Started by Sargeguy, January 25, 2009, 08:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have another spare E1, but it's seamed:-\

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

I'm so sorry!  And I hate to make you spend more time on this tragedy, but could you take a photo of the broken ends, please?  I've always wondered how the wires go through the solid handsets, and... well... this is a perfect opportunity.  Unfortunately.  :'(
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

It is really interesting.  My first reaction was "WTH?? Where are the wires?" (actually my first reaction was "NNNOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!").  You can barely see where the two wires are embedded in the Bakelite.  Here is a picture:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Good God that's a tragic moment!  I would have cried.

At least some minor good came from it in that we all got educated about how the wires run through the E1 handset.  We also learned not to drop an E1.  Ouch! 

Dennis Markham

Greg, that is amazing.  I have never seen anything like that.  It is interesting to see those wires embedded in there.  Sorry about the damage.  

winkydink

I am sorry too.  I have been looking around for an E1 handset myself, and know how pricey they can get.  Ouch!

It makes me want to put pillows around my work space so the same fate does happen to phones that I am working on.

It may be a little late, but if you do go ahead with another handset (my 202 has an F1 handset), I found my original drawing.  It does not add a whole lot to the conversation (Bingsters annotated photo, and my email probably are more clear), but I did say I would post it, so here it is.

WD

Konrad

Sargeguy I am sorry for your loss and have felt similar pain.  While it will never be the same again you could repair it.  Drill out a wire channel, JB weld together and paint.  Maybe a couple of pins, like a broken leg.  While it will never be the same again, only you will know.  To everyone else it will look fantastic.

Sargeguy

It's also cracked through at another point.  I think I may have to order a handle from Oldphoneworks or keep my eye out for one on eBay that needs restoration.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

With regard to dropping the phone......from my "I Can't Believe I Did That Department" is my Oxford Gray Model 500.  Now, I had been wanting one of these to add to my collection for a long time.  One day one finally came down the eBay pipe and I pushed the button, spending more than I wanted to spend---but hey, I finally got one.  A few days after it arrived I was using it at my desk.  I swiveled in my chair and pulled it off the desk and onto the floor.  It struck the ground on the edge of the dial bezel.  Fortunately the plastic did not crack on the phone case but the bezel was apparently brittle and it shattered like a piece of china.  I know the sick feeling that one gets in the pit of their stomach after a stunt like that.  Much like Greg probably felt when it broke his E1 handset.  I put out a call for a replacement to the members of the phone club.  I think I can still hear them laughing.  I'm still looking for that replacement.

Perry

You may have already seen it, but there is a relatively nice E1 handset on eBay right now:
http://tinyurl.com/E1-handset
The bidding might get pretty high because it's seamless and "in original box" (although it doesn't really look like NOS to me).

Your accidental cross-section really shows how thin the "shiny" part of the bakelite is on these.

Dan/Panther

Sargeguy;
My guess is the wire that is located very close to the edge of the bakelite casting is what ultimately caused it to break. Had that wire been closer to the center, it may have survived the fall.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 27, 2009, 02:49:35 PM
Sargeguy;
My guess is the wire that is located very close to the edge of the bakelite casting is what ultimately caused it to break. Had that wire been closer to the center, it may have survived the fall.
D/P

I will return it to Western Electric and demand a replacement!!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Quote from: Perry on January 27, 2009, 02:32:15 PMYou may have already seen it, but there is a relatively nice E1 handset on eBay right now:
http://tinyurl.com/E1-handset
The bidding might get pretty high because it's seamless and "in original box" (although it doesn't really look like NOS to me).

I agree.  It doesn't look remotely close to NOS to me.  It would probably clean up well, but the rough earpiece and underside shows it was used.  A lot.  I'll bet the box is for an F1 and that this E1 was replaced by an F1 and put in the F1's box.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Gee Dennis that broken dial bezel is one sad story as well.  Oxford gray is a nice color, and it's strange that the bezel just went all to pieces like that. 

Maybe we should make up a gallery of Sad Phones, pics of whatever the saddest broken, busted or messed up phone or phone part anyone has is. 

Dennis Markham

I have had a few come broken, but it's worse when I break them myself.  It just made me remember the first 554 I bought.  I was a real eBay "rookie" and got into the bidding war thing--instead of learning to wait patiently and snipe it at the end.  I paid over $80 for a green MODULAR wall phone.  I just didn't know the difference then.  That didn't include the shipping.  I took it out of the box and removed the cover-----butterfingers.  That cover hit the floor and the corner where the notch for the modular plug broke off and skidded across the kitchen floor.

Maybe we should make a posting of broken phones.  I have a few that I could contribute, for sure.