News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Handset misplaced!

Started by Zack C, November 21, 2014, 09:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zack C

I have recently purchased a subset for this D1 base and am now looking to replace the handset. Would anyone be able to tell me what model handset this is or even the phone it belongs?

unbeldi

The handset is from a 32A14 type phone.  This handset is designed for use in PBX installations. It has a little lower efficiency than the PSTN telephone handsets. It is also used in some intercom systems.
Both handset and dial are by Automatic Electric.
Perhaps you should be looking for a new housing?

Zack C

Thank you for that quick reply! So the base is a WE and the subset to be delivered anytime is a WE 634. Sounds like Frankenstein in the making with the AE parts you pointed out. I got the phone for cheap so I suppose I'll keep the dial as is and replace the handset. That would likely be an F1? Will the dial work ok with the subset?

stub

Zack C,

Your handset has the induction coil in the receiver and won't have to have a subset to work. I think some of the contacts are different between the AE and WE dials so it may not work right , not sure.
            Here's two more AE's that can use that handset and all are called Type 32A14 Handset Wall and the other is 32A14 handset extension phones, as  unbeldi stated ,it was used on intercom systems also . So you have a nice start to two great phones.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Zack C

Ok thank you both for your help. I certainly appreciate it.
Zack

twocvbloke

For a moment I thought that the handset had been placed in the cradle upside down or something... ;D

unbeldi

Whether or not the dial can be used with a Western Electric circuit depends on the exact contact configuration on your dial.  AE dials were available with different sets of switches for various applications, and since your phone is not an original combination there is no way to even guess what the intention was.

Western Electric was very meticulous about designing telephone circuits that performed in "user-friendly" fashion, meaning for example that the telephone receiver was disabled during dialing so that the users would not suffer loud pops to their ears with every digit dialed. This requires a certain sequence of make and break contacts on the dial, which were not provided by all dial manufacturers.

The most common AE dials (AK-25) simply had three contacts that were shunted during dialing. This configuration requires substantial modifications to the wiring of a Western Electric telephone. AE did have a dial, called the AK-29 arrangement, which is compatible with a WECo 4H or 5H dial, which is what you need. Perhaps you are lucky. If you can post pictures of the back of your dial, we can decide.

As for handsets, an F1 would be indeed appropriate, but the E1 is the earlier type which was original to your housing. Starting in 1937 E1 handsets were replaced with F1 types in maintenance. It will be easy to find an F1.

Doug Rose

WIRE AN AUTOMATIC ELECTRIC DIAL TO A #302

1.      Connect the yellow/brown switch wire to the moveable pulse contact.
2.      Connect both the black condenser wire and the black handset cord wire to the fixed pulse contact (it has a strap on it).
3.      Connect the red/slate wire from "L1" on the induction coil to the middle shunt contact.
4.      Connect both the blue switch wire and the white handset cord wire to the remaining shunt contact.
5.      IMPORTANT: Move the rd/slate wire from "L1" on the induction coil to "R" on the induction coil.

the black handset cord wire goes on the same terminal with the black condenser wire.

Leave the red handset cord wire connected to "R" on the induction coil, along with the slate/red wire.

The white handset cord wire goes to the blue/brown wire from the switch.

Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 22, 2014, 09:37:59 AM

Sorry, but such recipes are really not helpful at all when
a) the user has not a 302
b) the wire colors are all different.
c) the type of dial present has not been determined.

Zack C

Thank you everyone, I am still reviewing the details of the replies. I have attached a pic for interest. Having seen Bingster's posting regarding 102 and 202 configuration, it is clear that this is neither. :) also looks to have been a phone without a dial at one time.
Thanks again!

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 22, 2014, 09:37:59 AM

Thanks for the wiring info, Doug... Great reference to have handy.

I have at least 2 302 / AE dial sets; haven't fooled with them much, yet.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

unbeldi

Quote from: Zack C on November 22, 2014, 05:33:14 PM
Thank you everyone, I am still reviewing the details of the replies. I have attached a pic for interest. Having seen Bingster's posting regarding 102 and 202 configuration, it is clear that this is neither. :) also looks to have been a phone without a dial at one time.
Thanks again!

It probably was a manual phone at one time. It is common sport by collectors to equip them so they can be used today to make calls.  The dial that you have is a standard AE configured dial with the AK-25 switch configuration. I think it is at least a 51-type dial, made from 1951.

It is virtually impossible to see from the picture whether it should work as is.  Someone spend a great deal of care securing cords and wires, and determining the present functioning would require analyzing and tracing the wiring present.

The 634 subset you are expecting can have a couple of different configurations also.  A 634A subset is an upgrade from a 534A for anti-sidetone service with a new induction coil, two capacitors, and a four-conductor mounting cord.  How many conductors are in the mounting cord of your telephone, not the handset cord?

Once you get the subset, you will have to decide whether you want to start all over with the wiring.

Zack C

Ok here are some better pics. Also the subset came today. It is pictured as well. If there is anything needed for clarification please let me know. Thanks again all!
Please note. The brown is the signal from the wall. The black is the handset. Of course there is some splicing going on inside so I will give some details.

1. A jumper is going from w on the base to the 1st contact on the left of the dial.
2.Next connection (2nd from left on the dial) is a wire from the handset.
3. Next connection on the dialer is a jumper. The 3rd from the left on the dial.  It goes to bk on the base.
4. The other wire on the handset goes to r on the right of the base. Also connected here is one of our wires from the wall.  This is the black wire that is spliced in and loops around the base to make its connection.
5. Next wall connection goes to letter y on the base.
6. Last wall connection goes to gn.
Now it seems like only 2 wires bring in the signal from the phone company so one of those wall connections are probably pointless in the base. Also a wire is not hooked up in the base at all from the 4 wires going to the wall outlet.

unbeldi

Ok. So your subset box was converted in 1942 with a 101A induction coil and red-stripe B ringer, war time.
There seem to be going only three wires to the ringer, black , red, and slate or so.  No slate-red wire?
Does the ringer in fact have four or only two?
I see a line cord attached to the ringer box already and it is in the right place.  Does it ring?

Need to spend a little time with your wiring descriptions...
But from the wall you only need two wires today, it used to be that grounding was needed for ringing, but not for a long time now.

Zack C

Unbeldi, take your time on the research. I appreciate all the advice you all give. There are only 2 wires for the signal from the wall... green to L2 and red to L1. Rings great! What is said to be slate in the schematics looks white and comes off of k and goes to the ringer coil. Another pic for you attached. My finger pointing at the wire. Thanks
Zack