News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help IDing a Kellogg Grabaphone

Started by Grumpy99705, October 16, 2020, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy99705

One of my projects that I've been putting off finally made it's way to my bench. The Grabaphone handset intimidates me LOL
It appears to be a Grabaphone extension or intercom unit
As you can see in the picture, it has it's own coil and condenser (which are Kellogg parts) with no provision for a ringer.
There is no mention of it in Catalog #7, and I have nothing older.
I've been unable to find anything like it referenced on the internet.
Anyone have any ideas?
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

Grumpy99705

And disregard all.
I found a copy of catalog #6 which has it listed as an F732. Which was part of an intercom system...
Funny how you can feel dumb and smarter in the same breath
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

Key2871

KEN

RB

So... Wuteryou gonna do with it?
I had a similar one, no cap.
It gave it's life to two other projects, so, good enuf.
Anyway, if it is LB, hook it to another LB phone.
The Gen can be anything. it just interrupts the line for the crankin.
My late Big Bro found me a WE metal box, with nothin but xmit, rec, line switch.
I put my grabber parts into it, and made me a gen box to put beneath it.
I am no expert, but wuddya think?
It is line 3 on my pony board ;)

paul-f

Quote from: Grumpy99705 on October 16, 2020, 02:08:35 PM
There is no mention of it in Catalog #7, and I have nothing older.
I've been unable to find anything like it referenced on the internet.
Anyone have any ideas?

Since you obviously have an interest in Kellogg, hopefully you have found the TCI Library as an information source.

There's a lot of Kellogg info in the main Library and a special page highlighting Kellogg documents:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Grumpy99705

My interest in Kelloggs comes from my grandfather. He was a lineman thru GM of a small independent phone company in Iowa from late '30s til he retired in '79ish. I grew up with Kelloggs, S-C, Leich, and some of the oddest Frankenphones you've ever seen. He could make anything work with pretty much anything else.
Since his death, my dad has been sending me flat rate boxes with phones, parts, tools...
Im restoring the phones as best I can. Will probably see who here wants/needs the parts
That Grabaphone was a challenge. The handset intimidated me. Who the hell uses hex head screws with 1/16in size heads? More over; who the hell makes a wrench that small?
But it's cleaned up and back together. It's one of the very few that I can't/won't restore to working order. The cap is shot, so is the xmitr. and I like to stay true to design and not use new stuff just to get it to work.

Grumpy99705

RB...
I really like that idea. I have an S-C 1130 that I could press into use like that.
I have a 3 bar generator somewhere. May have to give that a shot.
The Graba is just going to hang on the wall and look old