Started by jsowers, July 28, 2009, 01:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Quote from: dsk on April 30, 2019, 12:17:00 PM
Are this link of interest?
I was just told about it, a dial card maker page: https://bre.is/s0ctxJalZ
If not relevant please delete.
dsk
If it would allow you to print on 2 lines, it would be nice!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Russ Kirk

here are some more...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Gary Millam

A couple of my favorite number cards.

Gary Millam

andre_janew

I have one that came off a Leich made AE80 telephone.  The phone was made in 1957 and, as I understand it, the first year for the area code printed on the card.

AT2796

Quote from: andre_janew on May 04, 2019, 11:55:54 AM
I have one that came off a Leich made AE80 telephone.  The phone was made in 1957 and, as I understand it, the first year for the area code printed on the card.

Very cool! That's my area code!
805 area code is (was) mostly Pacific Bell,  General Telephone had Santa Barbara county and a few small exchanges in rural areas in neighboring counties. If I am remembering correctly, 805 used to stretch from Monterey, CA all the way south to Ventura, CA  including my (Pacific Bell) county of San Luis Obispo and east to Kern and Kings counties.
I would love to know where that phone came from.
Andy

andre_janew

I bought the phone on eBay from someone in Chico, California about four years ago.  Is that even close to the 805 area code?

AT2796

Nope, Chico is 350-400 miles north of me, different area code.
That is a cool dial card you've got, thanks for sharing!

According to area-codes.com that prefix is in Oxnard, Ventura county.
Andy

Russ Kirk

I have quite a few of the General Telephone dial cards with area code 213 (Los Angeles).
Small is 1 1/2 ", larger is 1 13/16"
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

ka1axy

Nothing particularly exciting here, but I bought a 7/52 vintage "heavy" 500 off Goodwill because the prefix matched the one I had growing up (different area code though). I started to clean it up, and removed the dial card ring. Thought I was missing the plastic disc at first, but when I got it apart, this is what I found: the original dial card under the plastic disc, to which a stick-on all-numeric replacement had been stuck! 

Also of interest: our "alpha" prefix was "OLympic", this one is "OLympia".

Disappointingly, I notice that some (many?) Goodwills have taken to removing, not only the dial card, but also the holder, before putting the phones up for auction. Allegedly for "privacy" reasons :-(

ka1axy

Re: making dial cards

I have played around with both Word (Windows) and LibreOffice Writer (Linux) and it's not too difficult to get some pretty realistic looking dial cards out of them. I've even been able to vary the shading and alignment of the number digits, to simulate stamping.

I have some starter documents if anyone's interested, though I don't think they can be posted, due to file type. PM me if you want to try playing with them.  I, also, got a 1.5" circle punch off Amazon and it's exactly right for the round cards. The notch you still have to hand cut though. Bonus: you can also use it to make plastic windows out of produce containers or any other source of flat, clear plastic!

Originals on the left, my fakes on the right.