News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1973 Magneto phone?

Started by Doug Rose, October 12, 2020, 08:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This has been sitting in my to do pile for years. It had most of the paint removed and was covered in rust. So covered it looked brown. I decided to get it painted, BUT when I started to clean it up for painting in presented well just shiny metal. Now painting is on hold.

Was this really made in 1973? Any info is appreciated....Doug

Kidphone

dsk

May it be repaired in 1973?  a n extremely long link, and I have to refresh it to get up the text and picture...

Similar Phone Link  (after clicking the link, hit the page refresh icon to see the page)

dsk

Doug Rose

Dag....that's it! Could be a repair date as your does not have it....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

countryman

Could as well have been made new in1973. The German railway for example used magneto phones very long, they were still made in the 1970ies.

dsk

Not easy to tell how long they made it, but metal cases were replaced by bakelite, and later plastic ....
In Norway the last version was designed and made from 1953 to about 1980.  The last magneto exchange was closed as late as 1992 (ish) Used phones was used to replace defect phones from the production stopped.
In mountains areas with no cell phone coverage the had this service in the summer to the sami people working with rain-deers.

dsk

rdelius

Made in Romania .It would not surprise me that magnito telephones were still being made in the Eastern Bloc at that date.

Russ62

This US market A.E catalog section dated 1973 from the TCI document repository  shows magneto telephones foe railroad use on page 20.  pdf AE Catalog 11000 - Section M - Station Equipment & Supplies - Jun73 Popular

countryman

Here you still can order new ones:
https://www.sts-sprenger.de/telekommunikation/ob-fernsprecher

I guess there is a small demand to keep up existing systems in emergency or industrial applications, e.g. in mines.

19and41

I'd at least photocopy the back panel and fold it up and put it in the phone.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke