May have never been found used!

Quote from: 19and41 on December 17, 2017, 09:09:22 AM
If it was a black cat in a coal shed, it was asleep, because no eyes were present in the nebulous blackness.

That's a cats "Default Mode". I know, I've got two of them keeping the cushion in their window seat warm right now!

Terry

FABphones

A, erm, thingamebob. Photo was in with bakelite parts for sale.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

AL_as_needed

Quote from: FABphones on January 14, 2019, 06:07:43 PM
A, erm, thingamebob. Photo was in with bakelite parts for sale.

I think we found a new CRPF game. It's like Pictionary but uses less than ideal Ebay photos...
TWinbrook7