News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric payphone wiring to convert

Started by Jf510, September 19, 2021, 12:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

Hi..I just got this Automatic Electric payphone and would like to convert it to work. I have converted Western Electric payphones because WE is mainly what I collect but the price was right on this Automatic Telephone so I had to buy. The inside is completely different so I don't even know where to start. I am just a average repair guy so if someone has some simple wiring instructions that would be great. I have an extra network and ringer to use. Also what number lock & Key goes on the coin door?  The door is also completely different to the Western Electric phones.  Thank you.

< edit 09-22-21: images removed, rotated, reinserted >

Key2871

Convert it to work... How.
As a payphone?
Or as a regular telephone?
KEN

poplar1

Door takes a 10-L lock.

It already has an induction coil and capacitor. So you don't need to add a network.Ringer was in a separate bell box mounted externaly
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

Oh sorry . Just as a regular telephone . Not the coin mechanism. That's great it has the induction coil and capacitor so how would I connect and thanks for the 10L lock info. I will now have to track one down. I was lucky to have an extra 29s lock and key for the housing.

stub

Maybe this will help.  stub

"right click on pic to enlarge"
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jf510

Thanks for that. I am not the best with schematics but I will try and follow it to see if mine is wired the same. I did see where the L1 & L2 is hopefully for the line cord and where I can wire a ringer.

Russ62

Many people are still damaging the value of their vintage payphones by removing the coin relays and stuffing an ill fitting ringer inside.  Instead, on this phone, unsold er one of the wires to the micro switch on the upper coin chute tape up the bare wire end and store where it won't interfere with the passage of coins. On the lower relay, disconnect one of the wires shown on schematic going to the dial impulse contacts. If your not sure witch one, just disconnect all 3 or 4. Don't cut these wires just unscrew the spade lugs from the relay tape and store.  Loosen the large screws holding the relay to the base enough that the vertical lever on the back of the relay disengages from the coin hopper flap that directs the coins to collect or return and position the flap as desired. The tighten back the screws holding the relay. To provide a ringer, extension ringers are common and usually inexpensive. I have often found the A.E. #33 ringer only subsets for a couple of dollars or free. However any single line extension ringer will work. Either parallel L1 and L2 from the ringer to the phone, or use a separate line cord and double socket single plug adapter.  Mount the ringer near the phone. This preserves the phone's full value and in the future some one could reconnect the wires and use coin line simulator if they wished.

Key2871

Schematics can be daunting, but take your time and trace the wires as best you can, if you have questions you can come back here and ask, the experts here will help you out.
KEN

Jf510

Thank you all very much..I will give it a try and follow. As you say to the basic repair guy the schematics can be intimidating.

Jf510

I did the best I can in following the wiring from the schematic and it seems ok. After connecting the line cord and plugging it in I got nothing. I am lost on the info regarding disconnecting wires on the relay. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

poplar1

Do you have the 29-S key to lock the upper housing? It is probably necessary for the upper housing to be installed and locked so that the transfer contacts connect

poplar1

Also, can someone provide photo of the transfer contacts on the main backboard? I think they may be bent out too far. Maybe they should be parallel to the backboard rather than at a 45 degree angle.

Jf510

I hope this is what you meant by transfer contacts and I did have the two pieces closed and the 29s lock locked in position before plugging the phone in.

Jf510

I just made sure the contacts were all straight and clean and rechecked the wiring the best as I could and put it all together and locked it up and it's still dead. I am stumped at this point.

poplar1

Assuming the line cord is good, try answering the phone (even though it is dead) by calling from a cell phone or another phone not on same line. When you lift the payphone handset off the hook, does it sound (to the calling phone) like the line was answered? (In other words, no longer hearing ringback tone in the receiver of the calling phone). If so, try blowing or talking into the transmitter of the pay phone and see if it transmits to the calling phone.

Maybe Jim, Terry, or Stan will chime in. I don't know much about AE phones.