News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

So now I have 2 Leich 901's on the way...

Started by Claven2, May 31, 2013, 06:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

On the 1920s type ringers, the string attached to the spring was often a string tied to a screw on the other end.  The tension was adjusted by turning the screw.

Larry

Claven2

Yes, perfect.  Interestingly mine had been detached for a while as the spring was rusted from sitting at the bottom of the chassis.  Yet the ringer was still works ng well!  Guess its importance is not great.

poplar1

The spring isn't necessary when hand generators are used (local battery line).

If the spring is missing on a common battery line (batteries and ringing current at the central office), the bells may tap when dialing or hanging up.

Sometimes, you can prevent bell tap by just reversing the polarity of the set or the ringer, but usually you want to have a spring.

On the other hand, some people prefer bell tap so they know when someone is dialing or hanging up. Not standard procedure, but easier than installing busy lamps.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Claven2

ok, makes sense.  Well I'm re-wiring to common battery, so I'll make sure to re-affix the spring when re-assembling.  Most of the screws on the base were rusted, despite the base itself being rust free, so I have those soaking in evaporust while I wait for the conversion kit.  Will likely do all the wiring changes at once so I only have to re-tie the wiring harness one time.

poplar1

I forgot to mention that the spring is needed only for straight line ringers like this one. These are the type ringers used on most lines. The "harmonic" or frequency ringers used on certain party lines do not have a spring.

Claven2

Thanks for the info - you seem to know more about the 901 than anyone else I've yet heard from :)

poplar1

No, the only thing I knew about 901s was that you could connect them together or with antique wall magneto phones. I'm just talking in general about LB vs CB. I didn't even know that 901s could be converted from LB to CB.

Claven2

Well I have a copy of the wiring diagram for converting from LB to CB and I would characterize the wiring changes as "extensive".  It's not just swapping two wires.  You have to change position on 7 or 8 leads, you need the adaptor kit, and you have to remove the entire magneto assembly and disconnect it.  Not impossible, but not a 5 minute job either.

Still, I really like the look of the phones converted to dial.  Such great early lines to them and that lovely all-bakelite convertible case.

Claven2

Allright, so I'm impatient.  I couldn't sit and wait until I had everything, so I carefully untied all the wiring harness.  It was tied with waxed cotton cord.  I got it all off intact, and will probably re-wax it with beeswax and re-install the originals.  I also disconnected the magneto and removed it without damaging the original insect netting glued over the vent holes in the metal chassis.

Unfortunately, two of the screw holding down the magneto were so corroded the heads snapped off.  They looked OK on the outside, but there was cement-like rust in the threads.  Luckily I have a pretty extensive machine shop, so I precision drilled them out in the mill without damaging the threaded holes in the chassis.  

I also removed the magneto cover from the case.

Everything looks to be in good nick inside the phone with the exception that the induction coil has some delamination between the metal sheets and some surface rust.  I think this phone may have gotten wet or was poorly stored at some point.  I'll have to check if poplar1 has any spare coils on junker phones since I have no way to check if this one is still good and I'd hate to have it all back together only to find out it's too deteriorated :(   (fingers crossed)  It's a Code 28, part No. 11991 indiction coil, Leich Electric Company marked.

Fun project so far.

Claven2

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 04, 2013, 11:22:07 PM
On the 1920s type ringers, the string attached to the spring was often a string tied to a screw on the other end.  The tension was adjusted by turning the screw.

Larry

i took it right down earlier tonight, and you're right, there is a captive spool screw on the other end for winding in the string to adjust tension.  Keep this up and everyone will assume you have all the answers!

G-Man

Just a handy hint for replacing the string for bias springs.

Most experienced telephone restorers use dental floss since it looks very close to the original and finding an equivalent product may be difficult to find or means having to buy an excessive amount.

Plus, depending on your choice of floss, you can also give it that refreshingly fresh minty smell!

Claven2

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.  Somewhere here I have a roll of the braided rope-like stuff, though I only use the ribbon type for actual flossing - lol.

AE_Collector

It looks like the waxed lacing string but probably was an untaxed (unWaxed....darn IPad...) version. I saw a cable splicer throwing 3 rolls of it in the garbage a couple of weeks ago while cleaning out his truck. I rescued one roll for a lifetime supply.

Terry

Claven2

no, it's definitely waxed.  Most of the wax is still there except at the very ends which are frayed a little.  I need to rub in some more way so they hold together well enough to be re-tied.

AE_Collector