News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Silver Imperial 202

Started by MMikeJBenN27, July 24, 2022, 02:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do I move this to Find of the Month?

Find Of The Month.
1 (100%)
Collector's Corner
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

MMikeJBenN27

check out my new Western Electric Silvr Imperial.  These are super rare.  The Gold ones are fairly common, but the Silver ones are not.  Most of the chrome/nickel plated D mounts are silver Continentals, with the standard brown suede foot. I have been looking for a Silver Imperial for a few years now.  Finally found one that is decent.

Mike

Jim Stettler

Open the handset'

It may have  G-type elements vs F type.
That will tell you the proper subset.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

MMikeJBenN27

It does.  I should use a 685 subset, but I have 2 684 units.  I will try them, but if I don't like it, will have to buy a 685.

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: Jim Stettler on July 24, 2022, 01:17:48 PMOpen the handset'

It may have  G-type elements vs F type.
That will tell you the proper subset.
Jim

I disagree. A large percentage of Continentals and Imperials have F4 handsets (HA1 receiver unit and F1 transmitter unit) and D4U (4-conductor) mounting cords. These were used with 684- or 634-type subsets.

A 211 or 202 with a 685A subset would require 5 or 6 conductors between the mounting and the subset. I have never found a 202 with a 5- or 6-conductor mounting cord.

The last 302 (1938 reissued in 1959) I purchased -- currently in use on my 5ESS landline -- has an F4 handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

I have a Gold Imperial with an F4, and I do have it hooked up to a 684, and I think it works fine, but some people feel that it would be better with a 685.  Maybe my ears are too old to tell the difference!

Mike

HowardPgh

My Gold Imperial came attached to a 684 subset that was painted the same color white as the handset.
Howard

Pourme

~

Congratulations on your find!

I have always loved Continentals. I love the story of the Continentals. I too searched high & low to add a silver to my collection (Still don't have a Peking Red). My silver is not in good condition, was in moisture and has some rust. I display it beside the Gold version with it's F handset, on top of it's 684a subset. It isn't in working condition but it exists & in my collection. I assumed these were the original parts, we can never be certain.

I do have a question on your Continental. I have never seen one with a dial blank. A Continental is defined by the pieces assembled to re build the phones. The 6d dial is a intricate piece of that 'formula'. Perhaps a special accommodation for a matching extension by a tech?

Very interesting piece, you did good. I'm jealous!

*The silver is on right. The gold looks silver in the photo.

~

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

I tried to delete the duplicate picture but couldn't. Not sure how I achieved that. Sorry.
Benny

RDPipes

Quote from: Pourme on July 26, 2022, 06:41:55 AMI tried to delete the duplicate picture but couldn't. Not sure how I achieved that. Sorry.

Its because after you hit upload you also hit "INSERT" and it puts a photo inside the post while if you just hit "Upload" it will just put one below the post. Quirky software here. I just don't ever hit Insert anymore to avoid the double photo post.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Pourme on July 26, 2022, 06:28:41 AM...I do have a question on your Continental...

Mine is an Imperial, as are those two of your's.  A Continental has the standard brown suede foot.  I have a green Continental that I will be sprucing up and selling.

Mike

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on July 26, 2022, 06:41:55 AMI tried to delete the duplicate picture but couldn't.

Deleted it for you.

Pourme

Benny