News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 688 subset

Started by bingster, October 22, 2008, 10:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

A brand new, in the box, WE 688 subset arrived in the mail today.  It's dated 7-78, and it has a network I've neve seen before.  Of course I've also never seen inside a phone that new, either.  Given the late date, and extra circuit board and... capacitor? filter?  I suspect this was destined for pay phone service.  But with those items disconnected, it should make a fine subset for any pre-302 telephone, just as the similar 685 is often used.

I expect no troubles from the network, but I'm a little floored by how cheaply made it seems to be.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Ah yeh, the late phones got cheaper and cheaper.  That's a 4228 network, which is in my 1984 model 500 as well as my 1984 Princess, there is not much to it but it's more than the even cheaper circuit board networks of the late Strombergs and Kellogs.  I have quite a few of the late 70's and early to mid 80's Western Electric phones, and parts in them are certainly thinner and cheaper than the older stuff.  Of course they are still built like tanks compared to the uber cheap cordless phones of today.

Dan/Panther

This is exactly what I need for my candlestick, and my Kellogg Grabaphone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

I want to mouint it inside another Ringer box I have that matches the Grabaphones, and have a latched front door to open, so I can dial out with the grabaphone.
Does it seem this will foot the bill for my purpose ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson