News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 233QF lock question

Started by TelePlay, June 22, 2014, 08:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Just found this NE233QF at an antique mall today - $78.83 total with sales tax - but without keys.

I have a 29S key for my AE payphone but it will not fit this phone's upper lock, as suggested in some of the posts under NE payphone topics.

Seems the 21B is needed for the upper housing lock. If anyone has one or knows of a good source, please PM me.

As for the phone, it's a 1971 (transmitter and receiver elements are dated 12/71) and the back plate has "=71" stamped on it. The phone is in reasonable good shape with minimal pitting in the chrome. Dial turns freely, coin release button works and when I drop a dime in, I get the double ding so the coin chute and large gong must still be in it. The line cord looks to have been Silver Satin and was clipped off flush with the back plate. When bringing it into the basement, I noticed a rattle and with some judicious moves, discovered there is money in the coin box. How much? don't know. Don't have a vault key. It would be great if this phone were intact as built including a coin box.

If I can get an upper lock key, I assume it is a 21B, what will I need to do to get the vault open short of drilling, which may be the last resort. The only screws on the back are at the bottom, behind the vault, and don't know if this is a way in or not.

Any and all help with this is appreciated.

poplar1

There are up to 7 screws (4 are visible in one photo) on the back. If you loosen these, you can open up the phone.

If there is no coin box, you can then back out the lock screws in the 10-L AE lock on the vault door. Each vault door lock is keyed differently, but there is at least one locksmith (Jody) who can make a key.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on June 22, 2014, 09:03:27 PM
There are up to 7 screws (4 are visible in one photo) on the back. If you loosen these, you can open up the phone.

If there is no coin box, you can then back out the lock screws in the 10-L AE lock on the vault door. Each vault door lock is keyed differently, but there is at least one locksmith (Jody) who can make a key.

Thanks, I have Jody's info available if I need to go that route.

Now, there are 7 screws behind the vault on the bottom half of the phone. No screws above the vault. Do I just loosed these screws or do I remove them? There are 4 large headed screws on the corners and then two smaller ones on the left side and one on the right, when looking at the phone from the back. Do I loosen or remove all of them?

poplar1

I usually remove them completely, although you should be able to get the upper housing off by just loosening the screws.

mentalstampede

Nice phone!  I wonder what the history of that phone is that would cause it to have been equipped with an AE vault door!
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on June 22, 2014, 09:13:01 PM
I usually remove them completely, although you should be able to get the upper housing off by just loosening the screws.

Removed them completely. Had to put a slotted bit into a socket attached to a socket wrench to get 5 of them to move but they came out easily once they broke loose. And the phone came apart nicely.

First thing I noticed was some aftermarket wiring. The Ding-A-Ling sticker on the back must have been the local company that made the modifications. Separated the lower, upper and back plate best I could without removing the wiring (want to record and photograph what's inside before doing that). Then I noticed the coin box. Got lucky, sort of, there in that it was not a regulation coin box but a Pepsi 12 ounce soda carton cut, folded and taped to fit the vault and then crunched inside the vault. As such, I will be able to remove the vault door lock tomorrow. The "coin box" contained $3.96 in quarters and dimes and one penny.

Under the paper box was a single gong ITT ringer. The ITT ringer that came with the phone is below. The 4 wire ringer had eachof one pair tied together with each of the pairs then going to red and green, with a capacitor in line. Seems the phone was, as such, "hot wired" in that no network/coil is present.

What I did find in the phone was the coin chute, the gongs all the relays and coin mechanism. The phone is complete as built. It was not stripped out when modified by the Ding-A-Ling people.  There is even a key number on paper inside the phone which must be for the vault door but of little value without the key. Took the vault lock out and was surprised to find it is stamped 29S. Someone when rewiring the phone must have switched out the locks using a generic upper on the vault door.

Will take the upper lock off tonight. I expect it to be a 21B but won't know until then.

Got lucky on this one. All I need are the keys, a real coin box, an extended back board and an external 685 subset.

Will take pictures of the inside and post them tomorrow night. I think I got a deal on this complete phone for $78 total.

TelePlay

Here's the upper and lower insides. Appears to be complete, nothing missing, or did I miss something.

mentalstampede

All the important stuff is there! Just a few wires is all that's missing.

Here's a wiring diagram. It's for a 234G, but a 233 should be pretty much the same.

Also, if the vault door has a 29-S in it, it should be super simple to get a key for it.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

poplar1

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on June 26, 2014, 12:03:35 PM
So is the UH lock a 21-B?

Yes, it is. A key is on the way to me. I hope it works.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on June 26, 2014, 12:03:35 PM
So is the UH lock a 21-B?

Here's the front and back of the 21-B lock. Seems someone in the past needed to braze the top face to the top bracket in two places, unless this is normal. I've never seen a 21-B until now. Doesn't look like the face or top bracket were ever bent, as in open. Just securing the two together. Still waiting for the key.

wds

Just curious - did the key arrive, and where did you get it?  I need one for a Northern Payphone I have.
Dave

tallguy58

I need a 21B lock and key for a NE payphone.

Tough to find.
Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on December 26, 2014, 01:05:15 PM
Just curious - did the key arrive, and where did you get it?  I need one for a Northern Payphone I have.

Yes, the key arrived but it doesn't work. Haven't had time to see if it's a sticky lock or the wrong key, keyed wrong for the lock. Got it from a forum member.

I may end up sending the lock to Jody Harleson and have him make a good key, one that works.