"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay item number. 171168713096

Started by jfrutschy, November 10, 2013, 11:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Hi everyone,

Simple question here regarding this item.  Is this a " WE. A. ".   Handset on this telephone?  And if so is that not the original handset for a WE A 1. Desk set?

John

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171168713096

TelePlay

Seems to have once had something, maybe a transmitter, in the middle below the ringer.

For posterity.

Seller states: "antique 1940s wall telephone, in oak - it's missing the tiny key to lock the box. -all part seem to be there (don't know if it àctually still works)"

wds

I see where something was mounted in the middle of the door, but I don't see any holes for wires?
Dave

AE_Collector

Isn't that a PhoneCo invention?

Terry

jfrutschy

Discovered these photos of the handset, Paul-f.com.  I was told once that these early handsets were the predecessors to the E1 for the WE A1? 

So I would just chase it for the handset if it would make one of mine  even more rare and original?

TelePlay

rdelius

Phone co was selling these sets but not with that handset .Was a BTM set not an invention.The WE pre E1 handsests were almost identical to the French handsets on the 1924 French cradle sets.The French handset had an ind coil receiver .Do not know if the WE did. When I last went to the Smithsonian there were a couple of WE A1 sets with the prototype handsets. The brass id tag on the rec end was marked Western Electric.The French handsets were marked in the same manner but not WE

paul-f

Quote from: jfrutschy on November 10, 2013, 03:28:49 PM

Discovered these photos of the handset, Paul-f.com.  I was told once that these early handsets were the predecessors to the E1 for the WE A1? 

Here's a link to the page, with some additional info (photo credits and the handle stamping).

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#A

I have a few of the French handsets, and wish I had an A1 to compare them with.   ;)

They turn up on a number of models, including these from the photo collection...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line