News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Picking up Tomorrow!

Started by DavePEI, May 14, 2014, 10:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

My family is from Pictou, someday I am going to visit. 

Is that 202 a Northern or a Western?

I think I have a faceplate for one of those 47Bs
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Hi Greg:

Well, these were actually from Cape Breton, but met me at the ferry. It was definatley the strangest pickup I have made.

It was strange - we were in NS for less than 5 minutes - we got back in the ferry line and in seconds were loading again!

The plate for these is actually the plate shown in the photo. It is designed for both the connection block and for the jack shown as verified by the NE docs...

Busy cleaning up the phones now....

Two nice complete subsets (both complete, but one of the ringers has been taken out of the box - gotta reinstall it. Not sure about the 202s yet - I haven't really had a chnce to look at them, as I have been cleaning up the others...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 15, 2014, 07:51:25 PM
Is that 202 a Northern or a Western?
One of the two is Northern judging by the handset - not sure about the other. Will give a more definite answer when I gat down to them in the clean-up!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Been wrestling with the various 500 sets in the lot, cleaning them and bringing them back to good shape. The best of the 500 c/ds was a 1988 non modular beige 500 - just about perfectly mint.

The worst was 72 500 which appeared to have some sort of thick shellac spilled on it. What a job to remove, but I persevered, and it looks, and works good now. I must say, though it took me several hours last night, and at least another hour today. I had another handset cover for it, so didn't even bother with the handset - I now have it soaking and will eventually clean it up.

Some time later today, I hope to get at the D1 202s. Both are in rough shape, and one is missing its handset.

I also have the two wooden subsets to work on - both are complete with their cranks, but one has had its ringer removed, but I have a couple of spares - the cases are both in good shape, and I will be using them for the two 202s.

Not bad for a freebie lot, but I must say, with the ferry trip to get them, the cost of shipping went up to $70 for everything.

I am most pleased with the NE41BN magneto/Ne 500 Q3A combination. Both are very hard to find. I currently have a NE41BN magneto/Ne 554 Q3A set on display - now will be able to display both the wall and desk versions. Alas, the magneto box is beige while the phone is black, but I guess that isn't too big a problem. Hooked up together, they work and ring well.

There are additional ringers in the boxes, which will allow me to complete a couple of other magneto boxes I have. Additionally, there is one 3" bell, which will allow me to finish another project.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on May 16, 2014, 05:41:18 AMAlas, the magneto box is beige while the phone is black, but I guess that isn't too big a problem.

As they say in parts of northern England, "Better than nowt"... :)

DavePEI

This may be a bit of help to someone hooking up a NE41BN magneto to s 500 Q3A or 554 Q3A should you be fortunate enough to find one, It is a very moth eaten scrap of paper lining the bottom of the box, the docs for the generator in the NE418N showing the hook up to a Q3A.

Sorry, it is only a scrap - I can't scan it better.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Here are some photos of other items received in the Pictou batch... I will be adding photos to this post this morning, beginning with the two operator's headsets.

Below the headsets: 2 Dial Contempras (QSK100AX) in colours Bright Red -23 and Turquoise -64.

500Q3A plus NE41BN magneto connected. The 500 Q3A needs no subset - it is arranged for local battery and the network and ringer is built in, but the magneto is located in the external NE41BN magneto for signalling.

I am not going to post photos of the 500s and the 554, or of the 202s or their NE515H subsets, as they are pretty common. The 500s and Contempras are all non-modular.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I had missed this post Dave though you had mentioned this lot that you were going for.

Is your existing 554Q3A black as well? What if you were to transplant a beige (or is it ivory?) shell,  handset, dial blank and cords onto the 500 to create a matched set to contrast the 554 magneto set up? Of course you could do that to the 554 instead if you had the parts and swap the magnetos around instead.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 17, 2014, 07:51:30 PM
I had missed this post Dave though you had mentioned this lot that you were going for.

Is your existing 554Q3A black as well? What if you were to transplant a beige (or is it ivory?) shell,  handset, dial blank and cords onto the 500 to create a matched set to contrast the 554 magneto set up? Of course you could do that to the 554 instead if you had the parts and swap the magnetos around instead.
Hi Terry:

My 554 Q3A is also black, but in that case, the magneto is also black so they match.

If I do anything, I may paint this magneto to match the phone, as it is unlikely I will find beige matching date plastics to change the phone.  Then again, I may just display the black phone with the beige magneto since both have nearly perfect plastics...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I was just thinking older beige 500 plastics without worrying about matching dates. Then you would have a beige example and a black example for the museum, one desk and one wall. You could keep the matching date plastics stored away.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 17, 2014, 09:25:25 PM
I was just thinking older beige 500 plastics without worrying about matching dates. Then you would have a beige example and a black example for the museum, one desk and one wall. You could keep the matching date plastics stored away.

Terry
I imagine I would have a heck of a time finding a beige dial blank.... Maybe some day. I certainly have beige plastics other than the blank....

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

If it were an AE I could help you out. Blanks aren't that uncommon from the common battery CO days though most common battery COs had converted to dial by the mid to late 50s (when these phones were introduced) there were still quite a few CB CO's left. I have quite a few blanks from my PBX days. Hotel house phones primarily.

My mom "complained" that they had a nice modern new phone installed in their new house in 1958. A common battery AE 80. Then they came and changed it to this old thing! A dial AE 40. I still have the full chrome 40 in my livingroom!

Terry

poplar1

It looks more like ivory than beige in the photos. Do you think that perhaps it was used with a black phone even if they didn't match? In any case, if the black GEN is hard to find, the color one even more so.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on May 18, 2014, 11:57:14 AM
It looks more like ivory than beige in the photos. Do you think that perhaps it was used with a black phone even if they didn't match? In any case, if the black GEN is hard to find, the color one even more so.
I can pretty well say that it was used with this 500 Q3A - The D1s or 202s in this batch came along with their subsets, as did this phone. I doubt very much someone took the generator out from the box that was originally used with it and replaced it with this one.

So really it doesn't matter so much to me that the colours don't match between the phone and magneto, since they no doubt were originally used with each other.

Yes, I agree with you that they are hard to find in black, and no doubt would be a heck of a lot harder to find in ivory.

Either way, I am pleased, as I now have a 500 Q3A AND a 554 Q3A, a black generator for the 554 and a beige one for the 500. I will mount the generator for this one below the generator for the 554 Q3A, and then place the 500 Q3A below that on display.

There was some nice stuff in this find, but these were my favorite, followed perhaps by the two different colour Contempras; in particular the red one, as we don't see them in red much here.

With parts from this batch, I have been able to repair both of the wooden magneto boxes which came with it, and also a couple of others I already had.

The only phones I haven't done much with are the two D1s or 202s. Both need a lot of work. I only have the base cover for one of them. Both need stripping and re-painting, one has a e handset and needs a cord; the other has no handset. In my museum parts supply, I have another 202 with a good base, but very little else, so it will become a parts source for the two f these.

So that will wait some day I have time on my hands!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I have lots of those "one day when I have more time on my hands" projects too. They used to be my "when I retire" projects but now that I am retired I have had to rename some of them! In two weeks I will have been retired for a year. WoW! I have spent 73 days of that time on cruise ships though. No wonder I get nothing done.

Terry