News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sometimes the Bear Bites you

Started by Doug Rose, January 08, 2016, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This beautiful original paint WE 302 came on eBay for a BIN for $25. I jumped on it. Thie pictures do not do this justice. Original paint looked great, BUT limited pictures.

This phone was sitting in water for a long time, the base is completely rusted and in places this beautiful paint is corroded completely through.

Anyone have any ideas? I hate to just throw it out.

Sometimes the bear bites you!....Doug
Kidphone

Buzby

Such a shame, Doug. It looks like the rats have been at it.

I don't know what you could do that doesn't involve filling and repainting, which takes away from the original reason you bought it.

unbeldi

By the pics, I don't believe that this is factory paint.
Looks to me like someone cleaned the corrosion superficially and repainted the whole housing. When there is as much metal bulk gone at the edges, the paint should not be black over it.
The paint spray pattern inside is not what I would expect from the factory either.

Buzby

For my eyes, it only looks like the corrosion has been repainted. There seems to be a distinct shade change between the blacks.

Doug Rose

Good eyes Jonathan......The corrosion on the base was painted by me with a sharpie paint stick. Trying to do anything to make it passable. When I received it was pure corrosion, grey white metal.

This housing has not been touched and to the best of my knowledge, it was an original paint poorly stored. It sat is water fro an extended period of time. It has hit the trash bin....Doug
Kidphone

Buzby

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 08, 2016, 08:58:44 PM
Good eyes Jonathan......The corrosion on the base was painted by me with a sharpie paint stick. Trying to do anything to make it passable. When I received it was pure corrosion, grey white metal.

I was going to say Sharpie!

Needless to say, you got flunked on what should be a passable test with honest photos. I'm discovering the perils of the Ebay photo too, as well as the bad packing fairy.

If it were me, (and speaking as a newbie here) I would use the body as a test bed for refinishing that you could do at home.

Quote from: Doug RoseThis housing has not been touched and to the best of my knowledge, it was an original paint poorly stored. It sat is water fro an extended period of time. It has hit the trash bin....Doug

The trash?! I would have taken it as a better replacement body for my hacked to bits plastic.

I hope you were able to salvage something from your $25 investment.

Dan/Panther

I'm not sure about the wrokability of the base metal the phone is made out of, BUT, would it be possible to somehow fill the missing area with silver solder or braise ? Then finish in down smooth with the rest of the body Then repaint. That would be undetectable as a repair as it would be metal not body filler.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 09, 2016, 02:07:32 PM
I'm not sure about the wrokability of the base metal the phone is made out of, BUT, would it be possible to somehow fill the missing area with silver solder or braise ? Then finish in down smooth with the rest of the body Then repaint. That would be undetectable as a repair as it would be metal not body filler.

D/P
I was too slow to respond before Doug deep-sixed the shell, but I was going to try JB Weld on it.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Still sitting safely on my work bench. I will take offers plus $10 shipping. From three feet it looks so darn good....PM me...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone