News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E. Style of Dial Number Card

Started by Ktownphoneco, February 15, 2016, 03:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktownphoneco

Here is a different looking telephone dial number card which I just scanned.      It's designed to fit an A.E. style of number card holder.      Scanned at high resolution in TIFF format and converted to "jpeg".

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Jeff Lamb

unbeldi

Was this found on a Canadian phone from an independent company?

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on February 15, 2016, 05:05:52 PM
Was this found on a Canadian phone from an independent company?

If it is from Canada, they misspelled neighbouring.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

It's kind of "odd" I guess, but living along the U.S. / Canada border, I flip back and forth between U.S. and Canadian spellings for words we share in our language, but spell differently.      I now do it automatically as soon as I see who I'm conversing with.     It's weird actually.

Ok, dial cards.      I bought a dial card collectors collection.     (That doesn't sound right ).     The gentleman is in England, but the entire collection, which consists of maybe 250 to 300 dial cards is from North America, primarily the U.S.A., and the remainder from Canadian telco's.       
That card your referring to came from "who knows where", other than as "Poplar1" has pointed out, it's using the U.S. spelling of "neighboring", which means it came out of the U.S.A. somewhere.

Jeff

andre_janew

Do you have any like this one?

Ktownphoneco

Yes I do.      Here is a photo of the 2 cards that I have.     If you'd like a copy, let me know and I'll scan either one, or both, at 600 dpi, and email them to you.

Jeff

GTE Rick

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on June 19, 2016, 08:56:58 PM
Do you have any like this one?

@Andre:
I believe, your card 805 WHitehall 6-1223 came from Lancaster, CA and was issued sometime between 1957 and 1962 or 3.

The town is served today by Frontier Communications, but in NPA 661. 661 was split from area code 805 in 1999.

Area code 805 was split from 213 in 1957 in the great contraction of area code 213 to just Los Angeles Country.  As it still has its central office name,  it was issued probably no later than ca. 1962 or 3.   In summer of 1962 the California State PUC announced preparations for All-Number-Calling, but at the end of the year it was still not active [NYT 1962-12-31].  Less than a year later, by September 1963, the Pacific T&T Co. had reportedly dropped letter prefixes from 71% of its telephones already.

Van Nuys, CA is a suburb of L.A., just adjacent to the southern part of NPA 805, but remained in area code 213 until 1984.

Jeff's card 805-966-4351, was issued after that period. It is from St. Barbara, which still today has an Automatic Electric GTD-5 EAX switch and is still in NPA 805, also under management of Frontier.

Jeff's second card 213-430-0027 is from the city of L.A. itself, today Pacific Bell at 434 S Grand Ave.

andre_janew

My card came from a Leich telephone made in 1957.  At that time, Leich was owned by GTE, the parent company of Automatic Electric.  It may very well be the first

dial card of this phone and one of the first from the 805 area code.

My grandmother was concerned about her number changing from VI3-3614 to 843-3614 until Dad and I pointed out they were the same number.  Her number hadn't really changed.  It was just expressed a little differently.  We even had her look at the dial to prove our point!!

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on June 22, 2016, 01:02:35 PM
My card came from a Leich telephone made in 1957.  At that time, Leich was owned by GTE, the parent company of Automatic Electric.  It may very well be the first

dial card of this phone and one of the first from the 805 area code.
I am sure it was!  Nice find.

My grandmother was concerned about her number changing from VI3-3614 to 843-3614 until Dad and I pointed out they were the same number.  Her number hadn't really changed.  It was just expressed a little differently.  We even had her look at the dial to prove our point!!

Very typical scenario.  The Anti-ANC Dialing League pushed the fear button masterly, despite showing almost no real knowledge of the telephone network and business, proposing a bunch of alternate solutions that made no sense.

Ktownphoneco

RickGTE   ...   Here are the number card scans.    I'm posting them "one" at a time in case the server doesn't like the total size.       I scanned the pair as is, with the original telephone numbers in place, then cloned out the numbers to produce the blank cards.   If for some reason these cards don't download correctly, let me know and I can email them directly to you.   It looks huge due to the image size ( 600 dpi ), but if it's saved to a folder on your computer and printed, it'll reproduce at the correct size.

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

Here's the GTE card without the telephone number.

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

Here's the GTE card for AC 805, and with the original telephone number.    The server didn't like this card in "tiff", so I've changed it to "jpeg".

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

Here's the GTE Card for area code 805, but with the telephone number area left blank.     For whatever idiotic reason, the server accepted this card in "tiff", which is exactly the same as the card with the original telephone number in place.    Weird.

Jeff