"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear Telephones (by Jim S. and others)

Started by Jim Stettler, December 29, 2009, 12:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Great Find.
That is a really  cool housing. It is branded  which I always feel is a bonus on a clear or swirl set.  IMHO  An obscure branding is always funner/cooler  than a common one .

You should list it in the FOTM contest.

In the January 1943 Bell Laboratories Record page 120, there is a photo of a clear and white swirl 302 housing.
This housing was created to study flow patterns of the plastic.

I was able to take a photo of the the photo and caption. I need to download it at work and send it to myself before I can post it here.
The photo looks more like a black and white swirl than clear and white swirl to me.

Jim

(side note) long ago I heard of an old rose/White swirl 302 that was in a collection on the east coast.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

From the looks of that AE 80 housing it appears it was made to show the flow of the plastic in the mold also. The "swirl" defines the flow lines pretty well. Very Cool set!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: Jim Stettler on January 29, 2020, 05:54:32 PM
That is a really  cool housing. It is branded  which I always feel is a bonus on a clear or swirl set.  IMHO  An obscure branding is always funner/cooler  than a common one .

In the January 1943 Bell Laboratories Record page 120, there is a photo of a clear and white swirl 302 housing.
This housing was created to study flow patterns of the plastic.

I was able to take a photo of the the photo and caption. I need to download it at work and send it to myself before I can post it here.
The photo looks more like a black and white swirl than clear and white swirl to me.

Jim

(side note) long ago I heard of an old rose/White swirl 302 that was in a collection on the east coast.

Terry Biddlecombe  passed on this information to me about this body.  AEL Automatic Electric Ltd. reorganization in the 80's moved AE Canada under BCTel, GTEs largest single operating company. They rebranded AE as AEL Microtel. Soon after there was a challenge by someone to the AEL part of the name so they simply dropped that and continued with just Microtel. But, there are large numbers of phones out there branded AEL Microtel!

That would be interesting to see that article on the clear / white swirl 302 housing and see a picture of that rose/White swirl 302 phone.

My donor phone came in for the opaque AE80. I swapped out what needed to be. It's now displayed with my other clears.
>edit to add photo link from this thread of  earlier clear AE80's <
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1928.msg211984#msg211984

Doug Rose

Doug...that came out fantastic!  Really nice job...other Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

That really did come out nice. A really interesting look.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a photo of the clear/white 302 housing photo and caption.
There isn't an article regarding this housing, only the caption.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told about the old rose/white swirl 302 over 25 years ago. I never saw the phone or even a photo.

JIm
You live, You learn,

Thanks Jim

I modified your picture to make it easier to read.
After reading it. I believe that this is why this AE80 body was made. Possibly making it an engineering sample.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Duffy on January 30, 2020, 06:17:29 PM
Thanks Jim

I modified your picture to make it easier to read.
After reading it. I believe that this is why this AE80 body was made. Possibly making it an engineering sample.

Thanks for dealing with the photo. I think your set is called an AE80E. This is the later set.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree that a flow test seems to be a reasonable answer to why this got made. Someone liked it enough to keep it from the landfill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting side note: Most of my clear AE telephones  are beige cores.

Jim
You live, You learn,

paul-f

Here's a better version of the image from Bell Labs Record ...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

The description calls it a "subset". It is clearly a 302 body. Is the desription wrong or is it the wrong picture?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 31, 2020, 06:47:15 AM
The description calls it a "subset". It is clearly a 302 body. Is the desription wrong or is it the wrong picture?

Harry the description is correct, they called the body a "subset housing"

HarrySmith

AAHH - that is nomenclature I was not aware of. I thought it was called a telephone. Thanks for clearing that up! What did they call a subset back then?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 31, 2020, 07:40:44 AM
AAHH - that is nomenclature I was not aware of. I thought it was called a telephone. Thanks for clearing that up! What did they call a subset back then?

A subset was called a subset that used a housing called a subset housing to cover it. LOL   :)
Calling it a telephone, that would be another story.....

kleenax

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Quote from: kleenax on January 31, 2020, 07:32:49 PM
This is what happens when you take it to the extreme! Only did this once.

Wow Ray, that is one awesome piece!