News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial card(?) still in package; what do I do?

Started by javamama, April 30, 2010, 07:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javamama

Hello, all.  I'm new and have been lurking here for a little while.  Please forgive my ignorance!

I recently got myself a red 554 for my kitchen.  It's largely a '58, but also largely a mish-mash; possibly (probably?) refurbished in the 60s.  It came with its box, along with what I assume is most of what came in the box with the phone.

The open finger wheel is empty, which is to say that it's lacking the clear disc, dial card, and backing clip.  In the box, however, is a sealed brown paper packet with the backing clip inside, if not also the clear disc.  I'm at a loss as to what to do.  I'd like to have a dial card in there, but I'm hesitant (to say the least) to open up something that's managed to stay sealed for so long.  Should I leave my little brown packet alone and try to find the parts elsewhere, or open it up and use the contents?  Let me know if it would help to post pictures.

Thank you!

LarryInMichigan

Welcome java,

I personally wouldn't be able to open a packet which has been sealed for 52 years.  You can certainly get good dial cards, original or reproductions, easily elsewhere.  I am sure that most of us here would love to see pictures of the phone and the dial card packet.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Yes, it sounds like the dial has a soft center.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

welcome, java...

i say it is personal preference on whether you open the packet or not. i think i would, just to be able to say the parts are NOS. what good are they in the packet anyway. ???

we love pictures. :)
donna

Russ Kirk

Hi,

I have the same situation with a NOS WE 322 elevator phone. 

My suggestion is to get a reasonable replacement off of ebay or another collector and keep the package intact. 

Once you open it,  there is no going back,  and you never un-do the open packet. 

I agree with LarryInMichigan,  I could not open it and ever justify it.       

Take care,  we are the stewards of these collectables for the the future.....

Russ......

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

I collect model trains accessories, and will display the toy, and preserve the box it came in. This is a tough call, I might be tempted to open the package, install the parts on the Phone IF the phone deserves them, meaning it's in great shape or you restore it. Then I might find exact equivalent parts to put in the package for display. Add a note in the package that the parts in the package are not the original new parts. Then seal up the package. OR not.
Welcome to our forum.

Putting this into, perspective, If you found a N.O.S. Handset in a box, that you had a phone it went onto, the phone was restored, but had an average handset, would you use it on the phone, I would.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Welcome to the group! 

Personally, if I were going to keep the phone, I would go ahead and use them, that's what they're for.  If I was just going to sell the phone, then I would leave them in the package for the next owner to decide.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rp2813

I agree with D/P's handset analogy.  If you have a phone that deserves it, use it, and if not, then maybe wait until such a phone comes along, or until someone here has a phone that is deserving and maybe work out a trade.

I received an in-the-package, never opened NOS WECo handset cord from the mid-60's and didn't hesitate to put it into use on a worthy phone.  It wasn't doing any good for anyone just sitting in the package, and to what end would allowing it to remain unused in the package lead?
Ralph

savageje

Personally, I would use them on the phone.  I'm not sure how much value they add to the phone sealed in the package.  It is up to the preference of individual collectors, but I prefer to have a nicely yellowed used dial card with original printing over a new blank dial card.  Still, if you decide not to open the package, you should be able to get a replacement part very inexpensively.

bingster

It's all personal, but I'm in the "use it" camp, too.  Those parts were meant to be on that phone, and that's where I believe they should be.  There's valid reason to keep the package sealed, though, so it can be a tough decision.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I share Bingster's opinion on this issue.  Especially since we're talking about a dial card retainer and celluloid.

I have opened many replacement cords to use that were sealed in the 60's.  

If your part enhances the phone by having it displayed on the phone---go for it!

javamama

Thank you all for the welcome and the replies!  I'll share some pictures once I get them off of my camera, probably this weekend.

For now, I think I might postpone a decision and leave the clip (and clear disc?) unopened, which leads to my next question: can anyone recommend a source for dial cards, clear discs, and backing clips?  I'm also in the market for a handset cord, as the cord on the phone is much too short to be practical in a kitchen...