"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear Telephones (by Jim S. and others)

Started by Jim Stettler, December 29, 2009, 12:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Quote from: Duffy on September 21, 2020, 06:59:33 PM
The handset colour being different than that of the body did concern me. But when I looked at the picture of my clear one off the red clear AE 80 it's not yellowed. I think that the handsets are made with a different plastic.

I also attached a picture of the AE clear handset and Ray Kotke's.
Ray's is the bottom one.

Duffy and all;

JUST prior to leaving for Mexico in February, I finished the tooling to create the caps for the AE 80/90 handset (don't know the part # of that handset), but haven't even had the time to cast anything with them yet. Additionally, I can cast in any shade, so yes, I can duplicate that "aged/yellowed" look of the older plastics. As for that 2500-series example that you showed, it looks like it was cast quite some time ago, and has simply aged.

On another note, was there ever a CLEAR AE90 known?  I've never seen one.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Quote from: kleenax on October 02, 2020, 09:03:45 AM
Duffy and all;

I have never seen one either Ray. But trust me if I ever find one, I'll post it right here for all to see.  :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: kleenax on October 02, 2020, 09:03:45 AM
Duffy and all;

I always assume they made  at least 1 example every phone in clear. there are a lot of clear ae80's and 80e, so I think they probably made a 90 in clear. Clear wall phones are a lot harder to find than clear desk phones.

I have never seen or heard of a clear ae 90 (yet). they must be scarcer than the dark blue ae90's. I think there are 3 dark blue 90's  in collections.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

kleenax

Quote from: Jim Stettler on October 02, 2020, 05:40:39 PM
I always assume they made  at least 1 example every phone in clear. there are a lot of clear ae80's and 80e, so I think they probably made a 90 in clear. Clear wall phones are a lot harder to find than clear desk phones.

I have never seen or heard of a clear ae 90 (yet). they must be scarcer than the dark blue ae90's. I think there are 3 dark blue 90's  in collections.
Jim

Gene Doom and I found a Dark Blue AE90 In-the-box at Paul Vaverchak's one day about 20 years ago. Paul said it was "really rare" so he charged Gene $50 for it! ;-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Jim Stettler

Quote from: kleenax on October 02, 2020, 06:40:09 PM
Gene Doom and I found a Dark Blue AE90 In-the-box at Paul Vaverchak's one day about 20 years ago. Paul said it was "really rare" so he charged Gene $50 for it! ;-)

wow,
a new in box, dark blue ae 90 would probably bring 2-3K on a good eBay auction these days
a  faded restorable set would bring over 1K as a guess.
Just  guesses,
Jim
You live, You learn,

HarrySmith

Quote from: kleenax on October 02, 2020, 06:40:09 PM

Inquiring minds want to know, where is it now?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Saw a dark blue  type 90 set in Charlotte NC at a telephone refurbisher. Phoneco bought the inventory.

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 02, 2020, 07:18:47 PM
Inquiring minds want to know, where is it now?

Sold at a phone show for $300 dollars in 2009.
Maybe a member here owns it as per this thread:

Reply #13:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?&topic=22038

Photo link, page 2.
https://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?op=list&folder=22&sort=date&start=851
(If breaking a rule by posting the screenshot of the phone, below, would a mod please remove).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: Jim Stettler on September 24, 2020, 06:17:34 PM
I saw the crack and the screw.
the crack is probably internal, Clear shows abuse much easier than color sets.
the screw looks like a replacement to me, the finish appears wrong, possibly the wrong size,  the original  base screws are hard to lose,
  I wonder if the phone was 'created' with clear plastics and a spare red phone, that was missing a base screw.

The fellow finally sent the extra pictures of the 2500 and the AE 80. I'll post the 2500 first than the AE 80.

The 2500 is a 1980 ITT

This AE 80 was used as a store display. There is a hole though the body into the bottom of the handset that was used for fastening the handset so it couldn't be removed.

kleenax

Quote from: FABphones on October 03, 2020, 04:18:09 AM
Sold at a phone show for $300 dollars in 2009.
Maybe a member here owns it as per this thread:

Reply #13:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?&topic=22038

Photo link, page 2.
https://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?op=list&folder=22&sort=date&start=851
(If breaking a rule by posting the screenshot of the phone, below, would a mod please remove).

This was the phone that Gene Doom sold at Lancaster(?) in 2009.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on November 14, 2020, 11:27:12 AM
Who made the ATM phones?

Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Company

Automatic Telephone & Electric

(England)

https://www.britishtelephones.com/histatm.htm

https://www.britishtelephones.com/atm/l11566.htm
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Gary Z

I will throw my clear ones into the pile. On the left is a WE 500DM that I just found this week that was listed for the large sum of $25.00. On the right is a Stromberg- Carlson 500D from the son of a retired Stromberg employee that was his desk phone when he worked there.

Gary Z