News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is your personal find of 2015?

Started by Matilo Telephones, December 31, 2015, 09:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamAnt316

By far, by best find of 2015 was an Ivory WE 305 which was given to me by a friend. I still have yet to thank him enough, though I'm trying!  ;D

I also picked up some interesting phones from Paul's collection, such as an OKI mini wall phone from Japan, and a "Grillo" phone from Italy.
-Adam

Greg G.

My best find, or rather my favorite find in 2015 is the 5302 I recently got.  It's a nice phone and I'm using it for my daily driver.  I have to say that the triangular shape of the F1 seems to be more conforming to the contours of your hand, albeit a little tricky to cradle between shoulder and head.

I had other finds I forgot about before I posted this, like the box of OPS, but the 5302 I like best.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15152.msg157416#msg157416
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DNO

My best find was my 1958 soft plastic Northern Electric 500 in red.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of soft plastic NE 500s around.

David

oldguy

This AE50 is my personal find of 2015. I had found 3 phones for $50 on Craigslist Sacramento CA. A WE 302 for $20, 1934 WE 202 for $15 (with out handset) & Avocado WE 554 for $15. After I looked at them I decided to buy them. I had always wanted a 202 but the prices were too high for my budget. I couldn't pass this one up. Then the lady said I have another phone you might be interested in & she showed me a beautifully restored AE50, she wanted $100. My wife was with me & she doesn't always support my hobby. My wife said (to my surprise) "If you want it you should buy it". I only had $60 on me ($50 was for the other 3 phones). Again (to my surprise) my wife handed me 5 $20 bills. I will have to admit, when my wife says I shouldn't buy something, when I look back on the situation she is usually right. By the way, the other surprise was when she let me buy another tractor!! As if one isn't enough. Another Craigslist find. A beautifully restored Ford 8N tractor for only $1500. Ya, that's why she limits me, I want to buy everything!
Gary

oldguy

I had trouble uploading some of my pics, here are the other 3 phones.
Gary

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: oldguy on January 19, 2016, 06:33:31 PM
By the way, the other surprise was when she let me buy another tractor!! As if one isn't enough. Another Craigslist find. A beautifully restored Ford 8N tractor for only $1500.
Hey, my dad has an 8N! It was restored about 20 years ago, long before I was born, so it doesn't look like a show tractor anymore, but it's a great tractor nonetheless; nothing can stop it!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

oldguy

Here is a picture of the tractor.
Gary

wds

I like the tractor.  I had my hands on an old Ford Golden Jubilee once, but I didn't hang on to it.  Wish I had though.   
Dave

NorthernElectric

Quote from: oldguy on January 19, 2016, 06:33:31 PMMy wife was with me & she doesn't always support my hobby. My wife said (to my surprise) "If you want it you should buy it". I only had $60 on me ($50 was for the other 3 phones). Again (to my surprise) my wife handed me 5 $20 bills.

She's a keeper!   ;D
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice! It looks like it was converted to 12 volt. My dad says that was a great price!

Do you just keep your tractors in storage, or do you use them? (Moderators; if this Tractor Talk goes anywhere else, maybe it's a good idea to transfer our discussion to Off-Topic?)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

I can't pick just one phone as my find of 2015.  I don't have any that are extremely rare, and though I may have got a few at a bit of a bargain (and paid too much for others), I wouldn't characterize any of the bargains as a 'steal'.  More importantly, I couldn't say that I have a hands-down favorite find for 2015; my favorite is often my most recently acquired or changes with my mood.

But, since I only joined this forum last year, I will say that classicrotaryphones.com is my find of 2015.  It's possible that I looked at stuff on here late in 2014 when my interest in vintage phones started (or was rekindled), but I think it was January or February of 2015 by the time I noticed that many of my search hits for info were to pages on this forum and I started to think about joining.
Cliff

oldguy

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry about the off topic subject but the Ford 8N was definitely my "personal find of 2015" & I thought some of you guys would appreciate it. Yes Christian I use the tractor regularly & it's converted to 12 volts. When I went through the paperwork that came with the tractor I found $1800 worth of receipts for parts for the restoration & he must have spent a ton of his time on the restoration. Back to phones, the AE50 (I didn't know much about older phones but it looked cool)  & the D1/202 (I had always wanted) both came at one time. Most of my phones were thrift store & yard sale finds from the 70s & 80s. Since I joined the forum I am learning about phones from you guy's, thanks for all the valuable information.

Gary

HarrySmith

I will have to wait to name mine. If the AE 35 sells for good money then I will have to say that was it. If not it is a tie between the 1950 500 I got at Maitland or the SC spacesaver I got recently.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

zaphod01

Mine was a 584DF ringer. Paid $161 plus shipping. Sold for $393. All I did was test it, put up a YouTube video, and relist it. It was sitting at $127 with 60 seconds left in the auction and I was resolved to the fact I was going to lose money. Then the snipping began!
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

TelePlay

After considering all of the phones that became attached to me last year, I've settled on this as my personal favorite. It's just a run of the mill 2500D but being a fan of James Garner and especially "The Rockford Files," I'm glad this one came my way. A very nice phone for $37 (documented with more photos here.