"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Scruffy WE 302 (401)

Started by FABphones, August 12, 2019, 04:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Quote from: Babybearjs on September 16, 2019, 12:56:36 PM
you know, personally, I would have taken the dial, switch hook assembly and other parts and transferred them into a 302A unit to upgrade it... once the shell is compromised, that's pretty much all you can do in a restoration project.

As it's a metal body that will (I assume) be repainted I would have thought the hole could be filled - glass fibre perhaps - and an invisible repair made.
:)

FABphones

Quote from: Babybearjs on September 16, 2019, 12:56:36 PM
...I would have taken the dial, switch hook assembly and other parts and transferred them into a 302A unit to upgrade it... once the shell is compromised, that's pretty much all you can do in a restoration project.

Restoration is my area, but I may well end up doing that if my 'cunning plan' doesn't work out.   ;)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

It may be just me but I could live with worse signs of former use on that phone...

I guess I would only clean it up, maybe polish what remains from the original, revise it technically and declare it good. I like objects with authentic wear on them.

Babybearjs

good luck with your restoration. be sure to look at www.oldphoneworks.com for parts. when it comes to the 302's, there are so many out there that its easy to restore them. I'd take that 401 and put the parts in a thermoplastic shell and then put the plastic shell on the phone in place of the metal one. Pot metals are a bugger to restore unless you know how. replacing the shell is just easier and quicker. that's what I love about the 300 series phones... they are all interchangeable!
John

Doug Rose

It is not an easy phone to find. If the switch is a ringer cut off, keep it as such. I have been collecting telephones for 40 years and never held one. It's been that way along time, keep it and enjoy it. Clean it up and make it shine. It's a nice find...Doug
Kidphone

andre_janew

Keep that AE handset with  it for now.  There may have been phones similar to it in use during  WW2.

tubaman

Having thought more on this I think Doug is right about the switch. This is clearly a rare phone so perhaps making it presentable with the minimum interference is the best way to go.
:)

compubit

Looking at that switch, it's probably been there for a long time. I personally would leave it there, especially since it's not readily visible from the front...

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

oldguy

If you don't want to leave the switch most hardware stores carry plastic & metal plugs fore holes. Since the hole is in the back it will stil display well & will be hardly noticeable.
Gary

FABphones

Thanks all for the input.  :)

I've given this a bit of a rethink, first task will be to find an F1 handset for it. It will take a bit of time as am outside the US, but will update with any news.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

My prototype/field trial "302" had a ringer cut-off switch installed the same way .Found a metal plug to  fit. Similar to the plastic ones shown

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on September 22, 2019, 09:16:32 AM
My prototype/field trial "302" had a ringer cut-off switch installed the same way .Found a metal plug to  fit. Similar to the plastic ones shown
If yours had a ringer cut off and it was a prototype, wouldn't you just leave it. Even if it does't work, it's much better than a "plug." It's the phones history

I would put an F1 on it, shine it up and place it on a shelf, or use it for a daily driver. It's too cool to mess with....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

For what it's worth, I'd clean it up and leave the switch. Part of the phone at this point!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

LarryInMichigan

I personally, would lose the switch.  It looks to be a number of years newer than the phone and was almost certainly installed by someone who didn't want to be disturbed by the ringer.  If the phone is going to be repainted anyway, the hole can be filled with the type of patching putty used on car bodies.  A small piece of something can be glued over the hole on the inside to provide a solid backing for the patch. 

Larry

rdelius

My prototype set was modified.The hole was through the WE sticker inside and the wires were not the same as factory