News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first 2019 purchase, a Siemens 366

Started by Butch Harlow, January 09, 2019, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

I was thrilled this morning when this beautiful Siemens 366 arrived. I couldn't wait to rush back to my shop and hear it ring. It's a great start to the year and a great welcome to the GPO club. Thanks to Doug Rose for the deal. The little blue piece of tape is holding the unnecessary resistor in the case so I don't lose it.
Butch Harlow

Quote from: Butch Harlow on January 09, 2019, 01:17:46 PM
I was thrilled this morning when this beautiful Siemens 366 arrived. I couldn't wait to rush back to my shop and hear it ring. It's a great start to the year and a great welcome to the GPO club. Thanks to Doug Rose for the deal. The little blue piece of tape is holding the unnecessary resistor in the case so I don't lose it.

Yes Butch, Welcome to GPO Club. I'm starting to take a liking to the Brit phones myself.  :)

tubaman

Quote from: Butch Harlow on January 09, 2019, 01:17:46 PM

Nice 366 Butch!
Is that a Canadian version as the UK didn't use dials with the letter Z (or that style of transmitter cap as far as I know)?
I think you'll get to like GPO type phones as the built quality is (in my opinion) really nice and they are generally easy to fix and work on.
Of course, being from the UK I could possibly be ever so slightly biased. ::)

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: tubaman on January 10, 2019, 04:02:10 AM
Nice 366 Butch!
Is that a Canadian version as the UK didn't use dials with the letter Z (or that style of transmitter cap as far as I know)?
I think you'll get to like GPO type phones as the built quality is (in my opinion) really nice and they are generally easy to fix and work on.
Of course, being from the UK I could possibly be ever so slightly biased. ::)

British GPO phones were apparently used in some of the prairie provinces.  Note that the ones used in Canada have North American lettering on the dial with "MNO" on the '6'.  The British and French dials have only "MN" on the '6'.

Larry

rdelius

I do not think the GPO ever used that Seimons Bros model telephone. I would not mix the terms that British telephones are GPO. Only the ones used by and marked are .I have seen some ex GPO sets that were exported to Turkey -150 sets. did any ex GPO sets get exported to Canada?

tubaman

Quote from: rdelius on January 10, 2019, 09:50:05 AM
I do not think the GPO ever used that Seimons Bros model telephone.....

That's quite true (hence why I referred to 'GPO type phones' in my reply), but Siemens Bros were also building for the GPO at the time using a lot of the same parts.
It is built to the same standards as a GPO phone.
:)

Butch Harlow

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 10, 2019, 06:58:20 AM
British GPO phones were apparently used in some of the prairie provinces.  Note that the ones used in Canada have North American lettering on the dial with "MNO" on the '6'.  The British and French dials have only "MN" on the '6'.

Larry

I would assume this phone, based on all the information available, is a Canadian set. That and that it was already in North America when I got it. That might also explain how oldphoneshop has so many of them. (The blue painted set is beautiful) I do not find any GPO markings on it. I just assumed it was because it was a British built phone and Canada is part of that. But, we all know what happens when you assume. Thanks for all the information. It is a wonderfully built phone. I am going to enjoy having it.
Butch Harlow