"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2012C Transformer Questions for 702B Princess Phone

Started by GLadstone, September 25, 2014, 06:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

Now that I have the line cord and 505A plug repairs sorted out, I've been reading about the Western Electric 2012C transformer for the 702B Princess phone and want to make sure I have people more knowledgeable than I checking over my progress/plans before trying to plug the phone and transformer in the wall given electricity is involved (and all the warnings about possibly running the transformer electricity over home wiring)...

Overview:
-Basic Wiring/Questions
-Phone Jack Wiring Photos/Questions
-Line Cord/Plug Wiring/Questions
-Transformer Photos
-Parts Photos/List

---

Overview
-Basic Wiring/Questions

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3155.msg42242#msg42242
Quote from: jsowersWhen you install the transformer, you can attach it to your phone jack on the wall with a short piece of station wire to the Y and B terminals, but be sure there are no yellow or black wires from the house wiring hooked to your phone jack. You don't want that voltage all over the house--just at the one phone.

Questions:
-How will I know if the transformer electricity is going through the house/phone lines?
What are the signs and symptoms?

-I have (modular) DSL filters connected to my (modular) phone jacks for my (basic) phone service / (basic) internet connection.
Any issues to be prepared for with the transformer testing/plugged-in?
Semi-Related topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3603
Should I disconnect the modem and other phones before testing out the princess phone/transformer for the first time?

---

Overview:
-Phone Jack Wiring Photos/Questions

Photos Behind Modular Phone Jack/Face Plate
From what I can see, it looks like only Green and Red Wires are connected from the house wiring to the back of my two Face Plates/Phone Jacks.
(So, hopefully no electricity will be sent through the house/phone line from the transformer, right?)

Wires Behind Phone Jack/Face Plate One:
Wire colors are Red (Left) and Green (Right).

Wires Behind Phone Jack/Face Plate Two:

Connections Behind Phone Jack/Face Plate Two:

Diagram of Wires/Connections Behind Phone Jack/Face Plate Two:

Does the wiring behind the two face plates/phone jacks check out for testing the transformer?
Any thing else I need to look out for around/behind the face plate/phone jack?

---

Overview:
-Line Cord/Plug Wiring/Questions

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=09294ce9f5d6e49518fc69a529a2ae84&topic=11271.msg120430#msg120430
Quote from: poplar1
The dial light in a Princess phone is powered by 6 to 8 Volts AC. This is provided by a separate transformer, not the phone line. The transformer should be connected as follows:

Princess Model:                       Mounting Cord Conductors (Line Cord):
701B                                      Yellow and Black
702B and 2702B                      White and Black
702BM and 2702BM                 Yellow and Black

502-710-400CAF Édition F
502-721-402 Issue 7
502-723-401 Issue 9

For ease of reference, here is a quick overview of how my 702B Princess Phone line cord is wired from the phone to the 505A four pronged plug:
Lamp Terminal          -->line cord-->          505A plug
3=white                     -->line cord-->          Y
4=black                    -->line cord-->           B

4010 B Network:       -->line cord-->           505A plug
G=Yellow                  -->line cord-->           electrical tape
L2=Red                   -->line cord-->            R
L1=Green                -->line cord-->           G

Questions:
-Yellow is connected to G (ground) inside the phone network, but is not connected to anything inside the 505A plug (I have it wrapped in electrical tape).
This is correct for use with a 2012C transformer, right?

-Related to the question above:
As found here: http://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/telephones.html
QuoteDoes your Princess 702B phone not ring?  Does it have a 5-conductor line cord (yellow, black, white, red and green wires)? Try placing a jumper wire from terminal "L1" to terminal "G" on the network box inside as shown in this modified Bell System drawing [see above link for link to PDF].

I have yet to plug in the phone to see if this is an issue and/or a needed repair, but thought I would ask about it since it is a related topic:
Since this repair connects the Yellow ground conductor/wire to the Green tip conductor/wire at the network, any effect with transformer use?

---

Overview:
-Transformer Photos

As I was researching/buying parts for the line cord/plug repair, I came across a pre-modified modular Western Electric 2102C transformer (from Old Phone Works).

Western Electric 2012C Princess Light Transformer Modular Photos:
Front:

Back:

Close-Up of Connections:

(It is difficult to tell how the wires are connected to the transformer... If you need more details, I could contact Old Phone Works directly and ask for specifics.)

---

Overview:
-Parts Photos/List

Here is what I currently have for parts and planned set-up:
I have yet to try to plug anything in...

Parts:

-505A 4 prong plug
-Modular to 4 prong adapter from PhoneCo
-Western Electric 2012C Princess Light Transformer Modular from Old Phone Works
-Duplex in-line adapter from local store. Can also be found at PhoneCo
-Modular Cord Coupler from PhoneCo
-7' Length of Modular to Modular Pink Line cord from Old Phone Works
-DSL filter
-Phone jack/Face plate
-Wall outlet/Surge protector

Given the parts I have, this seems to be a pretty simple set-up and that it should be a simple plug and play, but as I mentioned above, I just want to run everything by people more knowledgeable given all the cautions about the possibility of running the transformer electricity over home wiring...

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments on my planned set-up?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Take care,
GLadstone

12-22-2016 Edit:
Removed Picasa Web Album Text Links

12-27-2016 Edit:
Insert image links updated from Picasa Web Albums to GLadstone's CRPF member photo collection.

poplar1

Since  you have only the red and green wires from the wall connected in each jack, there won't be any back feeding of the transformer to the other jacks.

The taped up yellow lead in the plug is for the ringer--notice the black ringer wire on G inside the phone. So if you want the phone to ring, you'll need to connect the yellow wire in the plug: It goes in the slot adjacent to the green wire. This won't affect the lamp or the transformer since the lamp circuit is isolated from the talking and ringing circuits.

You could instead move the black ringer wire from G to L1 inside the phone, but since you have the correct 5-conductor cord, why not use it as intended?

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

GLadstone

Hi poplar1,

Thank you for taking the time to read through my questions!

Quote from: poplar1 on September 25, 2014, 09:58:26 AM
Since  you have only the red and green wires from the wall connected in each jack, there won't be any back feeding of the transformer to the other jacks.

That is certainly a relief to hear!  :)

The taped up yellow lead in the plug is for the ringer--notice the black ringer wire on G inside the phone. So if you want the phone to ring, you'll need to connect the yellow wire in the plug: It goes in the slot adjacent to the green wire. This won't affect the lamp or the transformer since the lamp circuit is isolated from the talking and ringing circuits.

You could instead move the black ringer wire from G to L1 inside the phone, but since you have the correct 5-conductor cord, why not use it as intended?

Thank you for pointing this out (I forgot that ground can mean ring on these phones. It has been awhile since I really looked at the wiring diagrams).
And, thank you for the clear directions.
I was wondering why the yellow wire/conductor seemed to have no where to go when everything I have been reading seems to indicate that these phones were designed with an economy of function.

For other newbies, the Porticus website suggests another solution for connecting the yellow conductor/wire:
http://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/telephones.html
QuoteDoes your Princess 702B phone not ring?  Does it have a 5-conductor line cord (yellow, black, white, red and green wires)? Try placing a jumper wire from terminal "L1" to terminal "G" on the network box inside as shown in this modified Bell System drawing.
Note: The drawing is a PDF, so I don't know if the link will work (that is why I did not provide the link in the first post).

---

In any case, I have some more repairs to do on my 505A plug, as I need to repair the "socket type terminal assemblies" (the copper H-looking parts) to be able to accept the yellow spade tip.

Here is what I started out with:

I'll post my repair results...

Take care,
GLadstone

12-27-2016 Edit:
Insert image links updated from Picasa Web Albums to GLadstone's CRPF member photo collection.

poplar1

Any of the 3 ways mentioned accomplishes the same thing so far as ringing:
(1) Connect the yellow wire to GN terminal on the plug
(2) Move the black ringer wire from G to L1 on the network
or (3) Run a jumper from G to L1 on the network.

GLadstone

Hi poplar1,

Quote from: poplar1 on September 25, 2014, 09:45:38 PM
Any of the 3 ways mentioned accomplishes the same thing so far as ringing:
(1) Connect the yellow wire to GN terminal on the plug
(2) Move the black ringer wire from G to L1 on the network
or (3) Run a jumper from G to L1 on the network.

Thank you for posting this in such an easy to read/follow format!

Take care,
GLadstone

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

Based on poplar1's suggestion to connect the Green and Yellow conductors/wires to the GN slot inside the 505A four prong plug to allow the phone to ring:

The taped up yellow lead in the plug is for the ringer--notice the black ringer wire on G inside the phone. So if you want the phone to ring, you'll need to connect the yellow wire in the plug: It goes in the slot adjacent to the green wire.

I have repaired the "socket type terminal assemblies" (the copper H-looking parts) to be able to accept the yellow spade tip.

As a reminder, here is what the socket type terminal assemblies looked like before repair:
Conductors/wires crimped in assemblies:

Here is the process of the repair:
Originally, each conductor / wire was crimped inside one end of the "socket-type terminal assembly" (the copper "H-looking part").
The remnants of this can still be seen in one corner of each assembly.

Using safety pin to push remnants of old copper conductor / wire out of the crimped side of the "socket-type terminal assembly" (the copper "H-looking part").
The released copper conductor can be seen at the bottom left of the photo.
Then used spade tip and safety pin to resize and reshape the opening.

Used spade tip to keep shape and size while narrowing the socket-type assembly slightly to ensure fit into the block.
Needed to do this for GN assembly only.

End result (top left corner).

Repeated procedure of other socket type terminal assemblies (in case they are needed in the future).
The repaired areas now all fit a spade tip and fit into the block.

After removing electrical tape from yellow wire/conductor and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.

Finished repair: "open." Spade tip terminals plugged-in to block/cord tip guide.
New for this repair: Yellow plugged into GN so that phone can ring.

Testing continuity of GN. 4010 B Network L1 = Green --> line cord -- > green spade tip terminal inserted in GN slot in 505A plug.

Testing continuity of Yellow at GN. 4010 B Network G = Yellow --> line cord -- > yellow spade tip terminal inserted in GN slot in 505A plug.

I also tested the continuity of R, BK, and Y (White) on the four prong 505A plug, but did not photograph it.

---

The results of the first plug-in coming soon...

---

Take care,
GLadstone

12-22-2016 Edit:

12-27-2016 Edit:

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

As promised, here are the results of the first plug-ins (performed over two days) of the 702B Princess phone with some repairs made to line cord and 505A plug.

Spoiler Alert:
The plug-in was not trouble free, and although I was able to resolve most of the issues with a couple quick solutions, I am still having issues with the ringer.
More details about this can be seen in Part 2 below.

Background:
-Basic phone/internet service
-DSL filters at wall/phone jacks
-Surge protector for Western Electric 2012C Transformer and (modular) phone lines
-Other phone/wall jack: Ringer off, but still connected to DSL filter and answering machine. Computer off, modem on.

First Plug-in: Day One:

Set-up for First Plug-in:
White modular plug to DSL filter to wall (upper left of photo).

Close-up of surge protector (modular) phone line connections.

Observations from First Plug-In:
1. No light.
Light did not come on in either the dial or night light setting.

2. Intermittent dial tone.
When lifting the receiver/handset, sometimes I got dial tone and sometimes, nothing, but I did hear a sort of "flat" one note tone that is hard to explain, but was nothing like dial tone. I tried to record it on video, but did not capture it...
"Jiggling" the plunger had no effect.
Neither did "hanging up and trying again."
It was more like a "wait and see when dial tone returns" game.

With dial tone, the phone properly dialed a number and received calls.
With no dial tone, the phone did not ring/receive calls (but, the house did because the call went to the answering machine from the other phone).
(I did not try to dial a number without dial tone).

I tried plugging the phone in other ways (after the first plug-in set-up as pictured above):
-with just the (pink and white modular) phone lines (i.e., no transformer) in the surge protector--> and still the same issue: intermittent dial tone.
-with just the (pink modular) phone line (i.e., no transformer) directly into the DSL filter--> and still the same issue: intermittent dial tone.
-with just the four prong adapter modular phone line (i.e., no transformer) directly into the DSL filter--> and still the same issue: intermittent dial tone.

The problem is not the DSL filter as the current phone (rotary 500 C/D) plugged into that DSL filter has never had this issue (and did not have any dial tone issues when plugged back in after testing the 702B Princess phone).

3. Voice quality (talking and listening) was on par with my other rotary phones.
No noticeable issue here.

4. When testing the ringer/receiving a call, the ringer sounded more like a vibrating/buzzing sound than a ringing sound on both the "soft" and "loud" settings, although, "loud" was noticeably more vibration than anything...

Videos of "ringing" sounds from Day One had some interference.
See Day Two videos below to hear the sounds.

To be continued...

Take care,
GLadstone

12-22-2016 Edit:

12-27-2016 Edit:

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

Continued from Part One...

Second Plug-in: Day Two:

Given wide range of issues with first plug-in (and remembering how dusty the phone was when opened for the first time), I started by cleaning all accessible metal contacts with a scrap piece of card-stock paper.

This was followed by reversing the order of yesterday's plug-in procedure to try to isolate a problem in the set-up.
-Started with four prong adapter directly into DSL filter --> good dial tone.
-Four prong adapter and (white modular) phone line (i.e., no transformer) in the surge protector --> good dial tone.
-Four prong adapter and (pink and white modular) phone line (i.e., no transformer) in the surge protector --> good dial tone.
-Added transformer to surge protector --> Light works! Intermittent to no dial tone.
-Removed pink (modular) phone line and connected four prong adapter directly to surge protector (with transformer connected) --> intermittent dial tone to no dial tone. Light works.
-Switched orientation of transformer modular phone lines and pink and/or four prong adapter modular phone lines in duplex inline adapter in surge protector (with transformer connected) --> intermittent to no dial tone. Light works.

---

For kicks and giggles, I tried dialing a number when there was no dial tone, just the "flat" one note tone that is hard to explain...
When dialing a number, the dial sound could be heard through the receiver, but there was no change in the "flat no dial tone sound" between numbers or when done dialing the complete phone number. Needless to say, the phone call did not connect.

I also disconnected the phone from everything (surge protector, wall, phone lines, transformer), just to see if I was hearing a real tone or just something similar to listening to a seashell.
When disconnected to everything, the sound persisted for a second or two and then tapered off into nothing/silence.

---

Given the intermittent dial tone/no dial tone problem started with the connection with the transformer to the surge protector, I tried the initial set-up (as seen in the first plug-in photo) in a different surge protector.

Results?

The good:
-Consistent dial tone (so far).
-Phone makes and receives calls.
-Good voice quality (talking and listening).
-The light works in dial and night light mode (see photos below).

The Bad:
-The ringer still vibrates/buzzes, more than rings...
(See videos below)

Conclusion:
Seems I may have had a bad surge protector, but I'll keep an eye on the dial tone issue, just in case there is something else going on...
And, I am still left with an unresolved ringer issue.

---

Photos and Videos:
Night Light Working!

Dial Light Working!

Video of ring set to "soft." [April 2015 EDIT: Video location changed from Google Drive to YouTube.]
Click gif to see video and hear ringer sounds.

Video of ring set to "loud." [April 2015 EDIT: Video location changed from Google Drive to YouTube.]

Ringer Photos:
Overview: M1A Ringer as seen from above.

Ringer at "soft" setting.

Ringer at "loud" setting.

Ringer wires as seen from (removed) lamp base.
Left to Right: Black, Gray or Slate, Red, Red and Slate.

Ringer wiring:
Red --> 4010 B Network --> K
Black --> 4010 B Network --> G

---

Thoughts on what may be causing the ringer to ring, but not sound right?

Think it may have anything to do with the repair I did to the 505A plug / copper socket-type terminal assemblies?
The GN assembly (with the Green and Yellow spade tips connected to it) was the most crimped of the four...

Would it be worth trying switching the copper assemblies around to see if that helps? (Is this a connection issue?)

Or, is this issue caused by something else?

Take care,
GLadstone

12-22-2016 Edit:

12-27-2016 Edit:

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

An update about the ringer:
I haven't been able to find a "quick fix."
And, it still sounds as odd as it does in the videos recorded on Day Two:

Re-posted for ease of reference:
Video of ring set to "soft." [April 2015 EDIT: Video location changed from Google Drive to YouTube.]

Video of ring set to "loud." [April 2015 EDIT: Video location changed from Google Drive to YouTube.]

Anyone know what causes these sounds or how to fix it?

I can't see that that anything is getting in the way of the ringer "hammer" (correct vocabulary?), but I don't know why the ring doesn't sound anything like a bell/gong...

Overview of phone with dial removed:

---

Re-cleaning the metal contact points with card-stock paper made no difference.

Neither did moving the socket type terminal assemblies (the copper "H" looking parts of the 505A plug) from BK to GN (as the GN was the most crimped of the group).

When searching for "princess, ring" on the forum, a lot of responses suggested moving the black ringer wire from G to L1 on the network if they had a modular set (in addition to connecting the green and yellow line cord wires).
Examples:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7519.msg83554#msg83554
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7408.0
Since mine is a 505A four prong plug adapted to a modular plug, I thought I would try it-- it made no difference.
I have since switched the black ringer wire back to G.

---

Here are a couple more photos of the ringer:
More photos in Plug-In Day Two Post here.

M1A ringer wire connection points seen from (removed) dial.
Left (Top to Bottom):
-Gray or Slate
-Black
Right (Top to Bottom):
-Red and Slate
-Red

Ringer wiring:
Red --> 4010 B Network --> K
Black --> 4010 B Network --> G

Ringer in high bias position

Here is a related document in TCI Library about M1A ringers:
C18.048 I1 Oct62 - M1A N1A Ringer - Identification Maintenance Ocr R

---

What are your suggestions to try to get this ringer to sound normal?

All thoughts, comments, and suggestions are welcome!

Take care,
GLadstone

---

Moderators:
Please let me know if you would like me to separate this topic into another new topic as this seems to be moving away from transformers and 505A plugs and moving into ringers (although the solution may still be related...)
Thank you.

---

12-22-2016 Edit:

12-27-2016 Edit:

poplar1

Try loosening the gong, then turning it. The hole is off center, so when you turn the gong, it will increase or decrease the distance between the clapper and the gong.

The biasing spring has 2 notches; you might try the other notch.

2.04 The 61A gong is eccentric. Clearance between
gong and clapper shall be 0.010 to
0.020 inch. Resonator is built-in and needs no
adjusting.
2.05 Bias spring is factory set in the high notch.
It can be repositioned, as required, to either high
or low notch with long-nose pliers.

BSP C18.048 issue 1, Oct. 1962

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I last updated.

Here is the latest:
I converted my notes website into something publicly viewable so it would be easier to share videos.

Here is the link to the home page:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/

Notes about the website/videos:
[April 2015 Edit (for clarity and because of website re-organization due to video transfer from Google Drive to YouTube):
-I've included the entire phone project up to this point on the website for easy reference.
-It may be easier to view the videos on the website as I've organized them into separate webpages for easier comparison (since the forum does not allow YouTube / video embedding).
-The website also includes links back to this forum/related posts as well as other related BSPs, etc.
-Website is optimized for desktop/laptop and mobile phone/small screen viewing (that is, everyone should be able to view the website no matter how you access the internet).
End Edit.]

Where I am now:
I've rotated the gong, moved the bias spring between the high tension and low tension positions, and made some adjustments to the clapper itself (which may or may not be recommended).

While the clapper to gong distance has improved, it is still not within the recommended 0.020 inch parameter (as measured by a feeler gauge).
Currently the phone's ringer does sound better than when it started, but is still not "normal."

For a quick look at what I've done, check these out:
-Ringer Repair Videos Page:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/702b/m1a/vid
Includes links to all video pages and an abridged version of the repairs I've made with links to the full descriptions on the M1A Ringer page.

-Before Adjustments Video Page:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/702b/m1a/vid/before
So you can see and hear the before state of the phone

-After Third Adjustment Video Page:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/702b/m1a/vid/after3
So you can see and hear the current state of the phone

-After Third Adjustment Repair Section:
https://sites.google.com/site/gladstonesphoneexchange/702b/m1a#TOC-After-Third-Adjustment:
Includes photos of before and after clapper to gong distance.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and/or tips to see how I should proceed with the next step.

Take care,
GLadstone

GLadstone

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in-- lots of topic reads, but no replies...

Is there a problem viewing the website / videos?

[April 2015 Edit:
Links removed as they pointed to videos on Google Drive, which I later found out people could not see.
Videos moved to YouTube. See reply #17 below for new links.]

Just in case, some alternative links to the videos:

Before Adjustment Videos:
Inside Phone
Removed Google Drive video link
and
Phone Ringing

After Third Adjustment Videos:

I'd love some feedback about where I am in the repair process and how to proceed to the next step.

Your thoughts, suggestions, and/or tips are appreciated.

Take care,
GLadstone

jsowers

I can't view videos and don't own a cell phone, so pardon me if you've already tried this... but have you tried simply bending the clapper more toward the bell? It's fairly easy to bend. Then you can rotate and tighten the bell to get it so there's a small gap between clapper and bell. When you manually push the clapper away from the bell and release, it should spring back and ding.

If the above doesn't help, I'd try buying another Princess or two for parts. Sometimes you see just a chassis for sale or a phone with broken plastics. Those Princess ringers were not as robust as the C4A ringer on the 500 set, and they get a little finicky when they get old and well used.
Jonathan

GLadstone

Quote from: jsowers on March 10, 2015, 07:18:49 PM
I can't view videos and don't own a cell phone, so pardon me if you've already tried this... but have you tried simply bending the clapper more toward the bell? It's fairly easy to bend. Then you can rotate and tighten the bell to get it so there's a small gap between clapper and bell. When you manually push the clapper away from the bell and release, it should spring back and ding.

If the above doesn't help, I'd try buying another Princess or two for parts. Sometimes you see just a chassis for sale or a phone with broken plastics. Those Princess ringers were not as robust as the C4A ringer on the 500 set, and they get a little finicky when they get old and well used.

Hi jsowers,

Thank you for the suggestion about bending the clapper arm itself-- that is one thing I had not tried yet.
I'll take another look at the phone and see if I want to try bending this arm or buy a spare part.
I will update with the progress and/or results...

Thank you for also letting me know about the videos.
Further investigation reveals that Google Drive uses the Adobe Flash Player, which may be part of the issue.
I know YouTube allows the HTML5 Player, but also requires the creation of a channel and Google+ account-- kind of overkill for a few phone videos...

To update the forum post for future reference:
If anyone has any suggestions for a better place to host the videos that meet the following criteria, let me know:
-long term storage (don't get deleted after a certain amount of time or number of views)
-no bandwidth issues
-free
-other?

Take care,
GLadstone

jsowers

Sorry, I wasn't more specific about the videos. Lack of bandwidth is my problem--nothing to do with Google. Photobucket might be worth investigating. It offers 2GB free storage for videos. Here's a whole list of sites...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_hosting_services

I hope you get the ringer fixed.
Jonathan