News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

where can I get a "real" rotary candlestick phone & box?

Started by Cindy67, January 20, 2013, 08:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

What is your price range?  This is the auction that I said you should bid $250 on if you want a nice antique phone that has not been tampered with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261160332026

This is the auction you should bid on if you want a fully restiored all-original Western Electric 51-AL candlestick with the appropriate ringer box that will actually work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321061724544
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Cindy67

I was getting confused.  Thank you both!

Cindy67

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 27, 2013, 06:01:54 PM
Nice one!  I think your learning curve is pretty steep!  This looks all correct and intact and has a nice original dial card.  I would estimate this one at around $200-25.  I would bid $250, and I would not bid until the final seconds, this one has a lot of action on it.

If I won, what would it cost to update and once updated do I still need a ringer box?
Thank you..sorry for being a pain.  But I don't want to spend $200 if its gonna be almst that to restore and if it needs a box.   I put a bid on it on bidding schedular.

As far as the first phone I posted, it does say 51AL on the perch.  Its fine if box is repro, just concerned bout phone. 

Greg G.

Quote from: Cindy67 on January 28, 2013, 09:47:43 PM

If I won, what would it cost to update and once updated do I still need a ringer box?
Thank you..sorry for being a pain.  But I don't want to spend $200 if its gonna be almst that to restore and if it needs a box.   I put a bid on it on bidding schedular.

As far as the first phone I posted, it does say 51AL on the perch.  Its fine if box is repro, just concerned bout phone.  

Yes, you still need the subset (ringer box).  At the very least, the dial needs attention and the rest needs at least a good cleaning.  There's a guy in Arizona (Steve Hilsz) that will clean, lube, and calibrate the dial so that it functions for a reasonable price, but you still need a faceplate for it.  I don't know how easy they are to find.  You should ask the seller if the dial sticks.  But don't fret too much if it does, most of the time they just have decades of crud and just need to be cleaned and lubed.  I would be surprised if it doesn't, but even then, I still send mine off to Steve to be professionally cleaned and lubed.  

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 28, 2013, 09:08:03 PM
This is the auction you should bid on if you want a fully restiored all-original Western Electric 51-AL candlestick with the appropriate ringer box that will actually work:

I'll back up Sargeguy on this one.  If you have the money and want a no-hassle, fully functioning, genuine, honest-to-goodness antique candlestick complete with subset, this would be the one.  Even if you don't win it, if you can spend that amount, there are others like it.  Finding fully restored phones like this one isn't hard.  The hard part is finding affordable antique phones that will have a minimal amount of restoration, or, restoration that is within your skill range.    

I looked back on your posts and I don't see what you can or are willing to spend, and what you want to do with it, i.e. is it just going to be a decor piece, or something that's going to be actually used?  That would help a great deal in helping you find a phone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Cindy67

???

I have seen so many times sellers have no time to fix etc. I am still learning on how to spot a fake, if updated if it still needs ringer box, here's 2 good examples of ebay candlestick phone I just am not sure. Poplar and sageguy helped in another thread but if I ask no questions I won't learn... # 170980494751 the guys input was there were a few red flags...another they said it was geat, but this one idk item# 310579420920 & item # 130841912748...

Thank you
Cindy
(I hope I am in the right thread!)  LOL

Sargeguy

310579420920-You don't want this one, it is missing parts and will be expensive

130841912748-Another nice one looks intact, but will be expensive because of the Mercedes dial.

I think it would be easier for us to help you if you told us what the purpose of your purchase will be.
-Are you looking for a working phone with correct ringer box?
-Are you looking for something to restore?
-Do you want it to look nice, or "shabby chic"?
-Are you looking for a basic phone, or a collector's item that will cost a lot of $$$

Most importantly, we need to know your budget.  How much do you plan to spend?

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I have merged all of these threads into one because they basically ask the same question and the people who are best able to answer it are in the Candlestick Phone section.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

Quote from: Cindy67 on January 28, 2013, 10:33:13 PM
(I hope I am in the right thread!)  LOL

Best to keep to one thread where everyone can keep up with you! :)

Terry

Cindy67

I am most defitnely looking for a real 'antique' candlestick phone that works.  Ido want a dial, so I can use it!! I may not talk on it like the cell but I will talk on it.   I can spend $250 for a candlestick phone working but no repros.  I think the one I won is.  I wouldn't even mind if the box was a repro, I am more interested in the phone being antique.   I am trying to learn on how to spot a fake, but as a nivice, it is difficult, like learn.ing to drive.

I apologize for so many questions and some may be confusing, but I am trying to learn!  I don't know how to restore, it seems simple enough but idk!  Getting one with or wothout box not restored may cost too much and wold rather have someone else do it!

Sargeguy I hope I answered your questions!  I would love, bt can't afford a collectors item.  But..want an old one even mid 20's. As far as the box idc if its repro.  

Thank you all so much...I know fixing phones and cars is n.ot a womans job!!  LOL

Cindy67

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 29, 2013, 01:02:55 AM
I have merged all of these threads into one because they basically ask the same question and the people who are best able to answer it are in the Candlestick Phone section.

Thank you...I was getting confused, I am sure you all were too.

DavePEI

Quote from: Cindy67 on January 29, 2013, 12:55:25 PM
Thank you all so much...I know fixing phones and cars is n.ot a womans job!!  LOL
Never say that, Cindy! A woman can do anything a man can do - all she has to do is learn. We have several very talented ladies who are members of the CRPF! Some of them could well teach the men lots about phones we don't know :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Cindy67

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 29, 2013, 12:52:47 AM
310579420920-You don't want this one, it is missing parts and will be expensive

130841912748-Another nice one looks intact, but will be expensive because of the Mercedes dial.

I think it would be easier for us to help you if you told us what the purpose of your purchase will be.
-Are you looking for a working phone with correct ringer box?
-Are you looking for something to restore?
-Do you want it to look nice, or "shabby chic"?
-Are you looking for a basic phone, or a collector's item that will cost a lot of $

Ok why would item 130841912748- be exp. To fix b/c of mercedes dial?  If it dosent stick can't the one on phone be used?

Most importantly, we need to know your budget.  How much do you plan to spend?

Cindy67

Quote from: DavePEI on January 29, 2013, 01:11:02 PM
Quote from: Cindy67 on January 29, 2013, 12:55:25 PM
Never say that, Cindy! A woman can do anything a man can do - all she has to do is learn. We have several very talented ladies who are members of the CRPF! Some of them could well teach the men lots about phones we don't know :)

Dave

Thank you Dave! And I do love learning!!   ;)

Cindy67

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 28, 2013, 09:08:03 PM
What is your price range?  This is the auction that I said you should bid $250 on if you want a nice antique phone that has not been tampered with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261160332026

261160332026 and gt a ringer to work with it?  I don't care if box isn't antique!  I would like to bid on. The phone..1 day left I think.  And I would like the lhone still aol loooking just work!  I knw I am weird!

What would it cost to update item

Cindy67

I recently had this posted in another thread.  I want to bid, what would the cost be to update but...keep it old lookin as is?  And get a subset box too, that can be repro idc as lon.g as its the right one for phone!

Thank you. There is 1 day and 23 hs left.