"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Model 35

Started by wds, April 11, 2015, 10:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

Doug Rose

I always mesage the seller how to pack the phone they are sending me. More often than not, the directions are ignored or "I had my FILL IN TH E BLANK pack it.

I have received a phone in a Manila envelope (no sh*t...really) undamaged. Others had no packing at all or in a flimsy shoe box that arrives torn open. I have had a handset sticking outside of the box.  It is a sinking feeling when you pick up a box and hear parts inside that should not be parts!

Janet is a wonderful packer, although she thinks it is no great talent. I think it it!...Doug
Kidphone

wds

I agree, I also send packing instructions, but almost always the directions are ignored.  I also bought a phone from overseas, and it was shipped to me in an envelope - one of those tyvec envelopes.  No padding, no packing material.  Unbelievably, it arrived undamaged.  When I saw the bag I just about had a heart attack. 
Dave

Partyline4

A lot of people on eBay forget to actually put their items in boxes, measure and weigh, and then calculate postage. They usually base it all off the weight of the item. That is usually why you may get things in envelopes or flimsy, light packages.

I've bought phones that cost me $8 to have shipped, and the buyer ended up paying $20!

It happens that way sometimes

Shipping is getting crazy expensive....

Ktownphoneco

Something else to consider when selecting which method to use to ship a telephone, is Fedex Ground.       I rarely ship anything using the postal service.     My typical telephone shipping box is approximately 16" Long by 12" Wide by 12" high.     Shipping weight for say a 302, all packaged up and ready to go, is around 8 pounds.    I usually insure for around $150.00 Canadian dollars for that particular telephone.     Because the outer box dimensions are always slightly larger than the dimensions stamped on the box, I used 17" x 13" x 13" for the following calculations.
Partyline4, - I used your location as an example in calculating the shipping costs.     I don't know your personal zip code, so I used the zip code for your local Fire Dept. Offices in Durham, NC., which is zip - 27704.     
Canada Post - Xpress Post - U.S.A. - 4 Business Days - $74.68 Canadian Dollars  or  $61.87 USD
                     - Expedited Parcel - U.S.A. - 4 Business Days - $49.65 Canadian Dollars  or  $41.13 USD

Fedex Ground - 3 Business Days - $46.19 Canadian Dollars  or  $38.27 USD.

There are brokerage fees with Canada Post.        There are no brokerage fees with Fedex Ground shipments to the USA if the selling price is $199.00 USD or less.     Smaller packages such as say a dial, or something in that general size category, usually ships cheaper by post office rather than Fedex.       But for anything of any size, Fedex Ground is usually cheaper here in Canada.

That's my shipping trivia input for today.   Enjoy the day, and a happy Mother's Day to any mothers in C.R.P.F..

Jeff Lamb

Ktownphoneco

Sorry folks made a big mistake with my last post regarding shipping telephones by Post Office and Fedex Ground  ......

MEANT TO TYPE - THERE ARE "NO" BROKERAGE FEES WITH CANADA POST.           Connection between "brain" and "fingers "was out of service for a split second.

Sorry about that.

Jeff Lamb

wds

Here's a picture of the insides.  Notice the date on the condensors.  First time I've seen a date on a AE phone.
Dave

Greg G.

I didn't know about AE 35s.  I'm going to have to check all my AE 50s now to see what they actually are.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

AE34 (Desk) and AE35 (Wall) were both made from approximately 1935 to 1940. Might be 1934 to 1940 for the AE34. They were both replaced by the AE40 (desk) and AE50 (wall) in about 1940.

The 34/35 should have the older type 38 handset where as the 40/50 would have the newer type 41 handset.

The cases of both are "similar but different". The 34 is a bit wider than the 40, has a single plunger rather than two like the 40. The base mounting screws on the 34 are on each side of the base rather than front and back like the 40.

The case of the 35 is even more similar to the 50 with the main difference being the lack of side vents on the 35. The cover of the 35 isn't quite as deep as the cover on the 50. A 50 cover will mount on a 35 wall base. There is a slight difference in the cradle area between the 35 and 50, likely due to the different handset that would be used with each.

Inside things are quite differently arranged on both the 34 and 35 as compared to the 40 and 50. The older larger ringer is used in the 34/35. As already mentioned the ringer in the 35 is installed very different than in the 50. Same for the 34's ringer. It had a unique angled bracket mounted to the baseplate that lifted the back end of the ringer up over the coil as the old type ringer was too large to mount flat like in the 40.

That's what comes to mind at the moment.

Terry

Jack Ryan

When the AE 34 was superseded by the AE 40 the AE 34A3B was released as well. The AE 34A3B is basically an AE 34A3 with a modified cradle so that it will accept the Type 41 handset.

The AE 34A3B is the only telephone I have seen that uses the "spitcup" version of the Type 41 handset.

Jack

Greg G.

From checking my pictorial inventory on my computer, 2 out of the 3 "jukeboxes" I have are 50s.  I can't tell about one because a previous owner rigged a ringer that didn't belong, and I didn't take a picture of the case except for the back.  I'll have to retrieve it from where ever I stashed it, they are stored in various places about the house.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Brinybay on May 17, 2015, 02:32:06 AM
From checking my pictorial inventory on my computer, 2 out of the 3 "jukeboxes" I have are 50s.  I can't tell about one because a previous owner rigged a ringer that didn't belong, and I didn't take a picture of the case except for the back.  I'll have to retrieve it from where ever I stashed it, they are stored in various places about the house.

Is there a number on the back?

poplar1

Here are the backs of the 35 and 50:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on May 17, 2015, 04:23:21 AM
Here are the backs of the 35 and 50:

I'm guessing your 50 has the older, larger ringer in it.

Jack

poplar1

These phones are the same ones shown in Replies #12 and #13, and both have the "long" ringers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.