News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE E1 vs. F1 handset

Started by Jack Aman, June 07, 2014, 03:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Aman

I always read and hear about the "improved" or "more efficient" F1 handset, and my three phones with F1's function well.  I am expecting my first phone with an E1 to arrive Monday.  It, like all of my small collection, will be a "daily driver" after clean-up.  I like the antique look of the E1, but is the E1 handset suitable for actual practical use?  Will I have to replace it with an F1 to hear and be heard?  As always thanks for advice and assistance to a newbie and lurker.

poplar1

Most  "E1s"--those made or refurbished in 1935 or later--already have a 625A transmitter assembly, which has the same F1 transmitter unit found in "F1" handsets. You can tell these by the flat grid rather than the "bullet" shape of the older 395B  transmitter.  So with the later type transmitter, the only difference in an E- and an F-type handsets are slight acoustical properties because of the shape of the mouthpiece--electrically they are the same.

While the "bullet" transmitter is definitely inferior, the 557B receiver found in all "E1s" is usually acceptable, so long as the diaphragm is present and not bent.

For best results with either type handset, you may want to use a subset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

395B was the standard transmitter on E1B handsets from 1928-1934:

poplar1

625A transmitter used on E1E handsets 1935-1939 and on refurbished older handsets:

tallguy58

How do you make sure the spitcup is oriented properly on the handle?

Do you assemble the transmitter as a unit then position it properly and lastly tighten the locking ring?
Cheers........Bill

poplar1

Quote from: tallguy58 on June 09, 2014, 06:50:13 PM
How do you make sure the spitcup is oriented properly on the handle?

Do you assemble the transmitter as a unit then position it properly and lastly tighten the locking ring?

That's how I do it. You can leave the locking ring slightly loose, then attach the entire assembly. Then you'll have to line up the mouthpiece and then turn the locking ring clockwise.

Jack Aman

My new 202 with the E1 handset arrived today.  The phone looks and works very well.  It has been outfitted with a mini network inside the body.  The outgoing transmission is perfect, according to people I've called.  The sound in the reciever is acceptable but sort of tinny and flat compared to my phones with F1 handsets...that said, it's perfectly adequate and works fine for communication.  Thanks for the useful replies and interesting information.  As always Poplar has done yeoman's duty with the illustrations and expert insights.  Thanks!

Jack Aman

The E-1 handset in my new old phone performs kind of oddly.  The dial tone is very strong, loud, robust.  When a call is connected, however, the sound is a little tinny and flat...sort of diatant-sounding.  Normal for this receiver?

poplar1

Is the diaphragm damaged at all? Can you show how the phone is wired?

Jack Aman

I haven't been able to inspect the diaphragm as I haven't been able to  fully dismantle the receiver end of the E1.  It is TIGHT!  Here is a photo of the wiring.  I am holding the "mini network" out of the way to reveal all the wiring.  Is there a difference in performance between this  mini network and a real subset?  As always, thanks!

rp2813

A blow dryer and a strap wrench should help you remove the receiver cap.  I had a really stubborn one on my E1 and that did the trick.

As has already been stated, the 395B "bullet" transmitters are vastly inferior to the 625A/F1 retrofit for an E1 handset.  Considering what you've been told by distant parties, I'm confident you have the 625A arrangement.

My experience is that the 557B provides somewhat hollow/fuzzy/tinny reception and isn't as clear and clean as the HA1 type used with F1 handsets.  A lot also depends on the type of phone the distant party is using.  Cordless phones only exacerbate the issue, but in most cases I can hear the person on the other end well enough not to have to ask them to repeat themselves.  Reception was much, much worse and very squawky when I was using an older oddball model WECO subset.  Changing to a 634 subset brought dramatic improvement.  I would think your mini network was designed to provide circuitry similar to a 634, but determining that is beyond my troubleshooting scope.

If the diaphragm on your 557B is flat, a new diaphragm or entire 557B unit is unlikely to improve things -- again, I'm only speaking from my experience.
Ralph

poplar1

I'm really surprised to see the blue wire from the mini-network connected. This wire should not be connected at all.

Jack Aman

Would removing it improve receiver sound?

poplar1

Doubtful, but it won't hurt to try it. The blue wire was used only on certain party lines in order to charge the right party for billable calls.