"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dunyach & Leclert, Type 24.

Started by FABphones, October 03, 2019, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 05, 2019, 07:25:25 AM
....can you take a photo of these side by side so I can see the differences. Are the differences subtle, because the PTT 24 and the Type 24 look the same to me. I could use a stare and compare....

Side by side photos below showing columns and dial mounts.
Type 24 on left, PTT 24 on right.

Note also the angle difference on the dials.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 04, 2019, 09:37:33 PM
Does the original phone have a DC receiver?

Jack

Photo below.
Does this tell you what you are looking for?

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 03, 2019, 08:24:46 PM
That's a nice find - well done!

.......is there any indication of a date?....

Jack

My date range guesstimate taken via the cradle shape appears to be correct. Very small markings on the handset confirm 1944.
Zoomed in view on photo below.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on October 07, 2019, 08:33:40 AM
Does this tell you what you are looking for?

Yes it does - it is not a DC receiver (the receiver has a permanent magnet).

I think it was about 1934 (I should look it up but I'm going to bed instead) that the receiver changed from DC to the conventional permanent magnet type.

Thanks for that.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on October 07, 2019, 08:23:19 AM

That is for this particular Type 24 - others are different.

Jack

countryman

They were made over a long time and in countless varations.
When the receiver was changed to the normal style with permanent magnet, the circuit layout must have changed as well?
The old DC receivers were pre-magnetized by the line current going through them.

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on October 07, 2019, 08:23:19 AM

thanks CJ....now I get it. Very nice indeed!.....Doug
Kidphone

loblolly986

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 04, 2019, 07:23:57 AM
Nobody copied anything. The PTT24 and its handset were developed by LMT with (I suspect considerable) support from Bell/Western Electric in the US. LMT was the French Western Electric research facility.

The PTT had asked for proposals for a standard telephone and LMT wanted to be the designer and supplier of that telephone. I think Bell/WE in the US helped LMT achieve that.

Having achieved that, Bell/WE made 400 of the same handsets and used them for testing in the US. The first thing Bell/WE dropped was the French DC receiver. Then it made some transmitter changes as it iterated towards the E handset.

It was 1927 by the tine the E handset was released - over 30 years since Ericsson introduced handsets in Europe. The problem Bell had was getting a transmitter to work efficiently over long distances. I don't think the Bullet transmitter lived up to expectations as it was replaced relatively soon after it was introduced. Kellogg eventually solved the positional transmitter issue and Bell (and others) paid Kellogg for the use of the technology.

Jack

Thanks for the insight, Jack. I wasn't aware of the Bell/W.E. involvement in the development of these. I had looked at an interesting excerpt from a Bell history book regarding early Bell System handsets, posted here, but had forgotten the context you mention regarding long-distance transmission that allowed European systems but not the Bell System to adopt handsets for general use earlier.

Etienne

Quote from: tubaman on October 04, 2019, 09:03:27 AM
Doug,

"Marche Du" on your phones is not showing the manufacturer but the production run date. That is "Run of 25-2-1942 Lot No. 53" in the case of your base. At least that is what I believe it means.

This reply is quite old now, but "Marché du" means: Public procurement. It gives a clue about the date, but not the production date. I have a PTT 1924, Marché du 15 Août 1928, which was produced only 2 years later. On the PTT 1924, the production date is stamped on the aluminium label near to the brass manufacturer's label on the phone's base. Stamped with "LT" ("Lignes téléphoniques", the PTT agreed for this phone to be plugged to its network) and a number ("30" for instance). If you are lucky there is also the month before the year (number, too).