"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Millennium Payphone

Started by Troy K, February 11, 2017, 03:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy K

Hi everyone,

I recently got my hands on a Millennium payphone after hearing of a project that aims to recreate the Millennium Manager. The phone is in good shape and has the locks removed, so I just need a T key to open it. Powers up okay and everything, however I'm not sure of the access code to get into the install menu. These phones have a default code, however it doesn't work on mine.

I'm thinking the phone may still have its previous configuration, and was wondering if there was a way to reset it back to default settings. Perhaps the configuration is stored in memory that has battery back up?

Troy K

Managed to get it figured out after I read the manual!

AE_Collector

Give us details for anyone in the future trying to figure it out!

Terry

andre_janew

You got a manual?  Most phones don't come with an instruction manual!  (well, unless new, of course!)

Troy K

There's a manual for these phones floating around on the web, I downloaded it to save it just in case it disappears.

For anyone that happens to get their hands on one of these, and the default access code doesn't work (2727378), it's likely that the phone still has its previous configuration somewhere in memory. After pretty much going through the manual front to back, I found a section that explains what to do if the keypad buttons don't work. Basically, you'll want to open the phone with the T key, you'll see a message on the display like so:

*   ALARM SENT    *
*   COVER OPEN   *

At that point you'll want to enter a PIN followed by the * key. In my case 55555 worked. You'll then see a message like this:

CDR UPLOAD?
*=YES, #=NO

Press the # key, after that it'll prompt you to "dial an item number" or press # to install the terminal.

After I did that I was able to enter the default access code. :)

Is it okay if I provide a link to where I found the manual?

Troy K

Here's the link to the manual, note that the download is a little dodgy and it could take some time to fully download. I recommend to save it on your computer somewhere so you always have quick access to it if needed: http://payphone411.com/proteldocuments/nortel_millennium.pdf

The page in question that helped me diagnose this issue was 154.

Payphone411

Quote from: Troy K on February 13, 2017, 12:24:04 AM
Here's the link to the manual, note that the download is a little dodgy and it could take some time to fully download. I recommend to save it on your computer somewhere so you always have quick access to it if needed: http://payphone411.com/proteldocuments/nortel_millennium.pdf

The page in question that helped me diagnose this issue was 154.

Hey thats my website. I am glade that people find it use full. I have a ton more documentation for a wide range of stuff I still need to get up.
I host with Godaddy so sorry about the download speed. It was a lot worse until I upgraded to the middle of the road service.

MADhouseTelephone

For those who have Millenniums without locks:
Sometimes there is a micro switch on the circuit board behind the coin box that detects whether the lock is locked. There is also a micro switch that detects if a coin box with cover is installed.
If your phone goes to "Out of Service" with the demo chip installed, check this switch. You might have to tie the switch in the activated position to make the phone think it is locked.
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

MADhouseTelephone

Here is a link to a German site with downloadable Millennium information.
https://wiki.muc.ccc.de/millennium:documentation#millennium_manager
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

bobv

Quote from: MADhouseTelephone on July 14, 2018, 07:19:47 PM
For those who have Millenniums without locks:
Sometimes there is a micro switch on the circuit board behind the coin box that detects whether the lock is locked. There is also a micro switch that detects if a coin box with cover is installed.
If your phone goes to "Out of Service" with the demo chip installed, check this switch. You might have to tie the switch in the activated position to make the phone think it is locked.

Or, you can cut the wire, and connect the Black, Green, Yellow wires together. remove the red wire.