"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1955 Ivory 302—A rare breed: 302GR-50

Started by unbeldi, March 28, 2015, 10:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on March 29, 2015, 07:13:53 PM
All this brings up and interesting broader topic about the spectrum of WECo ivory colors. We had some discussions about the ivory color used by WECo over the years.

Since I hinted at a broader view of WECo color decisions earlier, this has been continued in the discussion thread Ivory Western Electric

Here is a comparison between the color of this 1955 plastic housing (in the front of the picture) and a 1939 painted metal housing (rear). Both housings were surface cleaned (sanded/solvent cleaned) within hours of each other, and both are unpolished, which is best when comparing color. It minimizes reflections from the surroundings.

From this it appears that the ivory plastic color of the 500-series really represents a return to the ivory that was used for finishing the prewar metal 302s.  Both, the prewar ivory paint finishes as well as the ivory plastic of the 302s (Tenite Acetate), used the color code 4, despite a marked difference in saturation.  Yet, with the introduction of the colors for the 500-sets, a new ivory color code was created (50).

Front: 1955 plastic ivory-50. Rear: 1939 painted metal ivory-4.

unbeldi

Update 2017-06-14

Recently, in April, a similar set, this time a 304GR-50, sold for $180 on Ebay (by a forum member).

The set has the same characteristics as the set discussed here:
- The housing is made from ivory CAB (Tenite Butyrate) plastic, the same plastic as used for the 500-series telephones available in 1954.
- The color of the handset is slightly lighter than the plastic housing, and conforms more to the ivory (–4) of the Tenite Acetate 302 sets made starting in 1949 and the paint color of Continental 202s. However, the seller disclosed that it had been professionally repainted.  Presumably, although not stated, the paint was matched to its previous hue.
- The hookswitch plungers are solid, transparent plastic, rather then the hollow type in the standard series.
- The set was also assembled in 1955 from recycled parts paired with new parts.  The 101B induction coil is dated III 55.

The seller stated that the HS cord was a later collector replacement.

Jon Kolger

I sold one of these sets on ebay a couple of months ago that was dated 1-1-54, so I don't think that 1955 time frame is definitive.  Also, I have seen several of these sets that were fitted with a 4H dial with the stainless-steel fingerwheel.  I don't know if it was that way originally, but I have seen more than one.  As rare as these phones are, they don't seem to generate much interest on ebay.  Most collectors have no idea what they really are. 

unbeldi

Quote from: Jon Kolger on June 15, 2017, 05:49:11 PM
I sold one of these sets on ebay a couple of months ago that was dated 1-1-54, so I don't think that 1955 time frame is definitive.  Also, I have seen several of these sets that were fitted with a 4H dial with the stainless-steel fingerwheel.  I don't know if it was that way originally, but I have seen more than one.  As rare as these phones are, they don't seem to generate much interest on ebay.  Most collectors have no idea what they really are.
Yes, that is the set I referred to.  It has a 1955 induction coil.  They probably experimented with CAB molding in 1954, but I don't think any were issued until 1955.  Everyone I have seen, had parts of 1955.   In January 1954, they were still molding ivory–4 cellulose acetate 302s, until mid-year.  Also, WECo just started issuing 500 sets in color at that time.

unbeldi

For reference, another discussion is available regarding a green 304GR-51 example of these types of sets:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18350.0

unbeldi

Quote from: Jon Kolger on June 15, 2017, 05:49:11 PM

Quote from: unbeldi on June 15, 2017, 06:23:30 PM
Yes, that is the set I referred to.  It has a 1955 induction coil.  They probably experimented with CAB molding in 1954, but I don't think any were issued until 1955.  Everyone I have seen, had parts of 1955.   In January 1954, they were still molding ivory–4 cellulose acetate 302s, until mid-year.  Also, WECo just started issuing 500 sets in color at that time.

Returning to Jon's housing with a date stamp 1-1-54 once again, I have to come to the conclusion that the date stamp is simply wrong, that probably the operators did not update the year properly, or even the entire date.  The day is January 1.  Somehow I doubt that any telephones were manufactured on a holiday.  AFAIK, WECo did not produce on night shifts or on weekends.  Some BLR articles indicate, for example, that machines were moved between plants on weekends, starting Friday evenings, when Hawthorne was reconverted to civilian telephone production in ca. 1946.

January 1 was a Friday in 1954 and the next year it was a Saturday.  So, in both, 1954 and 1955, probably no phones were molded in production until Monday Jan 4, or 3, respectively.   Coincidently, my own ivory housing has the date stamp  1 3 55 3  in yellow ink, so it was made or at least stamped on Monday, January 3, 1955.  I believe the stamps were applied in the quality assurance stations upon inspection.

BSP C32.502 Issue 7 was published in April 1954 and makes no mention of specially colored 300-type sets, instead it refers to C30.011 for colored sets.  Then, the next Issue (8) of this BSP, adds special section about full-color sets (despite the fact that those were no longer issued), and another section for the CAB-plastic sets in two-tone colors.

The fact that the only documentation of the CAB-plastic 300-type sets in 500-type colors occurs in 1955, none in 1954, and not only by the central administration, but by operating companies in local BSP additions, seems to underline the conclusion from the dates of telephone parts that these were only issued in 1955.

But in any case,  we need more data collection from these sets, to get a complete picture.  This is difficult because of the rarity. They were likely only made for a few months, and despite the public demand for color telephones, people also wanted a modern looking set, the 500-type.  By Fall 1955, the Bell System had a new program to reuse old parts, the 5302.

==References==
* BSP C32.502 i7 5404; Telephone Sets — 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 309, 329 and D-173487 Types — Description and Use
* BSP C32.502 i8 5510; Telephone Sets — 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 309, and 329 Types — Description and Use
* BSP C30.011 i6 5312; Colored Station Sets
* BSP C30.011,  Appendix 1, Issue D,  4-29-55-S TPT&TCo; Colored Station Sets — Plant Administration

jsowers

Quote from: unbeldi on June 23, 2017, 12:07:42 PM
AFAIK, WECo did not produce on night shifts or on weekends.  Some BLR articles indicate, for example, that machines were moved between plants on weekends, starting Friday evenings, when Hawthorne was reconverted to civilian telephone production in ca. 1946.

I took a look through my most recent photos of housing date stamps and handset capsule dates and found some with Saturday dates, posted below FYI. Didn't find any with Sunday dates or major holidays. First pic: 11-30-57 on receiver capsule. Second pic: 11-30-57 on 554 housing. Third pic: 10-9-54 on red 500 housing.
Jonathan

unbeldi

Quote from: jsowers on June 23, 2017, 02:54:54 PM
I took a look through my most recent photos of housing date stamps and handset capsule dates and found some with Saturday dates, posted below FYI. Didn't find any with Sunday dates or major holidays. First pic: 11-30-57 on receiver capsule. Second pic: 11-30-57 on 554 housing. Third pic: 10-9-54 on red 500 housing.
Thanks.  I have only checked a very small selection of found date stamps against the calendar.  I just created a one-page calendar for 1946 to 1970 that only contains the Saturdays. Lookup tables are the quickest tool probably, but some people can tell the weekday of a date in a few seconds; still, a lookup table might be faster.

unbeldi

I think I finally may have checked most dates that I have for 500-type sets of the 1950 and 1960s, and found only three dates that fall on weekends, one transmitter and one receiver on different phones with a date of the same Saturday, 11 12 55.  The third one is a housing stamped 12 7 58, which was a Sunday.  Having a lookup table made this a lot quicker than previously.

poplar1

Picked up my first 302 in dash 50 ivory (or -50A two-tone ivory/black color?) Housing is dated 1955; plungers are solid (clear); model number is stamped on the base pan. Base dated 1946. 6D dial 1955.

Black handset does not appear to be original. H3AG handset cord is dated 53. Mounting cord had been updated to silver satin 1/4 modular.

Pictures later. EBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Model-302-Western-Electric-Bell-System-Cream-Desk-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-/172761118255
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David....this would have been factory with a Black F1 and a thermo Ivory Base? Different for sure....nice catch....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

The housing and solid plungers must have been factory made, since they were unlike the 1941-42 or the 1949-54 color 302s. However, I believe these sets must have been assembled at the Western Electric repair shops.

I was hoping to see an F4 handset, or 1955 refill date on the transmitter. Since that's not the case, I don't know what handset may have been installed in 1955: a black one --  as shown in the BSP for 2-tone -- or a painted one, as your -53 blood red '55, and all the others found so far.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Alex G. Bell

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on July 07, 2017, 07:39:56 PM
The housing and solid plungers must have been factory made, since they were unlike the 1941-42 or the 1949-54 color 302s. However, I believe these sets must have been assembled at the Western Electric repair shops.

I was hoping to see an F4 handset, or 1955 refill date on the transmitter. Since that's not the case, I don't know what handset may have been installed in 1955: a black one --  as shown in the BSP for 2-tone -- or a painted one, as your -53 blood red '55, and all the others found so far.
David...so this was one of the ivory softplatics that should have had an Ivory painted F1. It shouldn't be that hard to find a matching painted F1. Real nice find my friend....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on July 07, 2017, 08:06:09 PM
Why would you expect to see that?

Because it would have confirmed installation in 1955, most likely.  F4 handsets were not available before, and the BA-760726 handset was used instead for situations where the zoning required it.