News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cool Find From CL

Started by DebbieDoo, April 03, 2014, 09:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebbieDoo

I found this on my local Craigslist under antiques.  All I know is that is a WE 302.  There are no markings on the bottom of the phone however on the inside there are a couple of sets of numbers.  Maybe you all can help me identify it further.  They had it in this cool old WE 500 DR-60 box.....just a little bonus. ;)  Sorry for the poor quality photo's.  I can't take an unblurry pic if my life depended on it!! lol

WesternElectricBen

One of phoneitus symptoms, buying something your not really into.. But, regaurdless, very nice find, the 302 looks nice, especially with it's cords. Would I be right if I said the phone was made of plastic, rather than metal?

Your right, the box doesn't match, but like you said, a nice bonus.

Ben

DebbieDoo

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 03, 2014, 09:50:26 PM
One of phoneitus symptoms, buying something your not really into.. But, regaurdless, very nice find, the 302 looks nice, especially with it's cords. Would I be right if I said the phone was made of plastic, rather than metal?

Your right, the box doesn't match, but like you said, a nice bonus.

Ben

Yeah, Ben, I'm just learning all the model numbers etc.  I love the look of these for sure.  I only paid $25.00 for it. 

Yes, it is plastic.  The numbers on the inside are as follows 10 & or 8 215, then 35016. 

Matilo Telephones

A great find!

What are the numbers you found on the inside?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

DebbieDoo

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on April 04, 2014, 01:07:55 AM
A great find!

What are the numbers you found on the inside?

It shows the following sequence: 10 then an & or an 8 then 215.  Then 35016.  On the inside of the base plate it says 10/45.  This is all I could find on the inside.

Thanks for any input you might have on this.

poplar1

There are many dates on a 302: Inside, in addition to the dates on the base and housing, there should be a date on the ringer, induction coil, condenser, dial, and cords (on the restraints). Also on the number plate, transmitter, receiver and the F-1 handle--so 12 dates total, not including the caps, which are probably not dated. The handle will have a 2- or 3-digit number at the top--for example 95 for 9/45 or 105 for 10/45.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DebbieDoo

Quote from: poplar1 on April 04, 2014, 03:00:38 AM
There are many dates on a 302: Inside, in addition to the dates on the base and housing, there should be a date on the ringer, induction coil, condenser, dial, and cords (on the restraints). Also on the number plate, transmitter, receiver and the F-1 handle--so 12 dates total, not including the caps, which are probably not dated. The handle will have a 2- or 3-digit number at the top--for example 95 for 9/45 or 105 for 10/45.

There is a 10/45 number on the inside of the base plate.  What does that mean?  I'll look again to see what other numbers I can find.  The ones I listed were just the most obvious ones.

DebbieDoo

I am a total newbie at this so I don't know all the parts yet.  This is what I have found so far.  Inside the receiver mouth piece is a 12/46.  I also found a few other number inside such as S-IV-45, B2A, IND-101-B.  That is all I can see.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: DebbieDoo on April 04, 2014, 03:34:07 AM

I am a total newbie at this so I don't know all the parts yet.  This is what I have found so far.  Inside the receiver mouth piece is a 12/46.  I also found a few other number inside such as S-IV-45, B2A, IND-101-B.  That is all I can see.

Numbers like "10/46" and "12/46" mean that the parts were manufactured in Oct 1945 or Dec 1946.  The roman numerals refers to quarters of the year, so "IV-45" would mean that the part was made in the fourth quarter of 1945.  "B2A" is the part number of the ringer, and "IND-101-B" is the part number of the induction coil.

Larry

DebbieDoo

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 04, 2014, 06:41:41 AM
Quote from: DebbieDoo on April 04, 2014, 03:34:07 AM

Numbers like "10/46" and "12/46" mean that the parts were manufactured in Oct 1945 or Dec 1946.  The roman numerals refers to quarters of the year, so "IV-45" would mean that the part was made in the fourth quarter of 1945.  "B2A" is the part number of the ringer, and "IND-101-B" is the part number of the induction coil.

Larry

Thank you Larry!!  I am very new to this so all these numbers don't mean much and I don't know what the parts are.  It would be so helpful for someone to do a basic diagram of what the parts are called and what the numbers mean that are stamped on the parts.  I have searched all over and have found a lot of numbers but I don't know the lingo so getting confused and frustrated is an understatement. 

Thanks again for your help!!! :D

TelePlay

There should also be numbers on the back of the dial itself. You may have to loosen or remove the 3 screws (from the inside) holding the dial in place to see them.

You can see a 5H in vermillion in the lower right corner of this photo, next to it under the case is the date the dial was made. You may have a 6H dial, both numbers would add to this discussion. Your dial may look different than this picture but the numbers will still be there.

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice find indeed, I especially like the base date! Is there a date on the housing (it would be on the front inside lip to the right)? If it dates '45 or '46, it could be an Indigo 302 like mine.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10925.msg116750#msg116750
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DNO

As a newby myself, Debbiedoo, I know how confusing the terminology can be.  Here's a quickie guide to the inside of the base of the 302.  I'll try to do a better one later.

David

HarrySmith

I did one also, posted it on the technical section.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

An important code to look for is the mounting code, which is usually stamped on the housing near the rear cord hole.  It provides a clue to what components were in the phone when it was manufactured.

For a description and list of variations in the 300-series, look here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Markings
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line