News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone see this Mushroom 500 on eBay, or, what once was...

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 05, 2013, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I found what appeared to be a black 500 mushroom on eBay, my heart started pounding, but after a closer comparison with other Mushrooms, it seems to have a cap over the hole instead of a lamp hood. Notice how the actual lamp hoods barely overlap the dial, and this one stays within the boundaries of the shell, and you can actually see the dust that accumulated under the hood that still surrounds the cap. (First picture is eBay phone, Second one is a photo I pulled off Google Images.) Do you guys think that Western Electric made some sort of cap to use on former Mushrooms during Bell shop refurbishments?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151159367531
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 05, 2013, 10:55:33 PM
I found what appeared to be a black 500 mushroom on eBay, my heart started pounding, but after a closer comparison with other Mushrooms, it seems to have a cap over the hole instead of a lamp hood. Notice how the actual lamp hoods barely overlap the dial, and this one stays within the boundaries of the shell, and you can actually see the dust that accumulated under the hood that still surrounds the cap. (First picture is eBay phone, Second one is a photo I pulled off Google Images.) Do you guys think that Western Electric made some sort of cap to use on former Mushrooms during Bell shop refurbishments?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WORKING-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-PHONE-ATTACHMENT-FOR-HEARING-IMPAIRED-/151159367531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2331cce76b
This was not a 'mushroom' phone (500H or P).
This is a 514-type set. The covered hole is for a message-waiting lamp. The 514 has an output for a headset on the rear.

RotarDad

Christian - Unbeldi is right, and quicker than I.  That is a model 514.  Take a look on Paul-f.com.  It is a headset phone for a business,and the plug covers an optional message-waiting light.  These don't seem to sell for much from what I've seen.  Good eye on the mushroom location, though.  Let me know when you find a real one..... ;)
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Okay, thanks guys. I never thought of the "call waiting" light, and I certainly would not have thought of that possibility until after I paid $100 to not see a P/U designation on the base ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Another clue is that the key (turn-button)on the 514 is above the dial to the right. On a 500U, is on the bottom left.

Of course, the turn key is also on the bottom left for a 2-line set such as a 510, but there is no lamp on a 2-line set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

The back and bottom photos (below) tell the rest of the story.  Note the 514B model number on the bottom.

You can compare them with photos on my site at:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#514

where you'll also find BSP references to look up in the TCI LIbrary.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line