News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tii Technologies

Started by Babybearjs, December 10, 2018, 02:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

just wanted to ask, I have a whole house DSL filter on my NID. it was given to me by a friend. The brand is Tii and I looked through their Catalog and am wondering, what brands do the current phone companies go with for parts? or is it up to the individual techs?
John

CanadianGuy

I'm a contractor for BellMTS, and they've supplied us with a bunch of different brands and models over the years. Wilcom, Excelsus, Comtest. Oddly enough, we started getting Tii parts within maybe the past year, but only their "voice intercom switch" for cutover/porting of the customers existing number from the competitor.

That allows us to go in, connect all services, then the port request goes through within 3 business days. After that, the customer can disconnect the competitors phone equipment and return it. They used to have us go out on the dute date of the port request, but I think the competition saw that port request and would convince the customer to stay with them before we could make it out. I guess they finally wised up, since I've seen Shaw porting switches in homes for years! It's very competitive, even though landline service is going away quicker by the day it seems.

Babybearjs

the reason I asked was because my NID is an unknown brand, all it says is "Qwest" on it. the modules that the unit uses are P/N:15412EP-2D ULM Series.  Do you happen to recognize the part number and can tell me what brand it is? My Neighbor was a contractor also for the phone company and gave me a bunch of NID cases. I pulled all the modules out of them and put them all in the on my house, a total of 4 to bring the full count up to 6. Today I was cleaning up my wiring on the NID and added another whole house DSL Filter for line 2. I'm having the second line activated on Thursday. The main objective here is to find the proper whole house DSL Filters that fit my NID because right now I pulled the modules 4-6 out of the unit to make room for the filters I have and they are basically just hanging by their wires on the box. everything is working, so no problem there. I'm just trying to find the proper parts for my NID.
John

CanadianGuy

Not sure about the manufacturer. It shouldn't matter too much, as the protectors all serve the same purpose. I was taught that only the active pairs need protectors, so I feel you only need two. As far as filters, if the second line is only for pair bonding your xDSL service (and no voice communication) you likely won't need the second filter. We don't put them on second lines, which we call "delinked" even though they still have dialtone and we can ANI them.

Babybearjs

the reason I asked was that the filter module fits in the NID, but won't mount.  so I was hoping the Part number might give us a clue as to whom made it. I hate it when there is no manufacturer ID on stuff, run into this with computer parts at times too!
John

CanadianGuy

You could post some pics if you'd like. We often have to mix and match, so stuff doesn't always fit the way the manufacturer intended. It's frustrating, but we don't have any choice.

Babybearjs

I got my reply. My NID is a Corning 3006 and I'm using 2 Tii 95S DSL splitters in it. the units are incompatible for mounting. the DSL Splitters and hanging loose in the box and I was hoping to find the proper brand to use, problem solved... though its just going to have to stay the way it is for now... and its funny, I didn't know Corning had gotten into the communications market... but, they are a glass manufacturer and so I guess FO technologies are part of their diversification! (and I still thought they only made Fiberglass Insulation!)
John

dc4code

I have a Tii Coax Grounding device (given to me by an AT&T Tech)