News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Post your favorite number cards

Started by jsowers, July 28, 2009, 01:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brshaffer

Waking up a old thread to prevent duplicate topics...

These are my top three.  The first is an acquisition from this weekend (and what gave me the idea for this post).  An original acetate that was on filthy 202 with a 634BA subset that I got for $40 (it has plenty of potential for clean up).  It's special to me because it came from an actual estate in New Hope, PA my favorite place in Bucks County.

The second I like because of the round number and the ringing cadence instructions (which I assume is for a party line?).

And the pièce de résistance, the crown jewel, is my original Bell System logo card.  You often see these reproduced in restored phones, but I have yet to see another original on ebay.  This was hidden behind the first 302 I purchased (and only my second phone).  Beginner's luck!

What are some of your favorites?

Dan/Panther

I've always wondered who may have owned this phone. It's a 5302. What's weird is the last 4 digits are the same as our home phone when I was growing up. 2527.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

These are the most interesting I have in my collection now:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Here is one I made that I was actually able to use my last name and phone number.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

persido

My 3 favorites are......

Scot

Whitcrane76

This is definitely the best one I have, and it might be pretty rare because it's the only one I've ever seen.

Telephones_etc

"The day will come when the man at the telephone will be able to see the distant person to whom he is speaking."

-Alexander Graham Bell

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on April 20, 2019, 09:25:51 PM
This is definitely the best one I have, and it might be pretty rare because it's the only one I've ever seen.
My guess is it is for the boards for operator trainees.
Just a guees.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HowardPgh

These are some of my loose number cards.
Also a picture of some Western Electric retaining rings.
Which Mt. Airy? The one near Philadelphia PA, or the one in North Carolina (Andy Griffith's hometown)?
Howard

Texas1880

Quote from: HowardPgh on April 27, 2019, 10:33:50 PM
These are some of my loose number cards.
Also a picture of some Western Electric retaining rings.
Which Mt. Airy? The one near Philadelphia PA, or the one in North Carolina (Andy Griffith's hometown)?

Most likely mt airy North Carolina. Mt airy is a neighborhood in Philadelphia proper, and Philadelphia exchanges weren't neighborhood titled, except for CHestnut hill. Mt airy was definitely not a Philadelphia exchange name.  The act of consolidation was 1854 that unified  the city and county of Philadelphia, so mt airy has been in the city since before telephones.

PEnnypacker is a creek in Philadelphia, and MUnincipal is still the exchange for all Philadelphia city lines, though, to this day 215-68(x)-xxxx is always the city calling.  Some street names are exchanges, like WAlnut, POplar, etc.

jsowers

I agree with Texas1880. I live about 58 miles south of Mt. Airy and that number card would be for a party line phone in a small town. You could come to Mayberry Days sometime and bring your card and ask some of the old timers if they remember them.

During the era when this card was used, maybe before WWII, Philadelphia had 3L4N numbers. Like RITtenhouse, my personal favorite. Below is a nice list from 1935 I found in an auction listing. I know a lady who was a Pennypacker before she was married. Very unusual name.
Jonathan

andre_janew

I have a couple I would like to share:

shadow67

Here's my favorite

Russ Kirk

On one of my payphones
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

dsk

Are this link of interest?
I was just told about it, a dial card maker page: https://bre.is/s0ctxJalZ