News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unconventional uses for a rotary phone

Started by MidCenturyModern, November 25, 2016, 10:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidCenturyModern

Interested in unconventional uses for a conventional phone. Was gifted princess phone. So it would do something -- I connected it to a Talkswitch 480vs PBX. Now, it has a dial tone. Would like to do more. Like the idea of having it play music. Found this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL_RjEwzU7s. Open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Doug Rose

I would re-gift it to someone who would use it as designed. That is my suggestion.

I really like telephones for the purpose they were created.

They are art. 

Put it one on a shelf and watch them multiply.  It is a cool trick

Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: MidCenturyModern on November 25, 2016, 10:26:58 AM
Interested in unconventional uses for a conventional phone. Was gifted princess phone. So it would do something -- I connected it to a Talkswitch 480vs PBX. Now, it has a dial tone. Would like to do more. Like the idea of having it play music. Found this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL_RjEwzU7s. Open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Your time and effort would be better spent restoring the phone.  Post some pictures of it and we can tell you lots of things about it and tips on restoration.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Given today's technology, the most unconventional use for a rotary telephone would be to use it to make telephone calls.
I beleive many others would agree.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andre_janew

I make phone calls with a rotary phone every chance I get.  I had no idea that was unconventional!

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on November 26, 2016, 02:10:46 PM
I make phone calls with a rotary phone every chance I get.  I had no idea that was unconventional!

Given all other forms of communication today, most of them being TT, wireless and/or mobile, it is indeed unconventional to make a simple phone call on a device hard wired to a jack in a wall. Other than business calls made through large PBX systems for the company/school/hospital, etc. and all of those being TT, I would guess the percentage of personal (non-business) calls made on a rotary phone today would be well below 0.1% of all non-business calls made. So, yes, anyone using a rotary phone, especially a 100 year old stick, to dial out or receive a call is today unconventional.

Feels good, doesn't it, to be special?   ;)  Especially when we spend so much time and money preserving that part of this nation's history.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

MidCenturyModern

"Post some pictures of it and we can tell you lots of things about it"

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

I would advertise it on a classified site to trade for say, a radio or something that would do a better job of reproducing music.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

finkmac

Aw, what's wrong with dial-a-tune? I think that's a great way to play with these things, as they generally don't make amazing communications devices anymore... Whenever I'm using my old carbon-mic phones on confbridges and such people complain that the amplitude/volume level of the microphone is too low.

With an Asterisk PBX you can play MP3 music files pretty easily with just a small amount of configuration.

NT Northern Telecom

TelePlay

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Greg G.

Need a picture of the bottom so we can see the condition and any markings that may tell us the date of manufacture and any refurbs.  Pink phones in good condition are very collectible.  The first picture shows that the handset is hardwired (as opposed to modular).  Also need a closer look at the embossing on the underside of the handset.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: Jim S. on November 30, 2016, 12:38:08 AM
Not WE.

Because of the white plungers? Did all WE Princess phones have clear plungers?