News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting a Phone Booth out of My Basement

Started by howdy_doody, May 06, 2020, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howdy_doody

I just bought a home and found it has a 1940's era wood phone booth in the basement.  It's big and heavy and I really don't care to have it down there.  I though perhaps I could disassemble it, however, I don't see any visible fasteners! The very top is pushed up into the ceiling, is that where they will be?  There are just a few small screws visible inside, they appear to be holding on the metal trim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hope someone spots this on the forum and could lend some help.

PS  I'm located in the St. Louis area if anyone would care to come by!

FABphones

Could you add a few photos to this thread.
It will help us recognise the phone for removal.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

~

She's right, there are some of the most knowledgeable telephone people in the world here, one in particular that may be able to help you. He will want pictures of your situation in order to help, I'd like to see it too!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

There is probably someone nearby that would be happy to remove it for you and take it away.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

howdy_doody

Here we go, might have some muscle this weekend to get it out. What's this thing worth?

Doug Rose

Phone is a repro, booth is in excellent condition. You might want to reconsider!

If you want to sell it, put an ad on CL.....it is a beauty....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

Be careful with it, it is worth several hundred dollars. Asking prices can range from a low of $500.00 to $800.00 or more without a phone. What they actually get, I'm not sure.

Please don't hurt it.....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Most sellers think they have a gold mine and start out pricing in the thousands. After not selling for some time they usually go for a few hundred at most. Yours is in extremely good condition so I would agree with Pourme $5-800.
Again, please be very careful with it, it deserves to be saved as is. If I was closer I would take it!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

howdy_doody

Thank you all for the comments.  I spent some more time looking it over.  It doesn't appear that there is any simple way to disassemble these;  looks like they're screwed together and the holes all filled up.  It is one solid piece...

I'm going to try and get it out of my basement but found the door to take it out was apparently switched. I will have to take apart the door frame to get it out.  If this gets too bad I'm getting out a chainsaw!

FABphones

Quote from: howdy_doody on May 08, 2020, 06:29:47 PM
I'm going to try and get it out of my basement but found the door to take it out was apparently switched. I will have to take apart the door frame to get it out.  If this gets too bad I'm getting out a chainsaw!

Or you could sell it with the proviso 'buyer dismantles' and let someone with a little more knowledge take it apart.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

This one that seems similar but with all the bells and whistles and a real phone sold recently for a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Telephone-Booth-/193443626792

Jim Stettler

Thank you all for the comments.  I spent some more time looking it over.  It doesn't appear that there is any simple way to disassemble these;  looks like they're screwed together and the holes all filled up.  It is one solid piece...

They typically are 4 panels, a top, and a bottom. Yours appears to have the exterior panels as well. They are designed to be site assembled.
The access for the screws are probably in the light  compartment and at the base.
The TCI Library site has BSP's for booths. It may be worth checking for info.
I prefer using the google search option for the library.
If you can find the nameplate for the booth , it should have the model #.
I would look in the light compartment.
TCI Library
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Value wise I usually see booths offered at $800-$3,000.
Selling price seems to be closer to $350- $500.

Yours is nice, however it is a painted finish  vs wood finish. Most non collectors wood prefer wood  I would offer it at $500-$800 and accept $350-500. Since it came with the house and you don't really want it, you could take less.
A haul away value is reasonable at $150-$200 with them doing most of the work.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RB

I can't tell what the ceiling is made of...
It looks kind of like a drop ceiling???.
If so, push up on an edge next to the booth, and see it it lifts loose.
If so, the grid can be jacked with to allow the booth to move. Then replaced and filled.
The room was finished AROUND the booth, So, it will take a bit to dislodge it.
Start at the ceiling, then follow the other directions provided, and I bet you can get it out.
Regards

Doug Rose

Thank you all for the comments.  If this gets too bad I'm getting out a chainsaw!
That's a shame....it is a great piece of history. Why exactly did you join the Forum?
Kidphone

Key2871

I agree that it's probably the top comes off first, then the walls should come apart etc. And it is a great booth worth every bit of $500. And maybe a little more.
And I understand the home owners mind set to get it the heck out. So cudos for them to come here and offer it to anyone here. Instead of hacking it and taking it to the dump.
KEN