News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

powering Ackerman Boland (1906?) residential intercom

Started by GNCourtney, December 13, 2023, 05:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GNCourtney

I am new to this world, so any suggestions are welcome.

I have an Ackerman Boland intercom which I believe was installed in 1906. Five stations remain interconnected but appear to lack a power source. I am interested in advice on how to power the system and at what voltage. There appears to be a coil (9) wired with the system.

Any advice or instruction? Thanks in advance.

countryman

That's a true antique.
Relatively soon after the invention of the telephone, elaborate intercom systems appeared. Yours seems to be of the line selector type which requires quite extensive and complicated wiring. A lot of individual schematics existed in this early days. It would require a bit of research and analyzing to find out of what type this exact system was. Ackerman-Boland phones rarely appear at auctions, and information about the schematics used is not easily available to say the least.
The object in pictures 3 and 4 looks interesting, but I have no clue what it is...

AL_as_needed

That item in image 3 and 4 almost looks like a lightning arrestor. Also seems to be a red and green trip / ring pair running past there. Is it possible that this system could have been tied into an outside line at some point?
TWinbrook7

RDPipes

More photos would be nice, is this what your phone looks like?

countryman

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 14, 2023, 08:12:43 AMIs it possible that this system could have been tied into an outside line at some point?

This seems not unlikely. I found a schematic for a similar system by Stromberg-Carlson in a 1910 book*):

IMG_20231214_171643_668.jpg

La / Lb are the outside lines, two separate batteries (MB and RB) are used for the transmitter(s) and internal DC ringing.

*) Die Fernsprechtechnik der Gegenwart, C.Hersen, R. Hartz, Braunschweig 1910

GNCourtney

There is a carriage house, so the insight about an outside line would make sense.

GNCourtney

RDPipes photograph is exactly what the more elegant units on the main floors look like (photo 5). The units in the basement and attic are more utilitarian (photos 1 & 2).

GNCourtney

"La / Lb are the outside lines, two separate batteries (MB and RB) are used for the transmitter(s) and internal DC ringing."

There are two disconnected and fairly old 12v DC transformers not far from the basement unit. I had assumed those related to doorbells. 

AL_as_needed

Quote from: GNCourtney on December 14, 2023, 12:02:57 PM"La / Lb are the outside lines, two separate batteries (MB and RB) are used for the transmitter(s) and internal DC ringing."

There are two disconnected and fairly old 12v DC transformers not far from the basement unit. I had assumed those related to doorbells. 

Well now that sounds like your power source, or at least part of it. Possible things were modified a bit over the years to as parts were replaced for more "modern" versions.

Could always start small (like with a 9v battery) just to see if the voltage makes it through the system. A trick I use on all sorts of older electronics.
TWinbrook7

ka1axy

Quote from: GNCourtney on December 14, 2023, 12:02:57 PM"La / Lb are the outside lines, two separate batteries (MB and RB) are used for the transmitter(s) and internal DC ringing."

If they're transformers, they're not DC. If they have rectifiers and filtering capacitors in addition to the transformers, they would supply DC.

A better question is "why were they disconnected?" There may be additional issues. Suggest testing with batteries first.

GNCourtney

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 14, 2023, 12:09:13 PMCould always start small (like with a 9v battery) just to see if the voltage makes it through the system. A trick I use on all sorts of older electronics.

Where would one apply the 9v?

G-Man

The coils are likely battery feed coils (a.k.a., choke, retard coils). When applying battery make certain to not exceed the recommended voltages so as to not fry the transmitter or d.c. bells in the sets.

Intercoms of this sort were commonly referred to as "Convenience or Interphone Systems" and while the instruments generally looked cosmetically different, they frequently used same basic wiring schemes. So it would not be unusual to find an early Western Electric intercom system mixed with a Stromberg-Carlson, Connecticut, Kellogg or Graybar instruments when an original set needed replacement.

G-Man

Here is a link to various vintages of wall interphones.
Some may find it that is would be worthwhile to explore other (unrelated) portions of this website.
https://www.grantstelephoneclassics.com/wall-intercoms.html

G-Man

TELEPHONY                                                                                                                JULY 1906, VOL XII, No. 1

INTERIOR TELEPHONE SYSTEMS

The Ackerman Boland Telephone Company Chicago has for some years past devoted itself zealously to the study development and manufacture of interior telephone systems for factories offices stores hotels, hospitals, schools, residences, apartment buildings, etc., ranging in capacity from two to twenty five stations and in price from $25 upwards.

The firm claims the following points for its apparatus. Instantaneous communication with any department without leaving the desk any station can call and converse with any other station will pay its cost several times during first year of service at the small price the busy man cannot afford to be without this great time saving device.
    The Ackerman Boland Co asks all interested parties to send them a small pencil diagram of their building showing approximate distances between stations and it will submit estimate of cost.