News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm new to this forum - but wow!

Started by FABphones, February 16, 2018, 09:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Welcome to the forum, we are several non North Americans here, I'm in Norway.

You will probably get all advice's needed, and it is pretty easy for most of us to overlook some basics when we read or write. I got that good idea ow steel wool from here, but did not read well enough so I used some from the kitchen. That is fare from fine enough!  When I got that fine quality, it was like a miracle!

I am far from an expert, and are probably to lazy to get top results but:
I have tested several chemicals to get it shining, and what who is the best may vary with the original finish of the bakelite. I have a brownish bakelite radio on that a solution of British white spirit = Norwegian (and an entirely different product than the US term witch is pretty more like gasoline.) and paraffin oil (medical) and a little drop of aroma oil to cover the smell until it evaporates. This is great and keeps it shiny.  My European bakelite telephones (except German) are not that glossy, and will be better with shoe polish, colored car wax or Chinese oil.  The last one gets it more glossy, but do not get the color more even. Combinations are absolutely an idea, but you need time to let one dry out before the next is applied.

dsk

PS This thread my be of interest: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12264.25  DS