News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mahogany Brown Multi Line Western Electric Set

Started by Doug Rose, May 30, 2014, 10:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I got this Sunday, set was in pieces. Handset is red, but painted black,,,with a huge dent. Base is painted black but sure looks brown to me. Dated 4/24/57. Whadayathink??....Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

That's awesome, I'd love to see that completely restored.

Is there a rest of the phone?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Looks like a really nice find, Doug! If you decide to remove the paint, soak the housing in LA's Totally Awesome soap for a day or so. The least it will do is soften the paint enough to sand it easier.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

the headest was a painted red, but it had a huge dent in it, the caps are dated 1/57. There is a base. The mahogany shell is the prize. If anyone want to make an offer, PM me...or its off to eBay...Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Hopefully, it is not Polane and some sanding will get rid of that paint.
Jorge

Doug Rose

Jorge...I'll try some oven cleaner tomorrow and see where I am at...Doug
Kidphone

Dave F

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on May 30, 2014, 01:08:00 PM
That's awesome, I'd love to see that completely restored.

Is there a rest of the phone?

Ben

Wonderful find, Doug!

Ben, here's what they look like when complete:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3261.msg43316#msg43316

DF

WesternElectricBen

Thanks, Dave, I remember that thread, although I'd really like to see this one brought back to life.

Ben

Dave F

A mahogany dial face and handset could be salvaged from a junk mahogany 500 (if there is such a thing as a "junk mahogany 500").  The real problem would be locating a mahogany keyset line cord.  That task would certainly keep any potential restorer busy for a very long time.

DF

unbeldi

Quote from: Dave F on May 30, 2014, 10:35:14 PM
A mahogany dial face and handset could be salvaged from a junk mahogany 500 (if there is such a thing as a "junk mahogany 500").  The real problem would be locating a mahogany keyset line cord.  That task would certainly keep any potential restorer busy for a very long time.

DF

I think you are right about the cord problem.  The suggestion I have heard is to look for an ITT cord instead, but even those seem to be rare as unobtainium.
cf. http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10224.msg108581#msg108581

Doug Rose

I will send this to eBay tomorrow. This is too good for me to try. I'll let one of the great refurbers on the Forum give it a try. ...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Dave F on May 30, 2014, 10:35:14 PM

DF

Finding a Western Electric made dial face in that Mahogany color is very difficult.  I picked up a Mahogany 500 once that had had the dial replaced with a black bezel and later dial.  I searched for an original replacement.  There are Brown  Stromberg Carlson dial bezels out there that will work but I wanted an early Western Electric to match the phone.  Low and behold one day someone listed one on eBay...it even had the appropriately labeled (-54) #7 dial.  It took $100 when the auction was completed for me to own it.  My point is, as Dave suggested, they are few and far between.

~Dennis