News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Magnolia Glayzit Polish

Started by Bill, September 16, 2008, 11:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

;D Welcome to the forums, Exray!! Glad to see you come.....
I've never tried Brasso on any type of plastic, but, I will surely see what it does. I was given a bakelite RCA battery radio by friend Exray some time ago, and, the bakelite has dulled considerably. Exray said he had tried several ideas, but, at best, they didn't last long. Anybody got any ideas on that?
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

BDM

Hey 'ex, surprised to see you here. Anyhoot, I've used Brasso on plastic and bakelite many a time. With a low speed buffer, it does quite a nice job. The radio collectors have been using it for years on bakelite.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

I too have observed this flaking-off coating on Bakelite, particularly on F-1 handsets.

Here is a photo of the four F-1 handsets I have in my collection. The second one from the left, as you can see, is very smooth and shiny. I've done very little to this one, other than wiping it down with a damp cloth and then a very light treatment of Armor-All.

The other three, as you can see, have a rough finish. They've all been scrubbed with soap and water, lots of Brasso, and then Armor-all, yet still have this finish. You can see where some of the glossy finish remains on the second from the right.

Dan/Panther

This is my WE500 ringers before and after, using BRASSO, and White Scotchbrite ONLY, and a lot of elbow grease, it took about 30 minutes to do both bells., The white Scotchbrite is about the least abrasive all the colors. Each color is a different grit so to speak, in case some didn't know that.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Mark Stevens

The only thing I'll use to polish brass is Nevr-Dull Magic Wadding Polish. It works great, and makes a gong nice and shiny in a couple of minutes. Besides doing a good job, it doesn't require a separate applicator...you just pull-off whatever size piece of wadding you like and get after it! I haven't bought any in a couple of years, but hopefully it's still around. It used to be available at motorcycle shops and, I assume, auto parts and hardware stores.

Sean

Many have mentioned original formula Brasso. Any of you have a source for it? It's difficult for me to tell online what is what.

Thanks!

Sean
Yep... I am an AE 35/50 and 34/40 nut.

Automatic Electric, Automatic Electric, Automatic Electric!
AE CO, AE CO, AE CO!
Monophone, Monophone, Monophone!

All hail King Almon Strowger!

bingster

I think your best bet is to look at the local hardware store, preferably one that isn't terribly busy, and is likely to have stock sitting on the shelf for a good while.  Basically you want Brasso in the metal can, rather than the plastic squeeze bottle.
= DARRIN =

Sean

I suppose that's part of the question for me. It looks like on the internet that you can purchase Brasso in a can. Is the stuff in a can (with an updated label) the same as the old formula, or is it the new formula?

AE CO, AE CO, AE CO!

bingster

That's a good question.  I just assumed that the plastic bottle was replacing the metal can.  Maybe you have to get the cans with the old label?

At any rate, those of us who find Brasso indespensible should be sending e-mails to whatever conglomerate owns Brasso this week to let them know how unhappy we are with the change.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

I just called Brasso's 800 number, and here is the 411... ???

Sad but true >:( she said;'Due to environmental issues ::), the Violet Organic Compounds ??? have been lowered in Brasso, it will do the same job, but with slightly more effort." I assume the Violet compounds she mentioned are Carbon Dioxide related, so it is probably the ammonia content that was lowered. ;D

She also explained that it is in direct response from laws past in the Great State of California ::), My home state ::), NOT MY BIRTH STATE, I was born in the Marvelous state of New York :), and now reside in a permanent state of confusion ???. ( I might add with great Help From Mr. Bill Cahill  :o :o).
She further stated that the formula, is an across the board issue, not subject to change now or in the future. :(
I wonder if adding a slight amount of ammonia :o will return it's former glory ??????
So once again, The Peoples Republic of California 8), is dictating unfavorable condition for the entire country :-\.
I'm ashamed at this juncture, to say I live here :-\.
Regards to all;
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 23, 2008, 01:37:25 PM
I just called Brasso's 800 number, and here is the 411... ???

Sad but true >:( she said;'Due to environmental issues ::), the Violet Organic Compounds ??? have been lowered in Brasso, it will do the same job, but with slightly more effort." I assume the Violet compounds she mentioned are Carbon Dioxide related, so it is probably the ammonia content that was lowered. ;D

She also explained that it is in direct response from laws past in the Great State of California ::), My home state ::), NOT MY BIRTH STATE, I was born in the Marvelous state of New York :), and now reside in a permanent state of confusion ???. ( I might add with great Help From Mr. Bill Cahill  :o :o).
She further stated that the formula, is an across the board issue, not subject to change now or in the future. :(
I wonder if adding a slight amount of ammonia :o will return it's former glory ??????
So once again, The Peoples Republic of California 8), is dictating unfavorable condition for the entire country :-\.
I'm ashamed at this juncture, to say I live here :-\.
Regards to all;
D/P

Dan, did you forget your meds again? Every time he forgets his meds, he blames me.
You see, his confusion started long before I ever met him.
Don't worry, Dan. Just take your meds, and, you'll be fine.....
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Thank you Dan for the final word on Brasso.  As Ricky Ricardo would say (OK, I'm old enough to know who Ricky Ricardo is) "...dat 'splains dat one Lucy".....
I went to all of my favorite places to find that it all had been removed from the shelves (the cans).  None of the store employees knew why.

Funny comment Bill.....gave me a chuckle.

Sean

I went to the local hardware store and found a big arse gallon sized can with the original label and forked over $36.00 and away I went. I shall have a great time polishing the AE 50s at the house.

Thanks for your input all y'all, and let us know what you all will be moving to once the fountain of ol standby Brasso has run dry due to the Great State (well maybe) of Californication.

Sean

AE CO, AE CO, AE CO!

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Sean on September 23, 2008, 03:43:09 PM
I went to the local hardware store and found a big arse gallon sized can with the original label and forked over $36.00 and away I went. I shall have a great time polishing the AE 50s at the house.

SCORE!  Maybe you should list it on eBay...
you could make a bundle!  ;)

benhutcherson

To my nose at least, the ammonia content of the new formula is significantly higher than it every was for the old formula.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that the only things in the old formula that could be classified as volatile  organic compounds(VOCs) were listed on the label as "light petroleum distillates". Since the label didn't elaborate, it's hard to say just what exactly they were, but to me at least old formula Brasso always smelled very kerosene-like. I don't detect that smell in the newer formula Brasso.

So, it sounds to me as if Brasso may have eliminated most of the paraffin content that was present in the old formula This would account for the different smell and the different texture. If that's the case, it may be possible to roughly approximate old formula Brasso by adding a small amount of petroleum ether or mineral spirits to the new formula.

I'll experiment with that when I get a chance.