News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question about magneto phone

Started by ldj1002, September 07, 2012, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldj1002

Why is it you can't ring some magneto phones when they are off hook? When it is that way how to change it to ring when on hook?

dsk

Hi
Several reasons for that, and here comes 2
1) They did split the telephone circuitry in 2 parts. Signalling and voice. Then it was just divided by the hook switch.
2) When cranking a table top phone, you'll need to place the other hand on the phone to keep it steady.

The easiest way to modify will be to look at a diagram for a field telephone, and just let the hook switch work as the p.t.t. switch.

dsk

poplar1

Like water, and some of us, electricity follows the path of least resistance.

Lower resistance through the talk circuit than through the ringers means the bells won't ring when one or more phones on the party line are off-hook. For this reason (some people leaving the receivers off the hook) a condenser (capacitor) was added in series with the receiver as an option.  

A modern phone also *stops* ringing (trips ringing) when you answer and the central office detects the drop in resistance.  Likewise, the central office determines that you are off-hook and waiting for a dial tone by the drop in resistance caused by the DC continuity through the off-hook phone. The ringer on the other hand has a capacitor in series to allow the AC ringing current to pass through to the ringer and to block the DC which would otherwise make the line busy.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Bill

Any magneto power that is consumed by the local ringer is unavailable for ringing the far-end ringer. I was always under the impression that, at least on long lines, the local ringer was switched out in order to send max power down the line.

Anyone else have this feeling?

Many antique dealers and junque shoppe managers disconnect everything else, and connect the ringer to the magneto, since the first thing their customers do is crank the handle. Tsk tsk.

Bill

AE_Collector

Not just the bell or the "Drop" athe switchboard end but every other magneto phone that is on the same line.

Terry

poplar1

Kellogg phones disconnect the ringer of your phone while you are operating the hand generator....
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ldj1002

The phone I am asking about is a SC 1248WL. I am ALMOST sure when it arrived it would ring on or off hook. Wires coming out back that go to battery and L1&L2 had been cut off real short. I took apart to wire that up. I have it wired to another magneto phone and both phones work. The SC won't ring on hook. I would like for it to do that. The other phone will ring on or off hook and ring to SC phone on or off hook.

dsk

You are probably right.
THE SC 1248WL had the ringer constantly bridged, and the magneto will be bridged when rotated.
You will find the link to the diagram on this page:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=26

dsk

davidbholcomb

Quote from: poplar1 on September 08, 2012, 11:43:25 AM
Kellogg phones disconnect the ringer of your phone while you are operating the hand generator....

Thank you for this posting poplar1
I just got my Kellogg Magneto Wall Masterphone model 5816-M(3816-M) and everything seemed to be just fine except the ringer did not ring when I operated the magneto, either on or off hook. I spent an hour checking everything to be sure the wiring was correct, current coming from the mag and the wires were all in good shape and then I came to this forum and searched. After finding this  posting I hooked up another magneto subset and sure enough my phone rang! Thanks again poplar1, I was about to start searching for a new 1600 ohm ringer!
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.