News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Birth of a Telephone

Started by jsowers, July 05, 2011, 03:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

I found an article in the C&P Bell Transmitter from January-February, 1958, that was interesting to me, on how a 500 set was made. I wish the pictures were bigger and in color, but they're small and B&W. Still, it's interesting to see where the phones were made. The plant today is mostly vacant, I think. It's a huge place (see picture #1).

They were made on an assembly line, but unlike most anything made today, each one was hand done by many skilled hands. Camille, Aline, Ilsa, Ellen, Lois, Vera, Frances, Bill, Bea and Harold--where are they now? I often wonder when I'm taking apart a soft plastic phone with its original cords if I'm the first one to put a screwdriver to those screws since it was assembled. So the next time you take one apart, be sure to notice if Frances Moneymaker was the last one to touch those screws!
Jonathan

cihensley@aol.com

paul-f

Thanks, Jonathan.  It's good to be reminded that the Bell System was made up of real people.

Group Quiz:   How many spring cord wires did Frances Moneymaker attach to each transmitter using her compressed-air-driven-screwdriver?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

Thank you, Jonathan.  I really enjoyed reading those pages.  It would be great to be able to see those images in more detail and in color, as you mentioned.

Paul I will say two wires were connected to the transmitter end of the handset.  The red and black spring cord wires.  The two white leads were connected to the U1 or U3 receiver element.

Jester

Would anyone else here like to have an example of that FW mold?
Stephen

Adam

Quote from: paul-f
Group Quiz:   How many spring cord wires did Frances Moneymaker attach to each transmitter using her compressed-air-driven-screwdriver?

Well... I thought he was asking, like, how many millions...

But, it's a trick question, isn't it?

The answer is NONE.  Ms. Moneymaker never attached a spring cord wire to a transmitter.  She attached the wires to the transmitter CUPS.

:)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

paul-f

Well done, Adam!

I hope the caption writer on the original article was suitably chastised.

Another example of the Bell System being composed of real people -- who make real mistakes.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line