"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Circle Punch for Number Cards

Started by cihensley@aol.com, May 22, 2011, 01:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Quote from: pieboy977 on January 16, 2016, 11:51:16 AM
What did the Phone Company use back in the day to puch out perfect Western Electric Number cards?

They were pre-scored for the inserts. I'm sure they were done in significant bulk, and somewhere out there, there is (or was) the device which did that.

Then there was the GTE way: stickers you plastered on the dial or the number cover...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

nice accessory, but I'll stay with OPW. its just easier.
John

Mr. Bones

Quote from: compubit on January 16, 2016, 06:44:47 PM
Quote from: pieboy977 on January 16, 2016, 11:51:16 AM
What did the Phone Company use back in the day to puch out perfect Western Electric Number cards?

They were pre-scored for the inserts. I'm sure they were done in significant bulk, and somewhere out there, there is (or was) the device which did that.

Then there was the GTE way: stickers you plastered on the dial or the number cover...

Jim

I'd have to imagine that these were done on a die cutter, I'm equally certain that if I'm wrong, somebody will chime in, and let me know. ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Babybearjs

this raises a good question.... prior to computerization.... what did the Bell System use to print these cards out other then a regular hand stamper. Did they have a machine that could stamp out multiple cards at once? the practices don't really explain this....
John

Phonesrfun

As I remember as a kid who used to shadow the phone guys, they had preprinted cards for the prefix, later with area code and prefix, so all the installer had to do was stamp the last 4 digits.  I believe they were on perforated or scored strips.  Western Electric and Automatic Electric undoubtedly had a massive printing shop that made them up for all the areas they served.
-Bill G