News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric N717CG

Started by Doug Rose, April 19, 2015, 12:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I connect DT to L1 and L2 and it rings LOUD! When I press the button on the side it answers the call. I cannot hear or transmit.

If I press the button I get faint DT for a second ...than loud DT for a second and then nothing. Is this wired properly or will this not work on todays systems as this was a magneto, but the ringer looks like it came from a 302. Coil is differnt.  It is very cool....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

You have to check the actual wiring of the set, it could be used in two or three different signaling environments.
It certainly won't work on a modern CB line unless modified.  IIRC it is very similar to a 307 telephone. It needs a battery for the transmitter.

I think we discussed somewhere here before.

unbeldi

Here are the diagrams for it:

Circuit Diagram:

Wiring Diagram:

The discussion was here in a long-winded way.

The wiring diagram from the catalog is hard to read to understand how this works, the circuit makes it much clearer.

Doug Rose

I  stripped the black off the wood, gongs, clapper cover, lock and the handset hook.  Why would you paint over nickel? Howards restorafinsh walnut. Ready for a beer.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

Doug   ....   I've restored a couple of these sets for people in the past.     Both individuals wanted to hook them up and use them on their private line home telephone service.    I swapped out the 104A induction coil, and replaced it with a 101A induction coil and wired the set the same as a 302 equipped for manual service.      I re-wired the ground ringing switch so that when the switch was in the normal position ( button released) the ringers were connected to the line, and operate on an incoming call.        When the ground ringing switch was depressed, the ringer was dis-connected from the line, and connected to the magneto, so that the ringer operation could be demonstrated.    Once the button was released, the ringers were again, dis-connected from the magneto and placed back into the incoming telephone line.

Jeff Lamb

Doug Rose

Thank Jeff....sound like I have a job ahead of me!! Weather is getting nice so it might be a Winter or Fall  project. I was very happy how it turned out cosmetically, really a nice phone....Doug
Kidphone