News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2012C Transformer Questions for 702B Princess Phone

Started by GLadstone, September 25, 2014, 06:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

Have you ever taken the bell off?  It could be full of crud and not resonating properly.  Yes, it could be as simple as that!

GLadstone

Quote from: jsowers on March 11, 2015, 04:12:44 PM
Sorry, I wasn't more specific about the videos. Lack of bandwidth is my problem--nothing to do with Google. Photobucket might be worth investigating. It offers 2GB free storage for videos. Here's a whole list of sites...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_hosting_services

Hi jsowers,

Thanks for the update about the videos-- I didn't know Google Drive had bandwidth issues.

I do know that Photobucket can have bandwidth issues and is often blocked from workplaces, so I'll look into YouTube/G+.
It may be better for the longevity of the videos for the forum...

---

Anyone have any issues viewing YouTube (before I spend the time to migrate the videos)?

---

Quote from: jsowers on March 11, 2015, 04:12:44 PM
I hope you get the ringer fixed.

Thanks!

I hope so too!

---

Quote from: andre_janew on March 11, 2015, 05:58:37 PM
Have you ever taken the bell off?  It could be full of crud and not resonating properly.  Yes, it could be as simple as that!

Hi andre_janew,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have indeed removed the bell and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty clean under there:

---

I know you guys can't see the videos right now, so I'll try to describe the current behavior of the ringer:

Loud Setting:
Clapper reaches the bell / gong.
May sound "normal."

Soft Setting:
Clapper vibrates, but does not reach the bell / gong.
Does not sound "normal."

When changing the position of the bias spring (from the default high tension position to the low tension position), it adds more "looseness" / vibration to the sound.
Does not sound normal / pleasant.

So, I don't know if the current issue is that the clapper is still too far from the bell / gong (as it is outside of the BSP recommended 0.020 inch margin), or if there is something else going on...

After adjustments / current position. 0.020 inch feeler gauge.

Clapper to bell / gong distance BEFORE adjustments

Clapper to bell / gong distance AFTER adjustments (current setting)

If interested, a few more photos/descriptions posted here:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/702b/m1a
(Please let me know if you are having issues viewing the website.)

Hope that helps you better visualize things while the video issues are being sorted out.

In the meantime, comments, suggestions, tips, and feedback are always welcome.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Take care,
GLadstone

12-22-2016 Edit:
Removed Picasa Web Album Text Links

12-27-2016 Edit:
Insert image links updated from Picasa Web Albums to GLadstone's CRPF member photo collection.

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

Well, I finally joined YouTube (and, sigh, Google+).
To eliminate as many viewing issues as possible, the videos have all been uploaded to YouTube and have been made public (as have the playlists).

My notes / supplement website has also been updated to make viewing the videos easier as this forum does not allow embedding videos.

I've also gone back through this topic and edited the posts that reference the videos on Google Drive (as they have been moved to YouTube).
Any updates will have a [April 2015 Edit] note.

Quick Links:

Website M1A Ringer Repair Video Landing Page:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/702b/m1a/vid

For a quick comparison of Before and Now:

Before:
Before First Adjustment Videos:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/702b/m1a/vid/before

Now:
After Third Adjustment Videos:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/702b/m1a/vid/after3

GLadstone's YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn90wwjV3rtzC1DEEBsJ-RA
(Note: The thumbnails are not showing up for me, but the videos are all working.)

Now that the videos are finally sorted out, I look forward to hearing your thoughts, suggestions, and tips about how to best fix / repair the ringer so that it sounds "normal" again.

Take care,
GLadstone

TelePlay

Quote from: GLadstone on March 12, 2015, 12:26:44 AM
I know you guys can't see the videos right now, so I'll try to describe the current behavior of the ringer:

Loud Setting:
May sound "normal."

Soft Setting:
Does not sound "normal."

After watching the videos, I have a question.

I know little about Princess phones other than having a very nice yellow 702 on my night stand next to my pillow but I thought the soft setting was not to hit the gong, to just vibrate and that sound alone would indicate a call coming in. It would be loud enought for me to hear if if awake but not if I were sleeping, a good thing for me, or my use of the 702.

And loud would be striking the gong so it could be heard from some distance away or to wake up a sleeping person. With the lighted dial, isn't the Princess intended for night stand use? If so, those ringing setting seem right, or not?

Am I wrong in my thinking?

GLadstone

Quote from: TelePlay on April 29, 2015, 08:45:57 AM

Loud Setting:
May sound "normal."

Soft Setting:
Does not sound "normal."

I know little about Princess phones other than having a very nice yellow 702 on my night stand next to my pillow but I thought the soft setting was not to hit the gong, to just vibrate and that sound alone would indicate a call coming in. It would be loud enought for me to hear if if awake but not if I were sleeping, a good thing for me, or my use of the 702.

And loud would be striking the gong so it could be heard from some distance away or to wake up a sleeping person. With the lighted dial, isn't the Princess intended for night stand use? If so, those ringing setting seem right, or not?

Hi TelePlay,

Thank you for taking the time to watch the videos as well as describe the behavior of your 702!

As you can tell, this is my first Princess Phone so I don't have anything to compare it to.
All of my searches online/YouTube for Princess Phones sounds / ringing usually show the loud setting.

I have found one video on YouTube of a Princess Phone that shows both the soft and loud setting, but I wasn't sure if that one was "normal" either as the soft setting sounded almost as "loud" as the loud setting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahpNq18evjY
Jump ahead to about the 5:55 minute mark for the ringing demonstration.

Hope that helps further the discussion.

Take care,
GLadstone

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

I received a PM asking how I embedded the YouTube video in the forum.

Quick answer:
It is not really embedded.

Longer answer:
It is an image link that re-directs to a YouTube video (instead of to the image).
In this case the image is a .GIF

I'm not sure if this will save correctly, but here is the code:
[u rl=http://insert youtube link here without spaces][i mg]h ttp://insert image link here with out spaces[/i mg][/u rl]
If that doesn't appear, a text version:
[open url=youtube link][open img]image link[close img][close url]

So, the next question, naturally, is how I got the .GIF?
It was an artifact of uploading the first videos to Picasa Web Albums.
It created two links: An image link (.GIF) and a video link.
A search of Google will show other ways to make .GIFs...

So, just a quick YouTube test:
(I only have two .GIFs, so the images will be the same.)

Before
Part of Repair Process: Before Adjustments
Ringer Setting: Soft

Before
Ringer Setting: Loud

Now
Part of Repair Process: After Third Adjustments

Now
Ringer Setting: Loud

---

Okay, but what if you don't have a .GIF?
Test with .JPG:
You may need to make it more obvious that it is a video link by editing the photo with the word "YouTube," adding an arrow, etc. or just including the YouTube Link below.

Before

https://youtu.be/D8d16SYXFLw

Now

https://youtu.be/T_qbxbbTeIQ

Hope that helps.

Take care,
GLadstone

12-27-2016 Edit:
Insert image links updated from Picasa Web Albums to GLadstone's CRPF member photo collection.

TelePlay

The wave form (first image below) for the Pink Princess in this YouTube video [ https://youtu.be/ahpNq18evjY ] shows two distinct sound effects for each setting.

1)  On the loud setting (the left two ring waves), the amplitude is less but the sustain, how long the bell resonates after the ringer stops working is longer.

2)  On the soft setting (the right two ring waves), the amplitude and density of the ring is larger but the sustain is near non-existent.

That would make the "loud" setting seem more crisp and clear and the "soft" setting seem a bit dull ending as soon as the ringer stops working.

The audio of the other Princess ringing files in this topic does not lend itself to this type of comparison for the difference between the soft and loud setting is distinct and dramatically different, as one would expect.

=============================

EDIT:  The following is the quote and text from the original reply which has now been fully restored. The original reply below contained more in depth information than recreated above. The original reply was corrupted and deleted. It has now been restored as seen below.

QuoteQuote from: GLadstone on April 29, 2015, 03:56:56 PM
I have found one video on YouTube of a Princess Phone that shows both the soft and loud
setting, but I wasn't sure if that one was "normal" either as the soft setting sounded almost
as "loud" as the loud setting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahpNq18evjY
Jump ahead to about the 5:55 minute mark for the ringing demonstration.

I captured that YouTube phone ringing in an audio file to view the wave form.

Interesting.

The first second image below is an amplitude comparison with the "loud" ring on the left and the "soft" ring on the right. He let the phone ring twice and both show a 2 4 second gap between the 2 second rings, which is correct.

To me, it looks (and sounds) life the soft is louder. So, I put my decibel meter in front of a speaker and found that the softer ring is about 1 dB louder than the louder ring. Go figure.

Now, the second third image below is a comparison of the 2 4 second gap with the "loud" on top and the "soft" on the bottom. Now there is a difference here. You can see the sustain wave form on the "loud" setting is there but the "soft" setting has no sustain, it just stops ringing when the clapper stops which to me indicates that when he moved the selector to "soft," something came into contact with the bell to prevent the sustain on the gong.

Why is the softer louder? I would think anything contacting the gong would not only kill the sustain but would also lower the volume. Maybe his ringer needs adjustment.

I know there are Princess collectors out there so does anyone want to analyze this and say what may be happening?

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on April 29, 2015, 08:45:57 AM

Loud Setting:
May sound "normal."

Soft Setting:
Does not sound "normal."

Gap between the clapper and the gong should be between .010 and .020 inch. This is accomplished by rotating the 61A gong, because the hole is off-center.
In addition to restricting the distance the clapper can move,  the ringer volume control also causes a metal piece to touch the gong, thus muffling it, in the LOW position.
It wouldn't be logical to muffle the gong if the clapper didn't strike it in both the LOUD and SOFT positions.

TCI Library has some info on the M1A ringer  in C18.048 Issue 1:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

GLadstone

Hi poplar1,

Quote from: poplar1 on April 30, 2015, 07:29:39 PM
Gap between the clapper and the gong should be between .010 and .020 inch. This is accomplished by rotating the 61A gong, because the hole is off-center.

And, what are the recommendations/procedures when rotating the gong is not enough to close the gap?
I have been unable to find any BSPs or recommended techniques for this...

Here is jsowers advice from earlier in this topic:
Quote from: jsowers on March 10, 2015, 07:18:49 PM
I can't view videos and don't own a cell phone, so pardon me if you've already tried this... but have you tried simply bending the clapper more toward the bell? It's fairly easy to bend. Then you can rotate and tighten the bell to get it so there's a small gap between clapper and bell. When you manually push the clapper away from the bell and release, it should spring back and ding.

If the above doesn't help, I'd try buying another Princess or two for parts. Sometimes you see just a chassis for sale or a phone with broken plastics. Those Princess ringers were not as robust as the C4A ringer on the 500 set, and they get a little finicky when they get old and well used.

I haven't yet tried any of jsowers advice as I don't really know what I'm working towards as far as final sound should be and I'm hesitant to do something that may not be reversible / change the fact that the phone is currently date matching.

Quote from: poplar1 on April 30, 2015, 07:29:39 PM
In addition to restricting the distance the clapper can move,  the ringer volume control also causes a metal piece to touch the gong, thus muffling it, in the LOW position.
It wouldn't be logical to muffle the gong if the clapper didn't strike it in both the LOUD and SOFT positions.

On my 1963 702B, the ringer control volume metal piece touches the gong in both the SOFT and LOUD settings:

Click on photos to see larger images (from reply #7).

Ringer at Soft Setting

Ringer at Loud Setting

I also have a bunch of short video clips on YouTube showing how the clapper acts at the soft and loud settings after my various adjustments (trying to get the clapper closer to the gong):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn90wwjV3rtzC1DEEBsJ-RA

---

In my mind, the big question still remains:
What does a normal 702B Princess Phone sound like at both the Soft and Loud Settings?

If anyone can point us to a video and/or create a video recording of a "normal" 702B Princess Phone ringing in both the soft and loud setting, it would be appreciated.

---

Take care,
GLadstone

12-27-2016 Edit:

poplar1

Looking at a M1A (Princess) ringer manufactured 3-77:

When the ringer is at rest, the distance between the clapper and the gong is the same whether the ringer is in "low" or "loud" position. However, when you move it to "low," two things happen: (1) the "dampening spring" touches the gong, thus muting the sound and (2) the ridge on the plastic "volume-control arm" prevents the armature from moving as far away from the gong, so it doesn't strike it with as much force.

So, the gong is struck whether the ringer is in "low" or "loud" setting. But the dampening spring should not touch the gong when the ringer is in the "loud" position.

There is a third setting, "off," which is attained only if you remove the small screw from the outside of the base. This allows the volume-control arm to go to a third position where the ringer armature is prevented from moving at all.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

GLadstone

Quote from: poplar1 on May 18, 2015, 04:12:55 PM

When the ringer is at rest, the distance between the clapper and the gong is the same whether the ringer is in "low" or "loud" position. However, when you move it to "low," two things happen: (1) the "dampening spring" touches the gong, thus muting the sound and (2) the ridge on the plastic "volume-control arm" prevents the armature from moving as far away from the gong, so it doesn't strike it with as much force.

So, the gong is struck whether the ringer is in "low" or "loud" setting. But the dampening spring should not touch the gong when the ringer is in the "loud" position.

There is a third setting, "off," which is attained only if you remove the small screw from the outside of the base. This allows the volume-control arm to go to a third position where the ringer armature is prevented from moving at all.

Hi poplar1,

Thank you for taking the time to look at your 1977 princess phone ringer and report what you see!
It is appreciated!

---

Hi Everyone,

A couple updates:

1. For kicks and giggles, I recently experimented with the YouTube editor and joined four 1963 princess phone videos together for better before and after sound comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShpJh259BA

Soft setting before and after 3rd adjustments
Loud setting before and after 3rd adjustments

2. I was able to recently acquire another princess phone at a flea market, so I hope to add some more photo and video comparisons to this topic as time allows.

The newly acquired princess phone is beige and was refurbished 1970, but may have started out as a 1968 model as a couple parts, including the M1A ringer are dated 1968.

The M1A ringer design in the beige 1968/R1970 phone sounds similar to the design as described in poplar1's 1977 princess phone, and is updated / slightly different than the pink 1963 phone, so I'm curious to see how it sounds when plugged in at the soft and loud settings as compared to the 1963 phone.

I've got some more cleaning, testing, and repair work to do on this "new" beige 1968/R1970 princess phone before I can plug it in to test out the ringing sounds-- It may be a little while before I update again...

In the meantime, if anyone has anything to add or contribute, please feel free!

Take care,
GLadstone

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

Due to the closing of Google's Picasa Web Albums, I will be going through this topic and deleting all the Picasa Web Album text links as they are no longer working.

Edit 2:
All Picasa Web Album text links have been removed.  ;D
End Edit.

At this time, the images are working and should remain working (if Google keeps its promise):
https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/6383491

In any case, I am posting my topic archives of this topic as I don't have the time right now to resize and directly upload all these photos as attachments.
(Thinking as I type: Maybe I'll just download the images currently uploaded and attach those...  :) )

Edit 3 (12-23-2016):
I received permission from TelePlay to create a new topic just for photo attachments as many of these replies contain more than six images!
Thanks TelePlay!  :)

All currently uploaded images have been downloaded, numbered, and re-uploaded as attachments here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17316.0

All that remains is to change the original links to the new forum attachment links, but that will have to wait for another day...

Happy Holidays Everyone! :D
End Edit.

Edit 5 (12-27-2016):
End edit.

Web Archive (May 5, 2015):
Page 1:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150505184143/http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12714.0

Page 2:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150505184556/http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12714.15

Web Archive (December 20, 2015- updated topic):
Page 1:
http://web.archive.org/web/20151220000900/http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12714.0

Page 2:
http://web.archive.org/web/20151220000958/http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12714.15

Web Archive (12-22-2016- After removing Picasa Web Album Links)
Page 1:
http://web.archive.org/web/20161223071257/http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12714.0

Page 2:
http://web.archive.org/web/20161223071405/http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12714.15

I have a few PDF attachments for this topic (and the other topic kept timing out), so I'll have to upload / share them via Google Drive.
I'll edit this post later...

Edit 1:
I forgot how many photos I took and shared!  :o
Note that the archive files are quite large...

Here is the shared Google Drive folder with all topic archives (PDF and jpg):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1pD8nZhz8vWd2tuVzctV3pWOFE
End Edit.

Edit 4  (12-23-2016):
Since Google is also planning on migrating the Classic Google Sites to the New Google Sites in 2017-2018, I've added the archives of my supplemental / notes Classic Google Sites Notes website to the above referenced / linked Google Drive Folder.
I will also be changing the web link in my forum profile from the Google Sites website to the YouTube Channel.
(Just in case ;) ).
End edit.

Edit 6 (12-27-2016):
For kicks and giggles and to see how long the Picasa Web Album (PWA) links really work, I've also added a PWA Photo Index (with the original / large photo links) to the Google Drive Folder linked above.

Hope that helps.

Take care,
GLadstone

12-27-2016
Topic archive complete!  :)

GLadstone

Quote from: GLadstone on June 26, 2015, 07:32:53 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on May 18, 2015, 04:12:55 PM

Hi poplar1,

Thank you for taking the time to look at your 1977 princess phone ringer and report what you see!
It is appreciated!

---

I was able to recently acquire another princess phone at a flea market, so I hope to add some more photo and video comparisons to this topic as time allows.

The newly acquired princess phone is beige and was refurbished 1970, but may have started out as a 1968 model as a couple parts, including the M1A ringer are dated 1968.

The M1A ringer design in the beige 1968/R1970 phone sounds similar to the design as described in poplar1's 1977 princess phone, and is updated / slightly different than the pink 1963 phone, so I'm curious to see how it sounds when plugged in at the soft and loud settings as compared to the 1963 phone.

I've got some more cleaning, testing, and repair work to do on this "new" beige 1968/R1970 princess phone before I can plug it in to test out the ringing sounds-- It may be a little while before I update again...

In the meantime, if anyone has anything to add or contribute, please feel free!

Take care,
GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

A quick mini update per poplar1's observations:

Some comparison photos of the 1963 pink princess phone versus the 1968/R1970 beige princess phone:

SOFT Setting
3-1963 M1A Ringer (Pink Princess)

(photo from reply #7)

SOFT Setting
10-1968 M1A Ringer (Beige Princess)

LOUD setting
3-1963 M1A Ringer (Pink Princess)

(photo from reply #7)

LOUD setting
10-1968 M1A Ringer (Beige Princess)

Phone Overview
1963 Pink Princess

(photo from reply #8)

Phone Overview
1968/R1970 Beige Princess

Before I can plug the 1968/R1970 Beige Princess phone into the wall to compare ringer sounds, I still need to clean off some sort of sticky yellow coating (you may be able to see it in the overview photo above), go over the wiring, and repair the line cord at the plug end.

Line Cord at Plug End Issues
1968/R1970 Beige Princess

In the meantime, I would love to hear any and all 702b M1A ringer sounds!
Please feel free to share your audio and/or video recordings as replies to this topic or your audio files to this topic:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1254.0

Take care,
GLadstone

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

A quick update:
With the TCI Library update (as noted in this topic here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19323.0), I've been going through my topics searching for broken links.

Quote from: GLadstone on October 02, 2014, 08:11:23 PM

Here is a related document in TCI Library about M1A ringers:
C18.048 I1 Oct62 - M1A N1A Ringer - Identification Maintenance Ocr R

An update to the bolded link above:

TCI Library home page:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Updated link for the C18.048 I1 Oct62 - M1A N1A Ringer - Identification Maintenance Ocr R document:

If you find any other broken links, please send me a PM.
Thank you!

Take care,
GLadstone

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

I've started cleaning the 1968 / 1970R Ivory (Tan) Princess Phone and looking over the wiring in preparation to repair the line cord, as noted above.

(Side note: This is the phone I found at a flea market to compare the soft and loud ringer sounds with the 1963 Pink Princess phone.)

An observation and a question:

A quick observed wiring difference between the two 702B phones:

On the pink 1963 Princess phone, there is a black wire on the 4010B network that starts at H and runs to A.

On the ivory 1968 / R 1970 Princess phone, this wire starts at H, but is insulated and tucked away (does not connect to anything).

---

Additional Information / Wiring Diagrams:

I had been using this wiring diagram, which shows the H to A connection on the 4010B network:
http://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/images/702b_md_schematic.gif

Curious about the wiring differences, searched the TCI Library for more 702B wiring diagrams and I found this one:
(C38.670.43-i1-Telephone-Sets-702B-Connections Tl (Oct 1962))

Which includes the following note:

"Note 2: For tip party dial message rate or automatic ticketing service, S-BK lead shall be disconnected from terminal A of network, taped and stored."

---

Question:

If I'm understanding this BSP note correctly, it sounds like this wire was insulated and tucked away on phones set-up for party lines.

Before I plug the ivory 1968 / R 1970 Princess phone in to test it, should I connect this wire to A (as on the pink 1963 Princess phone)?

Or, am I misunderstanding the BSP note and I should leave it as is (insulated and tucked away)?

---

Thank you in advance for for your assistance!

Take care,
GLadstone