News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a rare E1 handset?

Started by waynet7, September 28, 2014, 11:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynet7

No markings on the receiver cap or the 'bullet', the elements are from 1928. Is this an uncommon E1 variation?

TelePlay

Can you post photos of the complete handset from different sides?

unbeldi

It appears to be a development version of the E1A handset, found in the early A1 desk sets. So, yes, today is quite hard to find.
This even predates the development model (D-87415) of the E1B handset.

Where do you find this old stuff?

Photos would be good to take a close peek of the features.

unbeldi

Between 1924 and 1927, four development models (Type A, B, C, and D) were tested in NY/NJ, with changes primarily in the receiver, but also the transmitter internals. The D-models are apparently different from these, yet, and seem to apply to the versions of the final product, the E.

Production of the E1A handset was begun in late 1926 at Hawthorne, and available in 1927.

waynet7

It is attached to a B1, that has no dates anywhere. I believe this phone to be all original, including the 2HB dial.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on September 28, 2014, 11:53:06 AM
Where do you find this old stuff?

Yes, where did you get it and what did you pay for it, the B1 plus the handset, I assume?

You posted some very nice and informative photos. Can you post a photo of the handset sitting on the B1? That would also be great.

unbeldi

So this is an E handset, and I believe it isn't uncommon to find D-numbers on the first batch of B1A or B1B telephones, in case there is anything common in finding them.  Since yours has a dial, it's a B1B.  Does it say B1 on the rear below the cradle?

unbeldi

The most detailed history of the early handsets A through E, I believe is written in A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System - The Early Years.

waynet7

Here are some more pictures. This was an Ebay gamble, I paid $250 for this, not a bargain but I liked the fact that the original finish is in EXCELLENT condition.

waynet7

Yes it does say B1 on the stem below the cradle.

Kenton K

I'd say thge handset makes it worth at least that much. But what do I know.

-Ken

unbeldi

Quote from: waynet7 on September 28, 2014, 12:29:43 PM
Here are some more pictures. This was an Ebay gamble, I paid $250 for this, not a bargain but I liked the fact that the original finish is in EXCELLENT condition.
Well, you're getting you money back already as we speak, and then some.

Still, not bad for this, as it does appear in original condition, and it's hard to find the early editions.

unbeldi

It's kind of fun to operate one of these barrier-button transmitters, to see just how bad they were compared to the F1. Do you have a 534A subset for this beauty?

There is an unused, NOS, 102/D1 on sale on eBay right now, also with a bullet transmitter. It would be a good investment for your profits from the D8083.  Then you can compare quality with a "new" transmitter.

poplar1

The part number for the transmitter appears to be D-85835. There may also be a D-8xxxx number on the back of the receiver.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Here is the chapter of the BTL history of the Bell System that relates to the development of the E1 handset.