News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Canadian Dial Cards

Started by Tribune, August 27, 2010, 09:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribune

Searched through this forum on the subject, and hunted through www.telephonearchive.com too but with little joy.   :-\

I'm really looking for some images of Canadian dial cards, ideally from Alberta (AGT) or even more close to home - Edmonton (EdTel), but anything Canadian would be good. Want something that will look authentic in my Northern Electric No.2, 302s and 500s. So from the 1930s through to the '70s.
Any suggestions?

Thanks folks - and by the way, this forum is excellent!
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

bingster

I think the only Canada-specific cards you'll find are from Canadian independent telephone companies. The problem is that most of the cards on Canadian phones are identical to the cards on American phones, that is, they were all Bell System standard, regardless of which Bell they were from.
= DARRIN =

Tribune

Guess I'm looking for specifically Alberta Government Telephones (AGT) or Edmonton Telephones (EdTel) phone co. dial card, if they ever existed. Or Northern Electric (later Northern Telecom) manufacturer's dil cards.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

bingster

Northern Electric will be the easy one. Check the Western Electric cards at Telephone Archives--they're the same.

You might try e-mailing oldphoneworks in Ontario to see if they've come across any of the special ones, and see if they'll sell them. 
= DARRIN =

Tribune

Thanks Bingster, I'll give OFW a try  :)
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

Tribune

Well, after trawling through the web a bit more I found some dial card images, and a few hours spent on Corel Draw resulted in some pretty good facsimiles to print out and use. Of course, in terms of copyright, these are just for illustrative purposes only. What ever you do with these if you download them is your own business  ;). I've attached a high res jpeg file with these for anyone who's interested. Note that the first two rows are copies of genuine dial cards, the AGT and EdTel ones are my own imaginative creations, but I hope that they look kind of authentic.

Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA