News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Making a ring booster

Started by markosjal, December 06, 2020, 04:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Anyone have any ideas on how to make a riing booster? It seems to me that some time ago I read somewhere how to make one with a Western Electric Ring generator. I can not find that now however, but did locate a low cost kellogg ring generator.

kellogg ring generators (NOS) TA182/U
20 Hz vibrator type ringing generator made in 1953

110 vdc input generates a 65v, 20 cycle, 50ma signal that will ring any telephone. Naturally this is a vibrating inverter style. 2" x 2-7/8"H x 3-3/8"W. Four corner mounting studs. Four insulated I/O terminals on bottom. Hermetically sealed.

I was thinking about simply using a relay but then would probably lose caller ID as it appears to be passed ring ringing and possibly even while a ringing voltage is happening. Of course I may be able to just switch Caller ID mode to FSK before ringing on ATA (Maybe?) . 
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

That is the thread I searched for.

Thanks!

Jim Stettler

Regarding caller ID.
I have used a spare pair on my wiring to provide a caller ID jack next to phones that are connected to  a Panasonic PBX.
I use double jack plates and break out the caller ID jack on each end.
On the feed they are in front of the PBX. on the field side they were  on the upper jack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used nice standalone caller ID units.  The nice units can dial back from internal memory.
Caller ID units are getting harder to find.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

markosjal

Since I am containing it all in the pictured phone, along with an Obi200, RotaTone, and the Ring Booster,  2 or 3 wire wiring is no issue.  This is to be a POE  (Power over Ethernet)  Google Voice Phone that gets all power and and network from a single connection.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: markosjal on January 19, 2021, 01:21:51 PM
Anyone have experience with the Cambridge Ring Generators?

I have one somewhere. I have never used it.
This was the first ring generator that collectors were using as a portable ring generator for testing phones at yard sales.
It is similar to the PowerDsine ring generator, which I have used.
I think both companies will make them as freq. Generators as well.

This style of ring generator is a fun device. They are cheap and fun to play with.

Cambridge Labs  is  a member of the forum, they haven't signed in for almost a year.
Member camblab

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.