"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Slal's (Bruce's) Phone Gallery

Started by Slal, May 02, 2014, 01:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Grouping of AE stuff.

AE six button Intercom desk phone (#AM-63) 32A14 handset (HS)
AE 11A I think. 
I don't know exactly what the two line phone is.
AE Deskphone, type 32A14 HS
In back, is an AE Wallphone, type 32A14 HS

The little AE-4 extension makes a nice bedside phone near all my weather stuff.  I put a 32A14 HS on it to match my "PAX" collection.

AE-35 near my typewriter

AE-44 in the shop.  This thing doubles as outdoor bell extension.  Could probably hear it outside while using a chainsaw or something.

Last one should be gray 500 with office stuff.  Matches stapler.  Dark gray would be nice, but odds against finding one of those!   :)

WEBellSystemChristian

Great collection so far!!

Very envious of that 501. All you need is the correct vacuum tube! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Slal

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 24, 2018, 08:23:28 PM
Great collection so far!!

Very envious of that 501. All you need is the correct vacuum tube! :o

Kind of you to say.  Phones have vacuum tubes?  Thought that was vintage amplifiers & hi-fi stuff.  O_o !

Anyway, as you might have guessed, I'm an avid college football fan.

One game during the season, I'll bump Alabama and hook one of these two up.

You guessed it...

Army - Navy game!  :)

AE_Collector

Nice set of AE's!

Is the two line you mention the one with the single lever switch? So we determined in another topic that it is a 31 and the one to its right is a 32. You need a 47 soon!

Terry

RotarDad

Slal - The tube Christian references is a 426A cold cathode tube used for selective ringing on party lines.  Phones so equipped from the factory were model 501, instead of 500 and have a small screw in the the bottom plate just aft of the network which holds the tube.  You can see your phone's screw hole shows scratched paint where the tube was installed.  Picky collectors like to have their tubes present..... ;)  I found one on Ebay now for $10 shipped with a date code 5639 (39th week of '56).  BTW - The red w/gray cords is awesome!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112752323781
Paul

Slal

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 24, 2018, 11:34:07 PM
Nice set of AE's!

Is the two line you mention the one with the single lever switch? So we determined in another topic that it is a 31 and the one to its right is a 32. You need a 47 soon!

Terry

Thanks.  Yes, it's the same phone. Decided I needed to get to work and do something with ones that had been sitting around or don't work.  The base isn't connected and would need subset of course.

Probably dumb question, but...

What is a 47?  The three button one?

Anyway, wishlist getting there!

AE-2 and AE-4 /14 with "A" for that sexy dial attachment.  : )

Also ran across this little gem.  Probably long odds of finding one of those too, but that's what makes it fun.

Just what the busy 'modern' executive needs!

Slal

Quote from: RotarDad on January 25, 2018, 12:42:24 AM
Slal - The tube Christian references is a 426A cold cathode tube used for selective ringing on party lines.  Phones so equipped from the factory were model 501, instead of 500 and have a small screw in the the bottom plate just aft of the network which holds the tube.  You can see your phone's screw hole shows scratched paint where the tube was installed.  Picky collectors like to have their tubes present..... ;)  I found one on Ebay now for $10 shipped with a date code 5639 (39th week of '56).  BTW - The red w/gray cords is awesome!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112752323781

Thanks!  Both for reply and the link.  Will probably pull trigger on it after stopping by here.

No expense spared on the "Bama" phone.  Sports fans are superstitious.  Better mojo withits vacuum tube...

Am assuming I would *not* actually connect it.  Would just be in there for historically 'complete' 501 for lack of a better term?

Best

--Bruce, who is trying to remember how to multi-quote here.  : )

RotarDad

Bruce - You could leave it disconnected, but the appropriate wiring diagram for today's lines has been documented by others here in the past.  Besides, disconnected wires are a bit messy...... ;)

Here's the forum link:

http://tinyurl.com/3ka3xvs

This is for an older 500 with the 425A net, but all should be fine if you connect the black and red tube wires to the same net terminal that your black ringer wire connects to.  The yellow tube wire goes to L2 like the diagram shows.
Paul