News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New guy with a Stromberg Carlson Candlestick, need help to get it to work

Started by ncali, March 16, 2019, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncali

I am new to this forum and new to old telephones. I bought a Stromberg carlson dial candlestick and would like to get it to work. I don't need it to ring but it would be nice if I could get it to dial out and receive a call.
My telephone experience is pretty much what I have read on this site. I can read a schematic and follow a wiring diagram and I do have the ability to learn.
  I have been unable to find a model number on the phone. The receiver has a number 88-10 on it and I find no number on the Dial. I replaced a coiled cord that was connected between the base and receiver.  It had bare wires touching in the reciever and the connection in the base
  does  this phone look fake to you folks?
  Is it possible to get it working?
  do I need a subset connected to get it to work?
Thank You for any help

Welcome to CRPF. There's a lot of knowable people here, I'm sure you will get your answer soon.

ncali

Thank you for the  reply. I do hope to learn as much as I can about this phone and how it works

andre_janew

I'm no expert on candlesticks, but I do know that they need a subset to work properly.

HarrySmith

The back of that dial does not look at all familiar. Can you get a clear picture of it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

That is a North dial. SC did not make their own dials untill later

ncali

As I put the project away for the day I ended up with
a very faint dial tone, I hear the tone with the hook switch closed
when the switch is open no tone.
At this point the dial does not kill the tone when dialed

Sargeguy

Receivers are pretty reliable.  Transmitters are a little more sensitive.  You will need a subset to get this working properly.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HowardPgh

Look at this Stromberg Carlson bulletin it has the wiring for the dial CS phone and wiring for subset.
I don't know how to save individual pages from a PDF so you got the whole thing. This came from JKL or TCI Library I think.
Howard

ncali

Thank you all . Could I get some  guidance on a subset , where
to purchase and the correct one for this phone

again thank you

ncali

I am the guy with the stromberg candlestick. I have been told that  I need
a network or a subset to get it to work, Can someone tell me what a network does ?  what a subset is/does ? and the ringer , are they the same?

dsk

The network is there to split up the 2 line signal from the exchange to the receiver and the transmitter.
The transmitter uses the DC power from the line, but the receiver does not like DC.

The subset will often contain a ringer too.

From the late 1920ies they started with "anti sidetone circuit" When you hear yourselves to well you will lower your voice and the other party will not hear you that well, so with a configuration of a transformer and often a capacitor they managed to help that problem. 

I guess you may get your candlestick working with whatever you get of a subset.  Until you get fingers in to a subset who don't cost to much, you may make something by yourselves, The simplest is to put use a capacitor and a resistor or a coil.

Look here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2849.msg39770#msg39770

You do not take any huge risk if you are just testing by putting the receiver and transmitter in series, but the DC trough the receiver will weaken the permanent magnet after some time.

dsk

Edit, here are 2 suggestions;  The a resistor of 220 ohms are OK, a coil may have considerably lower DV resistance.

ncali

Thank You, That looks like it would be simple enough to put together
   can you or any one else recommend a place that I can purchase a subset
I found the site old phone works that has a stromberg  Carlson 1243/1250 network for 20.00 if it is the same thing but first I will try the resistor and cap. to test it

Thank You

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-Carlson-200595-B-Network-for-Vintage-1243-1250-Series-Telephones/153377354316

poplar1

Quote from: ncali on March 23, 2019, 08:07:05 PM

I found the site old phone works that has a stromberg  Carlson 1243/1250 network for 20.00 if it is the same thing

That network  is  much newer (anti-sidetone). You need a sidetone subset -- note that the induction coil (transformer) in the photo has 2 windings (4 wires), not 3 windings.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

Here is several ways of thinking, so I have to ask a few questions:

1)
a) Does it matter how it looks, or
b) Should it just work.

2) Do you want
a) high quality sound (closer to modern phones) or
b) the original sidetone making it more authentic, but you have to move the receiver a little from your ear when speaking and put it closer when listening.

Of course you may start with one solution and end up with another. 

I have a D1 telephone without an original subset, telephones with separate subsets were never used i Norway, and I am not willing to pay enough for one original with shipping.  I have made 2 subsets to the phone, just for fun/testing/learning. 

The first circuit was based on parts from an old Siemens phone with a circuit close to AE used, later I took a Norwegian phone from the 50-ies  Both worked well but the latest one had a more suitable ringer, and I kept that Siemens circuit. In lack of the right cabinet I mounted everything in a key locker.

https://www.komplett.no/product/973788#productinfo  (link will die soon)

Since the cabinet was mounted out of sight it did not matter much, and the sound quality is pretty good. Here is my first subset without ringer:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16538.msg171097#msg171097

I will try to take some pictures of the latest subset and add in here today.

dsk

Pictures: